Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedA proposal for hybrids

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mroyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2003 at 1:14pm
quote:
Originally posted by gg
[br]mroyal,

The first reason for not picking up slugs because your wife is not comfortable -- a really lame excuse. There is no guarantee that you might pick up someone a little odd but for the years that I've been slugging, I have yet to encounter someone absolutely objectionable. You seem to understand the principles behind this system and it's unfortunate that you couldn't convince your wife. Your third reason, because she doesn't need to, is really shoving "it" [V] into our faces (I used the word face as a substitute for another word).

gg

I must also add that you don't have any idea whether the first "excuse" is lame or not. That which is comfortable or at least acceptable to one person may have a complete opposite affect an another person. The fact that someone is uncomfortable flying in an airplane and thereby avoiding flying is not a "lame excuse" for not flying. It is a completely valid "excuse."

No flame intended,
mroyal
tdar20 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdar20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2003 at 7:56am
GG, got to agree with MROYAl on this. Who are you to determine if his wife is uncomfortable with slugs or not?? I believe it is her decision, therefore stating it is lame is out of line. We all have a right to make the decision to slug, drive or take any other method to get to our jobs.
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2003 at 8:31am
quote:
Originally posted by mroyal

You (collectively) have noticed the fact that the HOV incentive to buy hybrids is causing more hybrids to be sold in metro areas. This increases the market and provides automakers with an incentive to build more. So, what do we do when the number of hybrids (with solo drivers) outnumber the vehicles with 3 persons onboard? That is a good question and a perhaps a good problem to have. I suspect that the answer is to figure out a way to balance the incentives.

If you are inferring that you believe that hybrids (or maybe some other as yet unidentified alternate-type vehicle) will come to rule the auto market, I tend to agree. I think that market pressures, including incentives like tax breaks or free passes to HOV, will bring that about, but my guess is that the incentives will become less important in driving the market to hybrids/alternatives and will fall by the wayside. So I don't think we will ever see the day when solo hybrids actually outnumber HOV3's.

Just my $1.49 per gallon's worth...

Mike
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2003 at 8:50am
quote:

Just my $1.49 per gallon's worth...

Mike

Wow...where do you get gas!?!?! [:o)] Just Kidding... [:D]
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2003 at 9:55am
I can completely understand someone not wanting to use slugging as an answer to commuting, for whatever reason.

I'm willing to put money on this. Everyone who slugs or picks up slugs has told others about how they get to work an come across those who are just completely astonished and taken aback at what a risky thing you do on a daily basis. My parents absolutely loathe the fact that I slug/pick up slugs. My father is constantly on my back to take the train (then I ask him if he wants to pay for it...[;)]). Some folks will never be convinced that slugging is an OK thing to do. When I was first told of how this whole system worked, I was pretty floored as well, knowing all the trust and mutual respect needed to be involved (that you rarely see) to make such a system work. The only thing that made me feel safe was my military background and keen foresight for danger and knowing that if anything went down I had a better chance of reacting correctly that not. Not everyone has the benefit of that confidence to keep themselves from a dangerous situation. Or maybe they have already had a bad experience and trusting others may be a serious issue. It's hard to tell. I'd give someone the benefit of the doubt. Besides, I'd rather the skittish folks do their own thing instead of sitting in my vehicle, likely to flip out if I take a different route to circumvent an accident!!
gg View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2003 at 10:03am
mroyal,

You've made a number of points and I would like to address each one but this post would be extremely long and would be inappropriate. So, I'll counter your one point about your wife's excuse not being lame. I used the word lame defined as being weak, that is, a weak excuse. I just took your choice of the word uncomfortable to mean how it is defined, causing discomfort or annoyance. Being uncomfortable is a relative term and could range from "I don't feel like it" to a raging fit.

There is not much about slugging that is comfortable, other than it's convenient, timely, no cost (for the slugs), and could spark interesting conversations. Additionally, I find it somewhat satisfying knowing that everyone meets their needs and this system significantly helps with the traffic and environment. But this forum is entrenched with people's complaints about everything under the sun because they feel "uncomfortable". For example, people don't like it when a slug snores, or that a car speeds, or that the radio is tuned to a station not pc, or that...

Nevertheless, we do it because it makes sense and tolerate all the possible negatives about slugging. On the other hand, if your wife is really afraid of being in car with a couple of strangers, then I can understand that sentiment and I could not justify forcing someone against their will. But I believe I have the right to call her excuse lame if she is uncomfortable, using the true sense of the word. If the analogy of feeling uncomfortable flying is like slugging, and you're implying that your wife really has a phobia about slugging, then that fear is legitimate and therefore her excuse is not lame but a resplendent excuse that I cannot criticize. If this is the case, it did not come across that way in your first post and I apologize.

The shadowing point of my previous post was to say that hybrids are not the answer to our traffic mess. IMHO, hybrid drivers are elitists and the whole thing seems unfair. Now, in your wife's case, I just made assumptions and responded accordingly.

tdar20, he said that is wife is uncomfortable with others in the car, I did not have to determine that fact. I am stating that her excuse is lame, not her decision. You are right that everyone has the right to make their decisions, but I don't have the right to call someone's excuse lame?

-- no flames intended toward anyone at this time, but I might reconsider later [:)]
gg
gg View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2003 at 10:17am
mirangus,

Have you noticed how many women slug? a lot, I would guess 50%. I think that says a lot about the system.

When you said you had a military background I assumed that you were a man, but then again I can't tell from your post. But if you are a man with a military background, doesn't that make it even more astonishing? Now, if you are a woman, I am not trying to lessen the point but commend all the women that slug.

gg
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2003 at 2:25pm
quote:
Originally posted by gg
[br]mirangus,

Have you noticed how many women slug? a lot, I would guess 50%. I think that says a lot about the system.

When you said you had a military background I assumed that you were a man, but then again I can't tell from your post. But if you are a man with a military background, doesn't that make it even more astonishing? Now, if you are a woman, I am not trying to lessen the point but commend all the women that slug.

gg

gg-

I am female and the reason that I brought up my military background was actually to accentuate my point. That without the preparedness that I received from the military to deal with dangerous situations, I, myself, might be hesitant to use the slug system. I would probably still do it, but not feel as OK with it. But I guess since I neglected to state my gender, I can see how my point may not have hit home. Sorry for the exclusion.

However, on the same note as before... 50% of sluggers may very well be women, but even that fact may not be enough for some women to feel comfortable slugging, esp. when you take into account the chances of riding in a vehicle with 2 other men. Some may have difficulties with that in their mind. In comparison, 50% of those who walk around in DC alone at night may be women, but you can sure bet that I won't be one of them unless there is a REALLY good reason, know what I mean?? [;)]

Like I said before, if I didn't have confidence that I could take care of myself in the event of a nasty situation, I may have been hesitant to slug. Now, I've been slugging for a few years now and know, from experience, that a bad situation is NOT likely to happen. But I had the self-confidence BEFORE I started slugging and that made all the difference. Others may not be feeling as well prepared as me or you and don't want to slug. That's their choice and perfectly OK. Oh, BTW, I'm not even limiting the hesitation to just women. I know some men that would never slug.

I hope this clarifies for you what I was trying to state earlier. [:)]

gg View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2003 at 4:00pm
Mirangus,

You have made yourself perfectly clear. Thank you.

gg
mroyal View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mroyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2003 at 6:56pm
Very good replies, all.

We are well met.

If you will allow one final comment, I'll step aside for any last words. You may have noticed my quotations are the word "excuse." My wife being uncomfortable is the reason that she doesn't pick up slugs; it is not the excuse. An excuse is not necessary, as she is breaking no rules - neither legal, or moral.

Kindest Regards,

mroyal
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic