Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rolling Valley Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankfurtTransplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rolling Valley Questions
    Posted: 19 May 2010 at 9:54am
Hi everyone,
My family and I have just moved back to the DC area after several years overseas. We are potentially going to buy in the Orange Hunt or Cardinal Hill areas. I need to commute to L'Enfant Plaza and am considering using the slug line at Rolling Valley. My questions are: how long does the drive from RV to L'Enfant take?; is it easy to find a driver bound for L'Enfant?; and is RV walkable from Orange Hunt Estates? Thank you.
Frankfurt Transplant
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2010 at 12:19pm
Frank,
It's quite a walk (at least a mile to mile-and-a-half) from Orange Hunt Estates to the Rolling Valley Mall Commuter lot. If you live there it's probably best for you to drive and park at Rolling Valley commuter parking - or have someone drop you off there.

Drive time depends on what time you need to be at work. I can't answer for L'Enfant, but (from my 20+ years experience) at 6:15 to 6:30 AM it takes about 15-30 minutes max to drive from Rolling Valley to the Pentagon/Crystal City exit (about 10-12 miles total), and about 5 minutes longer to Rosslyn. Traffic on Old Keene Mill Rd and I-395 gets much heavier after 6:45-7:00 AM, and can add another 10 to 20 minutes (or more) to that morning commute.

Someone who commutes across the river each day can give you better info on drive times and ride availability/best times for Rolling Valley to L'Enfant and other downtown locations.

DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2010 at 12:30pm
Regarding your 2nd question - I don't know what time you commute, but between 6 and 6:30 there are both a fair number of riders and drivers. Getting to L'Enfant (aka 7th and D) shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck.
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2010 at 1:29pm
If you drive your call 1.5 miles each way, you will kill it.
hiker View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hiker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2010 at 12:09pm
It would be a bit of a hike to RV. The sidewalks are not the greatest along the way. I live a bit closer to RV and drive, not because the walk is not 'do-able' but b/c the route has no sidewalks for part of the way.
I've clocked it from my house and it is about 2 miles (Keene Village) but much of that is due to my living about as far from Old Keene Mill Dr. as one can get in this subdivision.
I don't routinely slug into DC but about 2-3 times a month do so. Since the blizzard of 2010, I've found that it takes longer than in the past. I'd guess another 15 minutes beyond the Crystal City commute.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic