Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedA proposal for hybrids

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3ForHOV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2003 at 10:19am
I propose that the HOV lanes be reserved strictly for "exception" vehicles. The special lanes should be for special people only - diplomats, law enforcement, the very rich, and lawyers. Let the cars carying multiple passengers ride in the regular lanes with the rest of the peasants.

Mike[:o)][8][:o)]

[?]Wonder what would happen if we boycotted the HOV lanes for a day.[?] Guess the cops would have to call in for backup to get the cheaters since there wouldn't be any non-violators in the lanes. We would have to do it at the end of the month because that's usually when they make their presence.
I know, this is just wishful thinking. I'll go back to sleep now.
Mr. Bill View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2003 at 11:56am
I think that one of the reasons to buy a Hybrid is the HOV exemption. My guess is that there would be fewer buyers if they got no extra benefit for the cost. Other comments:

(1) Besides the HOV violators, the group that bothers me is the 9am and 6pm shoulder sitters club. These cars are just an accident waiting to happen.
(2) It would better if they would extend the HOV in VA to 6:30 as it is in MD.
(3) I wish that there were more HOV enforcement. Who do the violators think that they are?
lotsa View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lotsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2003 at 7:50am
Who do the violators think they are? Well, from the few I've talked to who have admitted being violators, they think in a way that is not good for the big picture, only what is good for them as an individual. Unfortunately, that is one of the reasons that we need laws - because of people who think like that. Now, if we only had someone with some horse sense making the decisions about who is and isn't allowed in the HOV lanes. I also agree with the 6:30pm extension for HOV hours. Years ago it was 6:30pm, but the single drivers complained big time, and, well...you can see what the outcvome was.
3ForHOV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3ForHOV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2003 at 10:01am
quote:
Originally posted by lotsa
[br]Who do the violators think they are? Well, from the few I've talked to who have admitted being violators, they think in a way that is not good for the big picture, only what is good for them as an individual. Unfortunately, that is one of the reasons that we need laws - because of people who think like that. Now, if we only had someone with some horse sense making the decisions about who is and isn't allowed in the HOV lanes. I also agree with the 6:30pm extension for HOV hours. Years ago it was 6:30pm, but the single drivers complained big time, and, well...you can see what the outcvome was.

3ForHOV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3ForHOV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2003 at 10:11am
quote:
Originally posted by 3ForHOV
[br]
Originally posted by lotsa
[br]Who do the violators think they are? Well, from the few I've talked to who have admitted being violators, they think in a way that is not good for the big picture, only what is good for them as an individual. Unfortunately, that is one of the reasons that we need laws - because of people who think like that.

Unfortunately, these are the same people who think they are above the law and will continue about their own business. There's reason why they are included in the food chain -- without them, the cops and state wouldn't make any money and our taxes would go up. I'm so fed up with them that I've chosen to ignore them and maybe one day they'll get busted.
mroyal View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mroyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2003 at 4:03pm
As new (co)owner of a Honda Hybrid, I can say without hesitation that HOV access was a strong reason for purchasing. Why?
Because my wife's work location and times do not readily support carpool and/or mass transit. Why not pick up slugs?
Two reasons,
1) She is not comfortable doing so if she is the only one in the car.
2) It is simply not convenient (Pentagon would add 30 minutes to her commute) and..
okay three,
3) She doesn't need to. That's why we bought the car.

So, the incentive for creating HOV is to remove vehicles from the road. Instead of three vehicles, you have one. It's also an incentive to buy a vehicle that uses (at least) 1/3 less energy resources and generates (at least) 1/3 less emmissions.

Note: I slug every day only because its more convenient for me than any other mode of commute. Government commuter subsidies have eliminated the economical reasons.
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2003 at 8:58pm
mroyal,
Of course picking up slugs or slugging takes more time than driving your car in the HOV lanes with no passengers. It does for everyone.

Hybrids do nothing to alleviate congestion. They use much more than 1/3 as much gas as the average car. Heck, they don't even qualify for the Virginia "Clean Fuel" license plates as the law was originally written.
Arbo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2003 at 7:44am
MDC - AMEN!
gg View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2003 at 8:47am
mroyal,

The first reason for not picking up slugs because your wife is not comfortable -- a really lame excuse. There is no guarantee that you might pick up someone a little odd but for the years that I've been slugging, I have yet to encounter someone absolutely objectionable. You seem to understand the principles behind this system and it's unfortunate that you couldn't convince your wife. Your third reason, because she doesn't need to, is really shoving "it" [V] into our faces (I used the word face as a substitute for another word).

gg
mroyal View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mroyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2003 at 1:05pm
Not shoving anything, and I apologize if that is the way it was received. I'm just stating facts. My point is that I and many others slug for convenience and/or cost savings. If it were more convenient and/or cheaper (as well as legal) to drive solo, then my bet is that we all would. The Hybrid does in fact use 1/3 less gas than my other vehicle and a lot more than 1/3 less emmisions.
It is currently more convenient and cheaper for my wife to drive solo. You (collectively) have noticed the fact that the HOV incentive to buy hybrids is causing more hybrids to be sold in metro areas. This increases the market and provides automakers with an incentive to build more. So, what do we do when the number of hybrids (with solo drivers) outnumber the vehicles with 3 persons onboard? That is a good question and a perhaps a good problem to have. I suspect that the answer is to figure out a way to balance the incentives.

btw,
Slugging in not a religion or something we do for the good of the mankind. If you think that it is and/or that is your incentive, then good for you. There are other things I can do for mankind.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic