Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rt. 234 Disorganization

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raven_slug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2010 at 7:06am
Okay, this is really starting to bug me at the 234 lot. Some days there are signs and some days they are gone. Either we have some police activity removing them or disgruntled sluggers. Honestly i agree with those who think the lines need to be reverted to the old style. The new "organiztion" is confusing to both sluggers and drivers alike. Unless we can get permanent signs put up to get rid of the uncertainty, I doubt the lines will ever truly take root.

Considering that I also believe seperating all the locations into 4 lines is probably a little too over-cpmplicating it. At most we only need 2 lines, the DC line and the Pentagon et all line. There isn't enough demand to have seperate lines for the other locations.

My 2 cents. That is all.
keelhauld View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keelhauld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2010 at 11:14am
quote:
Originally posted by billr

Personnally, I didnt see what was wrong with the slug lines the way they were.

bill

Here’s what was wrong
• One or two alternate destination drivers parked at the front of the line awaiting slugs and a long line of slugs not going their way. This gums up the process.
• A Long line of 14th street slugs and a long line of Pentagon drivers. This also gums up the process as the one or two 14th street drivers at the back of the line can’t get to the slugs at the front.
keelhauld View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keelhauld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2010 at 11:28am
quote:
Originally posted by slugger2DC

This is a great idea to separate the lines however I feel as though the Pentagon line and the Washington, DC (14th St, L'Enfant, etc.) line should remain where it is. Many people have multiple locations they can go to and whatever the next car is that pulls up, they usually take it. For example, in order for me to get to my job, I can either go to the Pentagon metro, the L'Enfant metro or 14th & D Streets. Usually if I'm next in line, whatever car comes up, I jump in. To have the lines split makes people lose options and in turn you may have to wait in line longer.

I never go to Crystal City or Rossyln so I can not comment on whether or not their lines should be combined or separated. But I will say having the slug line at the entrance of the lot could back up others trying to get into the lot. People should stand at the other end of the row. That way, people can just hop in and the cars can drive out like normal.

Thanks for listening. [:)]

That’s great that you have flexibility and options but many of us don’t. The problem with lumping 14th St and other DC destinations in with the Pentagon is that you get a huge block of 14th St slugs at he front of the line (who don’t have the flexible options you do) and a long line of Pentagon drivers. This gums up the process. The Pentagon definitely needs its own line.

The more lines you have for more specific destinations the more drivers you will get for those currently lesser served destinations e.g. Chrystal City and Roslyn. Divers don’t like to wait and they don’t like slugger roulette they want to pick up a slug and go. Though you may provide them that option individually most other slugs can’t

I suggest you pick the shortest line of slugs every morning or the longest line of drivers, which ever works best. You still have options even with separate lines.
keelhauld View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keelhauld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2010 at 11:33am
quote:
Originally posted by Raven_slug

There isn't enough demand to have seperate lines for the other locations.

My 2 cents. That is all.

To increase demand and encourage more drivers you have to separate the lines. Drivers do not like to wait for callers to have to relay all the way down the line. They want to get in get the first slug and go. Separate the destination lines and you will get more drivers and more slugs to currently lesser served destinations.
keelhauld View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keelhauld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2010 at 11:36am
quote:
Originally posted by fnk1481

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
[:0]

It was broke....trust me it was definitely broke.
keelhauld View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keelhauld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2010 at 11:42am
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonda_Sluggin_1995

Rt. 234- Dumfries NEEDS TO BE ORGANIZED--Taking too long for pick-up!

Hey Family...

Time to get organized now that the expansion is complete. Let's work together to save everyone time and frustration. Summer heat is coming fast. Not rocket science here...we can follow the model from the Horner Road commuter lot as follows:

Starting on Monday morning, 14 June 2010, please begin to form lines in the designated rows as you drive into the lot. Look for the colored signs.

Flow of traffic...may need some modifications later, but for now,
after slugs climb into the car, bear left to exit the commuter lot as you are currently doing from the Pentagon pick-up.

1st lane. Pentagon pick-up line (near bus stop) Remains unchanged.

2nd lane. ALL Washington DC riders pick-up line. (Note: You should still clarify/negotiate final destination point before entering car.)

3rd lane. Crystal City pick-up lane.

4th lane. Rosslyn pick-up lane.

Should be quick, orderly, and save us all a lot of time, confusion, and morning stress...wait until you get into the office for that.

A fellow DHS slugger and I (driver) plan to have temporary signs put up by Sunday night to get us started.

P.S. OK PEOPLE...Let's be safe and UNSELFISH. SLOW DOWN and BE PATIENT while exiting. It's a change and (some folks...no you of course) will be confused until the new "lot pick-up patterns" are understood and adopted.

Thanks,
Rhonda SJ

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, and thank you some more! That so needed to happen.

I think it will likely take a couple more times of posting the line locations for it to really stick. I noticed today people had already forgotten the order for Chrystal City and Roslyn. 14th St mostly had things figured out but there were a coulple that need help finding the heard. If you need help posting markers again please leave a reply to this post.
fnk1481 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fnk1481 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2010 at 4:20pm
These message boards need Spell Check...
[:o)]
fruitfulone View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fruitfulone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 8:22am
I like the seperated lines. Yeah, people are going to be little confused at the beginning that's why you simply open your mouth and ask somebody. The signs helped. I don't know what happened to them, but since some people are having a hard time trying to grasp what line to go to, signs can help direct them.

Change is good people.

My 2 cents

Slugs Unite!
fruitfulone View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fruitfulone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 8:25am
quote:
Originally posted by Dale H

Is there a functioning line from the 234 lot to Rosslyn now? If so, has a corresponding return line been set up?

Dale H

Dale,

See forum here about my proposed new slug line between Rosslyn and 234: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11128

Slugs Unite!
mhutch218 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhutch218 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2010 at 8:30am
Lot 234

I think the Roslyn sign came down in the storm the other day and needs to be replaced. Thanks

~mhutch
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic