Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedA proposal for hybrids

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A proposal for hybrids
    Posted: 17 Apr 2003 at 10:07am
Allowing hybrids and other alternative fuel cars on I-95 HOV with one occupant is giving them a double benefit because the highway is HOV-3. As I understand it, hybrids are allowed in most of the HOV lanes in the U.S. However, many of the HOV lanes around the country are HOV-2, and the hybrid is only getting a reduction of one person. I-95 is HOV-3 so they are getting a double benefit.

A more logical approach (until our HOV system becomes jammed up with hybrids) would be to allow a reduction of one occupant for a given HOV type. Once it is obvious to the powers that be that allowing hybrids is a mistake, then the hybrid exception will be dropped.

Does anyone have any info on other HOVs around the country, what they are doing with hybrids, and whether hybrids are popular elsewhere?
3ForHOV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3ForHOV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2003 at 11:01am
My understanding of how hybrids work is this...they use GASOLINE when they are on the highway and switch over to ELECTRIC for inner city/suburb driving. If this is the case, they should be considered like every other gas guzzling vehicle out there and should obide with the HOV-3 rule.

I consider myself a conservationist/environmentalist and if I owned a hybrid, I would still swing by and pick up slugs on my way to work.
Vema View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2003 at 12:20pm
Hear!!!! Hear!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by 3ForHOV
[br]My understanding of how hybrids work is this...they use GASOLINE when they are on the highway and switch over to ELECTRIC for inner city/suburb driving. If this is the case, they should be considered like every other gas guzzling vehicle out there and should obide with the HOV-3 rule.

I consider myself a conservationist/environmentalist and if I owned a hybrid, I would still swing by and pick up slugs on my way to work.

wdossel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wdossel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2003 at 12:49pm
quote:
Originally posted by 3ForHOV
[br]My understanding of how hybrids work is this...they use GASOLINE when they are on the highway and switch over to ELECTRIC for inner city/suburb driving. If this is the case, they should be considered like every other gas guzzling vehicle out there and should obide with the HOV-3 rule.

Absolutely -- as I found myself the other day w/3 slugs onboard and surrounded by 4 hybrids (3 Hondas and a Prius) with only a driver, I'm thinking to myself, "what's wrong with this picture..." I should probably mention the line for PM was particularly long that day too.

- Will
swichowski View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swichowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2003 at 1:03pm
Someone told me there is a lady that picks up people in a Hybrid every day. I think at 610
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2003 at 9:46pm
All but the least common hybrid have 4 doors.. They should make use of all that passenger space. If the extension of their exception goes through, well over half of the vehicles in the HOV lanes will be hybrids before the next time it comes up.

As I understand it, only Virginia has the exception for hybrids regarding HOV. The Feds do not approve of the practice(permitting single occupant vehicles on hov), and may force their hand. I do not know if this is the case, but it is how one of the Virginia websites characterized the situation.
tdar20 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdar20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2003 at 7:55am
Well, there is a lot of mis-information about Hybrids out there as to how they operate. It does not switch over for city driving to the Hybrid power. When you are cruising along is when it works best. That being said I think the bigger problem is the HOV violators out there. Yesterday going home on the HOV lane at 4:00 pm was clogged with violators. Where is the enforcement?? It gets to the point that when you are driving at 6:30 am and 4 pm it is clogged with cars violating the rule. Would be nice to see enforcement stepped up.
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2003 at 3:09am
In my opinion, there are a lot more "legal" single occupancy vehicles, than violators most of the time. The solution is to make HOV, HOV-4 or 5, so there's room for all the "legal" single occupancy vehicles before it's too late.

Either that, or cut down the exemptions.
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2003 at 8:44am
quote:
Originally posted by MDC
[br]In my opinion, there are a lot more "legal" single occupancy vehicles, than violators most of the time. The solution is to make HOV, HOV-4 or 5, so there's room for all the "legal" single occupancy vehicles before it's too late.

Either that, or cut down the exemptions.

I propose that the HOV lanes be reserved strictly for "exception" vehicles. The special lanes should be for special people only - diplomats, law enforcement, the very rich, and lawyers. Let the cars carying multiple passengers ride in the regular lanes with the rest of the peasants.

Mike[:o)][8][:o)]
swichowski View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swichowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2003 at 8:56am
Thats how it is now I thought. [:)]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic