Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Etiquette and Rules

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pentagon1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2010 at 11:39am
CJ - I have been both rider and driver as well. Mostly driving daily for last 6 months or so. But I think you're missing the point -- You choose to drive. Slugs choose to ride.
If it was too much for someone to pay gas, incur potential liability, etc, then they don't drive. And if it's too much for slugs to tolerate rude drivers then they don't slug (which is one reason I switched to driving).

But the attitude that slugs are somehow obliged to tolerate rude drivers because they are somehow "doing them a favor" is ridiculous.
CJ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2010 at 2:54pm
Pentagon-
I never said that riders should tolerate rude drivers. In fact, I've never encountered either riders or drivers who were rude, then again I guess my definition of rude is different than yours. A driver listening to a radio station that I don't like is not rude. Having the radio a bit loud is not rude, it's annoying but not rude. Slugging is beneficial to both driver and rider-I never said it wasn't and yes I equate the cost of gas and maintenance as equal to the time a rider stands in the elements. BUT don't try to equate standing out in the rain to getting a $100 ticket. Don't equate standing in the heat to the potential liability of someone stopping short in front of you and you rear ending them (legally your fault but maybe not avoidable) and all the costs you could incur for whiplash etc from ALL parties involved. They are not the same.

It's a sad state of affairs when rude is considered to be listening to a radio station you like, in your car, on your way home from work.

PS The driver legally CAN'T listen to an iPod (and Good God the posts on here if someone did!)but all the riders can.

CJ
Pentagon1 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pentagon1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 8:48am
I turn it to WTOP when I pick up slugs because I'm pretty sure they don't want to listen to my political talk show or my hard metal music. To leave the radio on that would be rude (in my opinion).
greateditor View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greateditor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2010 at 3:53pm
I also think the initial comment was racist in nature. Why was it necessary to mention the rider's race? I'm quite sure that if the rider were of the caucasian persuasion, the driver would've just said "a man". The whole tone of the comment changed when the rider's race was inserted. That being said, I think the rider over-reacted to the "nth" degree! Calling the police and writing down the tag number was completely unnecessary and over the top. What would the police have done if they were at the scene? They would've given the rider a ticket for misusing the time of a police officer. His actions were completely stupid and unnecessary. As soon as he got in my car and attempted to order me to turn my radio down, I would have immediately told him to get out of my car and never pick him up again. Yes, riders and drivers should always be considerate of each other and abide by all the unwritten rules as much as possible. But if someone doesn't like listening to the radio, that's one of the reasons earphones were invented, especially really good, noise blocking ones. [8D]
CJ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2010 at 4:33pm
Well Pentagon I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on what constitutes rude behavior. All I can say is if you get into a blue jeep going to 234 from the pentagon be prepared for 80s music because I absolutely will not listen to the same poorly reported "news stories" over and over on WTOP.

CJ
RetiredMarine View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RetiredMarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 7:53am
Agree with CJ when I drive I listen to what I want in my car. It is not loud.
BIGNAT View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIGNAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2010 at 2:21pm
Lol. No matter how long I wait to come on here and read the stories, it's still see the same stuff. This is the second post I read today in which race is mentioned but race is really not an essential part of the story. I guess Omini is telling us to be on the look out for "a rude black man in a suite." Lol. That should narow it down for us. Lol.

Well, like I always say, your cars your rules. People play their music and yes sometimes it's too loud. Would I ask for it to be turned down...no. Do I play the raido loud, no. However, as we all know, some folks do. So you rather get into a confrontation with a rider or driver about what's on the radio or how loud it is rather than just bearing it and never getting in their car again? Ha! To each its own.

BigNat
Our Mom Spot View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Our Mom Spot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 2:49pm
quote:
Originally posted by Oosik
It's really simple mathematics and a reflection that accidents can happen. No driver is going to know if the slug they take is prone to file litigation if something bad happens -- I just choose not to rob slugs from other drivers and to increase my liability without good cause.

Well, said.

1) You could be taking slugs from someone else.

2) The more people in your car, the more your insurance pays out in the event of an accident. It's just math.

----------
Are you a mom?
Visit www.OurMomSpot.net ... a safe place for moms to have fun, LOL, & connect with other moms!
trapps View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trapps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 12:42pm
Omini,
I have a issue with you saying a rude Black man! You had what you percieved as a rude passenger peroid. No need for decriptions. Did he ask you to turn down your radioor or insisted you turn it down? I normally play a nice low jazz in order to not offend anyone in the car. Silence is a killer while you ride but everyone might not like to hear blasting music on the ride.

750LI
BurkeSlugin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurkeSlugin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 10:13pm
You have to be flexible to be a slug. If a slugger feels the need to control the radio station selection, the radio volume, the air conditioner temperature, etc., maybe that person is better suited to being a driver.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic