Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedA proposal for hybrids

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2003 at 8:25am
quote:
Originally posted by VA_Slugger
[br]Vabigblue, well said about the distance between the HOV lane and the "regular" lane. But, mroyal has some valid points too. Why not take advantage of the "savings" and do "what you can" for the environment. Just an observation. Good Day to all!

vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2003 at 8:30am
quote:
Originally posted by VA_Slugger
[br]Vabigblue, well said about the distance between the HOV lane and the "regular" lane. But, mroyal has some valid points too. Why not take advantage of the "savings" and do "what you can" for the environment. Just an observation. Good Day to all!

Thanks "Slugger". I certainly am for the good of the environment; however, that doesn't seem to be all there is to it with this thread. I said what I thought was necessary and won't resond to any more "hhybrid" posts. It's all just an opinion and I won't try to change anyone else's just voice mine at the appropriate opportunity. Thanks again.
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2003 at 9:53pm
If they hybrid owners are driving them to help keep the environment clean, they should be in the regular lanes. They would get better mileage, and better emmissions there according to everything I've read on "hybrid" gas-electric technology.

1 is not HOV.
mroyal View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mroyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2003 at 11:55am
Ya'll just don't get it. I'll try one last time, then I give up.
The government wants to provide enough incentive to get people to buy low emmision vehicles.

The question is "What is the proper level of incentive?"
For some, high MPG does it.
For others, environmental issues do it.

But HOV4-1 was *the* incentive that caused my family to buy a hybrid. Without that incentive, we would have purchased some other vehicle.

So, the incentive is working.

Kindest Regards,

mroyal
eziggy3 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eziggy3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2003 at 12:18pm
It's actually 2006. Go Hybrid!

quote:
Originally posted by bernestih
[br]Hi All

It is my understanding that the hybrids are only allowed to utilize the HOV under 2004, Otherwise, HOV will be like the regular lanes. . .hmmmmmm.

eziggy3
eziggy3 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eziggy3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2003 at 12:21pm

Oh, I understand what you "enjoy". You're no different than anyone else. You own a hybrid, so I expect you to make these excuses and differences. It still does not make it proper to ride in HOV lanes alone. How 'bout "clean air vehicles" for regular lanes? I mean, if HOV lanes were separated from regular lanes by a mile or so, I could understand your rational; however, these lanes are separated by jersey walls only. How much sense does that make to say "the clean fuel exemption for HOV is a good thing"? Come on, you must admit, with as many vehicles as we have out there, everything mixes and there's no such thing as "clean fuel" along the I-95 corridor. Again, your points are valid ones, only to you and other hybrid owners. As you can see, understanding folks, such non-hybrid owners make valid points as well and to me, these points are easier to understand rather than submitting this c/r/a/p about "clean fuel exemption for HOV". Thanks

How can you say he is making excuses when he is following the law?

eziggy3
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2003 at 8:05pm
It's like an excuse because people using HOV without passengers are relying on an exemption to the law. They are called High Occupancy lanes for a reason.
Arbo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2003 at 11:57am
To me, the real question is whether the people buying hybrids would have bought them if they couldn't use the HOV lanes by themselves. I know one person in my office bought their's for that reason only .
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2003 at 7:03pm
Arbo-

That is an awesome point!! I have talked to many others with similar stories, that they purchased a hybrid for the express purpose of riding in the HOV alone. Too many. Now don't get me wrong, I have no opinion at all concerning hybrids in the HOV lanes. It's not causing that much congestion right now. Maybe it will later, but it will be reconsidered in 3 years, so they'll canx it at that time if necessary. Not to mention that it's part of the law right now, so more power to 'em.

What gets me is everyone who defends their choice of getting a hybrid because of their "positive effects on the environment." And they are saying this while they are riding by themselves, smoking a cigarette. Get real.

Now this isn't for everyone. Those who are concerned about the environment and are motivated as such are usually carrying 2 more passengers/slugs as well as themselves. But for the others...at least be honest with yourselves and say "I have a hybrid to suit my own needs." Hybrids save money on gas (allegedly) and make the commute time that much faster...nothin' wrong with that. Heck, if I could stand the looks of any of the hybrids currently on the market, I might be tempted to do the same thing, I can't say for sure. But don't get on here and tout your ecological virtues while you're by yourself in your hybrid.
mroyal View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mroyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2003 at 8:04am
quote:
Originally posted by mirangus
[br]Arbo-

That is an awesome point!! I have talked to many others with similar stories, that they purchased a hybrid for the express purpose of riding in the HOV alone.

We did. The rest of the benefits is icing.

quote:

Too many. Now don't get me wrong, I have no opinion at all concerning hybrids in the HOV lanes. It's not causing that much congestion right now. Maybe it will later, but it will be reconsidered in 3 years, so they'll canx it at that time if necessary. Not to mention that it's part of the law right now, so more power to 'em.

Thank you

quote:

What gets me is everyone who defends their choice of getting a hybrid because of their "positive effects on the environment." And they are saying this while they are riding by themselves, smoking a cigarette. Get real.

We don't smoke. But my other car is a SUV.

quote:

Now this isn't for everyone. Those who are concerned about the environment and are motivated as such are usually carrying 2 more passengers/slugs as well as themselves. But for the others...at least be honest with yourselves and say "I have a hybrid to suit my own needs." Hybrids save money on gas (allegedly) and make the commute time that much faster...nothin' wrong with that.

That's all I have ever said. Convenience and economy.

quote:

Heck, if I could stand the looks of any of the hybrids currently on the market, I might be tempted to do the same thing, I can't say for sure.

That's why the Civic is so popular. First time they used a regular body style.

quote:

But don't get on here and tout your ecological virtues while you're by yourself in your hybrid.

Okay, fair enough (but I never touted my virtues.)

Kindest Regards,

mroyal
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic