Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Rt.234 DUMFRIES- Organized Pick-up Lines- 14JUN10
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rt.234 DUMFRIES- Organized Pick-up Lines- 14JUN10

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhonda_Sluggin_1995 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rt.234 DUMFRIES- Organized Pick-up Lines- 14JUN10
    Posted: 12 Jun 2010 at 7:34am
Rt. 234- Dumfries NEEDS TO BE ORGANIZED--Taking too long for pick-up!

Hey Family...

Time to get organized now that the expansion is complete. Let's work together to save everyone time and frustration. Summer heat is coming fast. Not rocket science here...we can follow the model from the Horner Road commuter lot as follows:

Starting on Monday morning, 14 June 2010, please begin to form lines in the designated rows as you drive into the lot. Look for the colored signs.

Flow of traffic...may need some modifications later, but for now,
after slugs climb into the car, bear left to exit the commuter lot as you are currently doing from the Pentagon pick-up.

1st lane. Pentagon pick-up line (near bus stop) Remains unchanged.

2nd lane. ALL Washington DC riders pick-up line. (Note: You should still clarify/negotiate final destination point before entering car.)

3rd lane. Crystal City pick-up lane.

4th lane. Rosslyn pick-up lane.

Should be quick, orderly, and save us all a lot of time, confusion, and morning stress...wait until you get into the office for that.

A fellow DHS slugger and I (driver) plan to have temporary signs put up by Sunday night to get us started.

P.S. OK PEOPLE...Let's be safe and UNSELFISH. SLOW DOWN and BE PATIENT while exiting. It's a change and (some folks...no you of course) will be confused until the new "lot pick-up patterns" are understood and adopted.

Thanks,
Rhonda SJ
singhaimark View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote singhaimark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2010 at 9:10am
Not a bad idea but folks will have to pick it up quick as the signs will likely be promptly removed by the PWCPD.
fnk1481 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fnk1481 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2010 at 12:19pm
According to http://www.slug-lines.com/AM_Lines/dumfries_road.asp, the Dumfries Road Slug Line only goes to Pentagon, 14th & Constitution, 14th at Commerce Dept, 14th & New York, 14th & F Street, 18th Street (?), and L'Enfant Plaza. When did we add Crystal City and Rosslyn? Is the Map of Locations up-to-date?
[?]
ReluctantCommuter View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReluctantCommuter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2010 at 8:15pm
One of the more irritating things about living in this area is the relatively high percentage of control freaks who can't leave well enough alone and dream up some brilliant plan and believe it is somehow their moral duty to impose their ideas on everyone else.

What's the problem?! The current (pre-Monday) system works just fine! The appearance of these signs created a lot of confusion and a safety hazard this morning…the woman in front of me nearly got sideswiped by an impatient driver trying to get past the clogged lanes of traffic. Why is it necessary to disperse the slugs throughout the parking lot to satisfy some lunatic’s obsessions with control and order?

Whoever executed this moronic scheme should please return to the lot and pick up what's left of your rubbish signs and bamboo sticks and overturned pots of dirt, and then maybe go home and draft up some new grass-height specifications for your homeowners association or re-arrange your shoes or do whatever it is you need to do to still the voices or fill the void, and leave decent, honest, hard-working commuters alone!

Geeze!
fnk1481 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fnk1481 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2010 at 8:37am
ReluctantCommuter, I agree with you 100%. Traffic in the 234 lot has gotten worse since Monday. Thanks Rhonda_Sluggin_1995! If you are a member of your Homeowner's Association, I pray I don't live in your neighborhood.
[xx(]
nomi View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2010 at 3:47pm
ROFLMMFAO2POHAIPM! [:p]
billr View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2010 at 8:36am
Dear fnk1481, Crystal City has been a destination for at least 7 years, in my experience.

-----------------
According to http://www.slug-lines.com/AM_Lines/dumfries_road.asp, the Dumfries Road Slug Line only goes to Pentagon, 14th & Constitution, 14th at Commerce Dept, 14th & New York, 14th & F Street, 18th Street (?), and L'Enfant Plaza. When did we add Crystal City and Rosslyn? Is the Map of Locations up-to-date?
---------------------------
pikomanu View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pikomanu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2010 at 11:11am
I've been slugging out of the 234 lot since 2003 and I agree that the 234 lot slugging process is not broken, however there are ways that it could be improved in execution, especially now that it’s larger and has a bigger viability window (lot used to be pretty dead 10-15 minutes after all the parking spots were filled).

Forming two separate lines (one for Pentagon/Rosslyn/Crystal City and one for DC/14th St/L'Enfant Plaza), could alleviate some of the line problems that tend to occur from time to time. The challenge would be trying to get everyone to accept and agree to those changes, instead of trying to push some new organization via signs and poorly relayed word-of-mouth.

Most of the problems with the 234 lot actually stem from poor communication from both drivers and slugs. The most common things that tend to stall the process is:
1) Drivers who do not call out their location until they are at the front of the line. They just sit there staring blankly forward until they get to the front of the line. It speeds up the process immensely if slugs can load 2-3 cars at a time. Any more than that seems to cause confusion as to who is walking to which car, whose turn it is etc.
2) Backup of destination cars. This happens with both 14th St and Pentagon cars. For example the first 3 cars will be going to 14th St but everyone in the line is going to other destinations. Everyone just stands there, while additional cars (likely going to their destination) begin to pile up behind them. The solution to that would be for slugs further down the line to ascertain the destination of the deeper cars (if the line is long enough) and call them up. Or for pairs to break off and walk the line to the deeper cars to get the line moving again. Although this does happen from time to time I've seen this approach cause confusion as well. When there are a plethora of Pentagon cars, 14th St riders often peel off and form a “second line” further back in the lot to catch the cars coming around the corner. I've seen confusion and actually witnessed just today a lady yelling at another because they we not lined up at the usual spot for pickups (i.e. by the bus shelter). In this case having a separate line would alleviate that problem. The lot is small enough that you can see the next row over so if you’re a 14th St rider than will settle for a Pentagon ride, you could see from either queuing spot if there were any cars available in the other line.

While there are Rosslyn and Crystal City riders I'm not sure there are in large enough numbers (compared to Pentagon/14th St) that it would help to have separate lines just for those locations. But I would not be adverse to it. I slug to Rosslyn and it takes 30+ minutes off my commute to go straight to Rosslyn vice the Pentagon. If there's a Rosslyn car I jump in, but I won't stand around 10-15 minutes waiting for one, I’ll just take a Pentagon one.
nomi View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2010 at 1:27pm
fnk1481 is stupid nice.
slugger2DC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugger2DC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2010 at 4:01pm
This is a great idea to separate the lines however I feel as though the Pentagon line and the Washington, DC (14th St, L'Enfant, etc.) line should remain where it is. Many people have multiple locations they can go to and whatever the next car is that pulls up, they usually take it. For example, in order for me to get to my job, I can either go to the Pentagon metro, the L'Enfant metro or 14th & D Streets. Usually if I'm next in line, whatever car comes up, I jump in. To have the lines split makes people lose options and in turn you may have to wait in line longer.

I never go to Crystal City or Rossyln so I can not comment on whether or not their lines should be combined or separated. But I will say having the slug line at the entrance of the lot could back up others trying to get into the lot. People should stand at the other end of the row. That way, people can just hop in and the cars can drive out like normal.

Thanks for listening. [:)]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic