Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Etiquette and Rules

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2010 at 9:11pm
To all of you that think it mutually and equally beneficial for the slug and driver, I would simply point out that when they started ticketing people on 14th and Independance this week it was the DRIVERS that got the $100 ticket. I sincerely doubt that any slug chipped in for the ticket. And that's why drivers get to pick the radio station etc.

CJ
lennydao View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lennydao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 11:31am
Lets not pull the race card here 'go2grl'
Afican American is not the proper context for all black people. If the person was a rude black man, then the person was a rude BLACK man.
Anyways, I'm a 3-timer on HOV....so I'm greatful now for picking up slugs. I never been a slug but if your radio was a loud enough for someone to ask you to turn it down...then maybe it was loud, but if he was a jerk about it, then I say turn it louder and also turn on the heater and press the lock window button so he can't roll down the window. And then put the radio station on the spanish channel.
Our Mom Spot View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Our Mom Spot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 3:01pm
I'm with go2,

That part of the description was not a necessary part of the tale.

Clearly what stood out for the OP was that he was rude AND Black on top of it.

You did the SAME thing Lenny.

How do you know he would be bothered by the SPANISH channel?

I listen to Raulin Rodriguez in my car - but no one would guess that by looking at me.

The race card? Why - because someone pointed out an inappropriate comment.

Get real.

----------
Are you a mom?
Visit www.OurMomSpot.net ... a safe place for moms to have fun, LOL, & connect with other moms!
go2grl View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote go2grl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 4:12pm
quote:
Originally posted by lennydao

Lets not pull the race card here 'go2grl'
Afican American is not the proper context for all black people. If the person was a rude black man, then the person was a rude BLACK man.
Anyways, I'm a 3-timer on HOV....so I'm greatful now for picking up slugs. I never been a slug but if your radio was a loud enough for someone to ask you to turn it down...then maybe it was loud, but if he was a jerk about it, then I say turn it louder and also turn on the heater and press the lock window button so he can't roll down the window. And then put the radio station on the spanish channel.

I'm not pulling any card. He could have said African American and I would have said the same thing. Why give a person's race(regardless if it is black, white, brown, etc) and not give any other defining characteristic? Was he tall, short, fat, skinny, any other defining adjective that could help identify the individual? Had he seen the person at the Horner lot before, leading us to believe he might be a regular to keep an eye out for? I stand by my comment.
goober View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 3:58pm
Omni, please reply and tell us "objectively" if it was possibly too loud, offensive, or just a neutral and at a moderate level.
Pentagon1 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pentagon1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 10:26pm
CJ - sorry but it is mutually, and equally, beneficial. Drivers pay tickets. Slugs stand in line in hot temps/rain/snow/etc. We could go on and on...

Slugs are doing you a favor. You are doing them a favor.
Our Mom Spot View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Our Mom Spot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 2:32pm
"Favors" equal - for sure.

But liability falls squarely in the driver's lap. Someone here pointed that fact out...and so I think about that & because of it, I am very hesitant to take more than the required number of slugs.

----------
Are you a mom?
Visit www.OurMomSpot.net ... a safe place for moms to have fun, LOL, & connect with other moms!
CJ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2010 at 11:28am
Sorry, but I've been both a rider and a driver. Yeah it certainly sucks to stand out in the heat and the rain and the cold. BEEN THERE-DONE THAT. However as as rider I have NEVER incured a financial liability. As a rider I've never had to pay for gas, No cop has ever given me a ticket for standing at a commuter lot and God forbid, if I am ever in an accident while slugging, it will only be the driver getting sued by the slugs not the other way around, so when it comes to things like the radio etc well yeah its driver's choice. By the way, I also did a short stint riding the bus and it sucked more than any slug ride I've ever had.

CJ
CallmeMrSlug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CallmeMrSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2010 at 11:51pm
I am not sure I understand the whole liability issue. Liability incurs if the driver is negligent and causes an injury. I would presume, and it has been my good fortune, to ride with very careful drivers who insure against liability by driving safely. I would doubt they would drive less safely if there are three or four in the car, because the risk is no greater with 3 or 4 passengers but there might be a slight increase in exposure. And slugs don't get into a car hoping the driver gets into an accident so they can sue the driver. We just want to get to work and home from it as quick as you do. Although I have seen this concern expressed several times through the years, I am unaware of any documented case of a slug suing any driver.

Personally, if a driver got into a minor fender bender, unless I was carted off to a hospital with serious bodily injury, and the insurance company did not pay the expenses, I would never sue the driver. I think I assume somewhat of a risk when I get into a strangers car, and while the driver owes me a duty of care to drive safely, I have never thought of it as a situation where any minor accident is compensable unless there is a serious injury involved. And God Bless us, we have not have had that happen for as long as I have been riding. Most riders watch the road like the driver does, especially in the front seat. I would not hesitate to point out a dangerous situation to a driver or to just reaffirm the concern expressed by the driver. When there is a fourth in the vehicle it is just another set of eyes looking for the same type of problems for the driver. We really care that you get there safely, and we do empathize when traffic is bad, or heavy rain or snow falls. We are all in this together, and we want the same thing, a safe journey.

Oosik View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oosik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2010 at 9:56am
As liability was discussed earlier in this thread, it was first referring to drivers getting ticketed. But, when addressing potential liability to the driver if a slug is injured I believe taking more than required to drive HOV absolutely increases the exposure of the driver. As I have noted before, I would not leave a woman abandoned by herself and will and have taken slugs past the HOV time periods. However, the more passengers the more possibility that you have someone who is litigous and the more people who have potential to get hurt in an accident.

It's really simple mathematics and a reflection that accidents can happen. No driver is going to know if the slug they take is prone to file litigation if something bad happens -- I just choose not to rob slugs from other drivers and to increase my liability without good cause.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic