Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rt. 234 Disorganization

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwhayes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rt. 234 Disorganization
    Posted: 03 Jun 2010 at 3:48pm
Ever since the lot at Route 234 was expanded, it has been somewhat disorganized. The Pentagon and 14th Street lines need to be seperated to allow drivers and riders to find one another more quickly. How can we form a seperate line for 14th Street?
Rhonda_Sluggin_1995 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhonda_Sluggin_1995 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2010 at 7:31am
Rt. 234- Dumfries NEEDS TO BE ORGANIZED--Taking too long for pick-up!

Hey Family...

Time to get organized now that the expansion is complete. Let's work together to save everyone time and frustration. Summer heat is coming fast. Not rocket science here...we can follow the model from the Horner Road commuter lot as follows:

Starting on Monday morning, 14 June 2010, please begin to form lines in the designated rows as you drive into the lot. Look for the colored signs.

Flow of traffic...may need some modifications later, but for now,
after slugs climb into the car, bear left to exit the commuter lot as you are currently doing from the Pentagon pick-up.

1st lane. Pentagon pick-up line (near bus stop) Remains unchanged.

2nd lane. ALL Washington DC riders pick-up line. (Note: You should still clarify/negotiate final destination point before entering car.)

3rd lane. Crystal City pick-up lane.

4th lane. Rosslyn pick-up lane.

Should be quick, orderly, and save us all a lot of time, confusion, and morning stress...wait until you get into the office for that.

A fellow DHS slugger and I (driver) plan to have temporary signs put up by Sunday night to get us started.

P.S. OK PEOPLE...Let's be safe and UNSELFISH. SLOW DOWN and BE PATIENT while exiting. It's a change and (some folks...no you of course) will be confused until the new "lot pick-up patterns" are understood and adopted.

Thanks,
Rhonda SJ
billr View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2010 at 6:57am
Rhonda, change is good, but how about some forewarning! Posting a message here on Saturday and expecting everyone to know about it Monday morning is unrealistic.

I would suggested implementing the change on 21 June vice 14 June. This would give the drivers and passengers time to circulate the information amongst ourselves. Put up the signs e.g., "Future home of Rosslyn slug line" etc.

billr
Dale H View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2010 at 7:09am
Is there a functioning line from the 234 lot to Rosslyn now? If so, has a corresponding return line been set up?

Dale H
rae0568 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rae0568 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2010 at 11:47am
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonda_Sluggin_1995

Rt. 234- Dumfries NEEDS TO BE ORGANIZED--Taking too long for pick-up!

Hey Family...

Time to get organized now that the expansion is complete. Let's work together to save everyone time and frustration. Summer heat is coming fast. Not rocket science here...we can follow the model from the Horner Road commuter lot as follows:

Starting on Monday morning, 14 June 2010, please begin to form lines in the designated rows as you drive into the lot. Look for the colored signs.

Flow of traffic...may need some modifications later, but for now,
after slugs climb into the car, bear left to exit the commuter lot as you are currently doing from the Pentagon pick-up.

1st lane. Pentagon pick-up line (near bus stop) Remains unchanged.

2nd lane. ALL Washington DC riders pick-up line. (Note: You should still clarify/negotiate final destination point before entering car.)

3rd lane. Crystal City pick-up lane.

4th lane. Rosslyn pick-up lane.

Should be quick, orderly, and save us all a lot of time, confusion, and morning stress...wait until you get into the office for that.

A fellow DHS slugger and I (driver) plan to have temporary signs put up by Sunday night to get us started.

P.S. OK PEOPLE...Let's be safe and UNSELFISH. SLOW DOWN and BE PATIENT while exiting. It's a change and (some folks...no you of course) will be confused until the new "lot pick-up patterns" are understood and adopted.

Thanks,
Rhonda SJ

How about adding L'Enfant Plaza. I think it would be best to combine it with the Pentagon line.

Rae G
billr View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2010 at 12:35pm
Rae wrote "...How about adding L'Enfant Plaza. I think it would be best to combine it with the Pentagon line..."

but Rhonda wrote that ALL Washington riders line up together...

Personnally, I didnt see what was wrong with the slug lines the way they were.

bill
slugger2DC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugger2DC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2010 at 4:45pm
This is a great idea to separate the lines however I feel as though the Pentagon line and the Washington, DC (14th St, L'Enfant, etc.) line should remain where it is. Many people have multiple locations they can go to and whatever the next car is that pulls up, they usually take it. For example, in order for me to get to my job, I can either go to the Pentagon metro, the L'Enfant metro or 14th & D Streets. Usually if I'm next in line, whatever car comes up, I jump in. To have the lines split makes people lose options and in turn you may have to wait in line longer.

I never go to Crystal City or Rossyln so I can not comment on whether or not their lines should be combined or separated. But I will say having the slug line at the entrance of the lot could back up others trying to get into the lot. People should stand at the other end of the row. That way, people can just hop in and the cars can drive out like normal.

Thanks for listening. [:)]
billr View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2010 at 10:01am
Slugger2DC discusses riders who have multiple destinations. I go to Crystal City, but if the prospects are poor, I'll go to Pentagon and then make my way to Crystal City. Separate lines defeats that choice.

bill
fnk1481 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fnk1481 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2010 at 2:01pm
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
[:0]
billr View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2010 at 8:41am
IMHO, Some reasons why separate lines works for Horner Road and NOT 234 Lot:

1. Horner Road is massive and needs separate lines. The pure volume of riders and cars requires it.
2. Horner Road has easy one-way traffic flow to the slug pick-up lines and then directly to the HOV lane.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic