Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedA proposal for hybrids

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Megled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2003 at 4:07pm
No need to feel you must explain yourself to such a degree to people who spout off as gg does. tdar hit in on the head and gg is way out of line. However your wife feels is valid and how anyone else feels about her reasons is totally irrevlant. Take care!

quote:
Originally posted by mroyal
[br]Very good replies, all.

We are well met.

If you will allow one final comment, I'll step aside for any last words. You may have noticed my quotations are the word "excuse." My wife being uncomfortable is the reason that she doesn't pick up slugs; it is not the excuse. An excuse is not necessary, as she is breaking no rules - neither legal, or moral.

Kindest Regards,

mroyal

mroyal View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mroyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2003 at 2:57pm
No specific message, I just wanted to raise this thread back to the top, since it is so related to the other hybrid thread.

Kindest Regards,

mroyal
vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2003 at 1:12pm
quote:
[br]No specific message, I just wanted to raise this thread back to the top, since it is so related to the other hybrid thread.

Kindest Regards,

mroyal

I must say mroyal, you enjoy keeping these threads going. To push a little further, is there any news on when the state government will take these vehicles out of the HOV lanes unless they have three or more riders? Again, I find it amazing that some vehicles qualify for HOV with no riders when others do not. I have seen or heard nothing from an environmental standpoint that qualifies hybrids for HOV access. A vehicle is a vehicle is a vehicle and they all should be treated the same. All these thousands of vehicles each day travel up and down I-95 emitting "whatever" into the environment. Now, tell me why or how one vehicle, because of its make-up can all of a sudden clean up the area by driving in the HOV lanes? It makes no sense and the law should be, drive with one rider and drive in regular lanes. This is one rule I do not and never will understand, regardless of [?] gas/electrical mileage. Based on what I saw this a.m., the HOV lanes are full of hybrids, some with other riders inside but the majority, single drivers. But that's the law and we'll abide by it until it changes, which should be in the very near future if it continues the way it is now. Thanks
viper View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2003 at 3:18pm
quote:

We are well met.

If you will allow one final comment, I'll step aside for any last words. You may have noticed my quotations are the word "excuse." My wife being uncomfortable is the reason that she doesn't pick up slugs; it is not the excuse. An excuse is not necessary, as she is breaking no rules - neither legal, or moral.

Kindest Regards,

mroyal

mroyal,

Just because you have the "right" to do something does not make it right.

Buying your way onto the HOV (that stands for "high occupancy vehicle") is simply taking advantage of the current rules for one's self at the expense of others. The old "looking out for number one."

If many more people take your position and follow in your footsteps we'll have a clogged HOV and more pollutants in the air.

V/R
Viper
tlschau View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlschau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2003 at 10:34am
Keep in mine everyone that Virginia can undo or change the law regarding hybrids and HOV lanes at any time. And given federal influence on such matters I would say that a change will likely occur sooner rather than later.
bernestih View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bernestih Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2003 at 9:09am
Hi All

It is my understanding that the hybrids are only allowed to utilize the HOV under 2004, Otherwise, HOV will be like the regular lanes. . .hmmmmmm.
mroyal View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mroyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2003 at 9:58am
quote:
Originally posted by vabigblue
[br]
quote:
[br]No specific message, I just wanted to raise this thread back to the top, since it is so related to the other hybrid thread.

Kindest Regards,

mroyal

I must say mroyal, you enjoy keeping these threads going. To push a little further, is there any news on when the state government will take these vehicles out of the HOV lanes unless they have three or more riders? Again, I find it amazing that some vehicles qualify for HOV with no riders when others do not. I have seen or heard nothing from an environmental standpoint that qualifies hybrids for HOV access. A vehicle is a vehicle is a vehicle and they all should be treated the same. All these thousands of vehicles each day travel up and down I-95 emitting "whatever" into the environment. Now, tell me why or how one vehicle, because of its make-up can all of a sudden clean up the area by driving in the HOV lanes? It makes no sense and the law should be, drive with one rider and drive in regular lanes. This is one rule I do not and never will understand, regardless of [?] gas/electrical mileage. Based on what I saw this a.m., the HOV lanes are full of hybrids, some with other riders inside but the majority, single drivers. But that's the law and we'll abide by it until it changes, which should be in the very near future if it continues the way it is now. Thanks

I am surprised to read that you know what I enjoy, but your statements such as "This is one rule I do not and never will understand..." is enough for me to not try to explain. There are sufficient questions and answers in these two threads to allow rational understanding of the situation. There are also statements, which I consider to be irrational, such as "The HOV lanes are full of hybrids..."

If you have read my opinions, they are:
The Clean Fuel exemption for HOV is a good thing.
The Hybrids are recognized by Federal and State laws as Clean Fuel vehicles.
It's okay to have single occupancy in HOV when it is legal.
I think the Law Enforcement exemption is abused by government officials (especially Feds.)
There will come a time when there will be too many Clean Fuel vehicles in the HOV lane.
The time is not now.
But, when that happens, the law should be changed.

Other subjects:
I am totally against HOT, unless they are separated from HOV.
I am in favor of HOV2 on I-95 outside of the beltway.

In case you missed it, I don't drive a hybrid, my wife does. I am a slugger, out of convenience and economy.

Your mileage may vary,

Kindest Regards,

mroyal
mroyal View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mroyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2003 at 10:07am
quote:
Originally posted by viper
[br]
quote:

We are well met.

Kindest Regards,

mroyal

mroyal,

Just because you have the "right" to do something does not make it right.

Buying your way onto the HOV (that stands for "high occupancy vehicle") is simply taking advantage of the current rules for one's self at the expense of others. The old "looking out for number one."

If many more people take your position and follow in your footsteps we'll have a clogged HOV and more pollutants in the air.

V/R
Viper

Interesting.
So, just because I have the right to make a deduction on my income tax, that doesn't mean I should. Just because I am able to "buy into" a new home and claim a deduction on mortgage interest, I shouldn't, because renters are not afforded the same deduction. Just because I am married...
Naw, sorry. It doesn't pan out.

"..and more pollutants in the air."

Nope, just the opposite.

Kindest Regards,

mroyal
vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2003 at 9:40am
quote:
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by vabigblue
[br]
quote:

Kindest Regards,

mroyal

I am surprised to read that you know what I enjoy, but your statements such as "This is one rule I do not and never will understand..." is enough for me to not try to explain. There are sufficient questions and answers in these two threads to allow rational understanding of the situation. There are also statements, which I consider to be irrational, such as "The HOV lanes are full of hybrids..."

If you have read my opinions, they are:
The Clean Fuel exemption for HOV is a good thing.
The Hybrids are recognized by Federal and State laws as Clean Fuel vehicles.
It's okay to have single occupancy in HOV when it is legal.
I think the Law Enforcement exemption is abused by government officials (especially Feds.)
There will come a time when there will be too many Clean Fuel vehicles in the HOV lane.
The time is not now.
But, when that happens, the law should be changed.

Other subjects:
I am totally against HOT, unless they are separated from HOV.
I am in favor of HOV2 on I-95 outside of the beltway.

In case you missed it, I don't drive a hybrid, my wife does. I am a slugger, out of convenience and economy.

Your mileage may vary,

Kindest Regards,

mroyal

Oh, I understand what you "enjoy". You're no different than anyone else. You own a hybrid, so I expect you to make these excuses and differences. It still does not make it proper to ride in HOV lanes alone. How 'bout "clean air vehicles" for regular lanes? I mean, if HOV lanes were separated from regular lanes by a mile or so, I could understand your rational; however, these lanes are separated by jersey walls only. How much sense does that make to say "the clean fuel exemption for HOV is a good thing"? Come on, you must admit, with as many vehicles as we have out there, everything mixes and there's no such thing as "clean fuel" along the I-95 corridor. Again, your points are valid ones, only to you and other hybrid owners. As you can see, understanding folks, such non-hybrid owners make valid points as well and to me, these points are easier to understand rather than submitting this c/r/a/p about "clean fuel exemption for HOV". Thanks
VA_Slugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VA_Slugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2003 at 12:21pm
Vabigblue, well said about the distance between the HOV lane and the "regular" lane. But, mroyal has some valid points too. Why not take advantage of the "savings" and do "what you can" for the environment. Just an observation. Good Day to all!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic