Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tacketts (New Lot) etiquette in AM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patricia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2002 at 1:08pm
I must say, the dialog shared on this message board can be amusing at times. It also seems to be and effective method of sharing information. I agree with croz61 in regards to signage at the Tackett's lot. It would definitely improve the efficiency of '2 lines'. As for me...I'm moving on to 'reek havoc' at the 610 commuter lot. Does anyone know if they have separate lines for the various destinations?? I'll miss all the Tackett's slugs and drivers. Especially you, Eric.

Patricia
Tackett's/Rosslyn lines
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2002 at 2:28pm
Patricia: yep! There are two lines at 610, one for "DC" and one for "Virginia" which is primarily Pentagon, Crystal City, and Rosslyn, along with Pentagon North Parking, Navy Annex, and, inexplicably, Navy Yard. I'm not sure about the destinations of the "DC" line as I have only had occassion to use it a couple of times (to go to L'Enfant Plaza).
Sheepish View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheepish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2002 at 2:42pm
I pick up at Tackett's most mornings and have been watching (while waiting my turn for Pentagon riders) the results of this "2-line system" for some time now. Aside from the issue of "cutting in line," what concerns me is the traffic congestion and the near fender-bender "close calls" I have witnessed. While those "scrapers" sit there and wait in their newly formed line, there is the constant ingress and egress of cars to that side parking area. Oh- and then let's consider the slugs that do walk down the "traditional" line having to cross this mess. Here again... I have witnessed a few "close calls."

There simply isn't enough room for this "2-line system" to continue safely.

It was much smoother months ago before this second line started....

croz61 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote croz61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2002 at 12:25pm

Sorry to hear you are leaving Patricia, but good luck at the "610" location.

I agree wholeheartedly with Sheepish on the amount of close calls we see each morning. Something should be done to alleviate the confusion and get the word out to everyone participating...the attempt to create two separate lines perpendicular to each other is hazardous. I, for one, will continue to use the single lane approach and beg other drivers to do the same. I would ask all slugs to avoid the secondary line as well.

We should be able to pass the word on to enough people to make the difference.

croz61 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote croz61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2002 at 8:42am
Is it possible for someone from VDOT to come out a put up signs designating where slugs should be waiting for rides and for which areas? (Much like Rosslyn's new signs)

If VDOT personnel were standing at the back center of the lot and facing the intersection on Minneville, use the following guideline to assist in placing the signs: Looking at the street lamps over the center lane, place the Rosslyn/Crystal City sign at Lamp Post 2 and place the Pentagon sign, one block up, approximately at Lamp Post 4.

I know signs are expensive, but by doing this, it will alleviate the problems associated with multiple lines forming for the same pick-up/drop-off points, it will alleviate the congestion at the center intersection in the parking lot, and it should allow for easier access to Pentagon personnel, since cars will be able to line up 4 or 5 car lengths before the Rosslyn line (as opposed to the 2 or 3 car lengths now).

Eric View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2002 at 1:40pm
The word I've repeatedly gotten is that VDOT will, under no circumstances, get involved in doing anything that smacks of sanctioning slugging. However... I've been told that VDOT was going to have a look at the situation as a safety issue, simply because of the hazard caused by the line-cutters. The implication that I got (though perhaps just my interpretation) is that if anything got done, it would be to try and enforce a SINGLE line (and so avoid the increased hazard due to increased traffic coming from the side lot due to the line-cutters).

Note that if VDOT were to provide signage that firmly established the second line, this would lead to the situation I've outlined before -- on average the time to get to Rosslyn or Crystal City will increase over that of the single line.

- Eric.

Patricia View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patricia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2002 at 2:17pm

single line...
double line...

Can't we all just get along???

Patricia
Stafford/610
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2002 at 3:20pm
I will ask VDOT (again) for assistance but each request up to this point has been "we don't get involved with slugging."

It is unfortunate that VDOT takes this approach because without the slugging commuters, the VDOT parking lots would be underutilized. They openly support traditional carpooling but take a hands-off approach to "instant carpooling" using potential liability issues as an excuse. I phase their answer as an excuse because it implies that it's the liability aspect of slugging that prevents them from supporting it. If that is the case, it suggests that VDOT must be assuming liability for traditional carpoolers because they openly support it. I question this because I have never heard of a case, nor expect to hear, of VDOT assuming liability for an injured carpooling passenger against a carpooling driver. So, if in truth they do not take financial responsibility for traditional carpoolers then what is preventing them from supporting slugging? The answer - nothing.

That's a long way of saying - I will ask VDOT but I do not expect any support.

thornc View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thornc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2002 at 3:31pm
Wanting to drop at Rosslyn in the morning I prefer to wait for 2 Rosslyn slugs rather then go to the Pentagon. For that reason I moved to the second line thinking(da)that I was getting out of the way of the Pentagon folks who were forced to either wait behind me or risk an accident by going around me. I thought(da again) that by having a second line Crystal City and Rosslyn slugs no longer needed to cruise the line looking for a ride. I do agree that it's starting to get dicey with cars pulling out of the second line into on-coming cars trying to pull into the parking lot. This could be solved if folks wanting to turn left would go to the end and turn where there is a natural break in the line. Commuting is tuff enough without accusing people of trying to cut and such. I'm not trying to cut in on anyone and those of you who block the second line, well that's just childish. Afterall folks, aren't we all just trying our best to get to work?

Eric View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2002 at 11:21pm
THORNC wrote:
quote:

Wanting to drop at Rosslyn in the morning I prefer to wait for 2 Rosslyn slugs rather then go to the Pentagon. For that reason I moved to the second line thinking(da)that I was getting out of the way of the Pentagon folks who were forced to either wait behind me or risk an accident by going around me. I thought(da again) that by having a second line Crystal City and Rosslyn slugs no longer needed to cruise the line looking for a ride. I do agree that it's starting to get dicey with cars pulling out of the second line into on-coming cars trying to pull into the parking lot. This could be solved if folks wanting to turn left would go to the end and turn where there is a natural break in the line. Commuting is tuff enough without accusing people of trying to cut and such. I'm not trying to cut in on anyone and those of you who block the second line, well that's just childish. Afterall folks, aren't we all just trying our best to get to work?

You may not think you're trying to cut in on anyone, but, in fact, you are. The Tacketts line has always been a single line and when you pick up Rosslyn riders along the side, chances are VERY good that you've just stolen a slug from someone who has been waiting in the correct line. In days gone by (i.e., until a few months ago), this was universally considered one of the worst breaches of slugging etiquette. As proof that the folks on the side are cutting, I offer up that when I continue down the correct line, I generally find a Rosslyn car within the next 5 or so. Anyone coming in from the side and taking slugs is therefore cutting in line.

Walking the line is the way that was worked out as being the quickest. I'm not going to recap the logic of why this is so, because that's already been discussed earlier in this thread. I have no idea why in just the last few months some folks have decided that the social consensus that's worked just fine for years needs to be broken. At some point, someone decided that their own time was more valuable than everyone else's and so just cut the line. Once a few started doing that, newcomers might see folks sitting there and innocently start using that spot, not knowing that there is a well established protocol that's being violated.

Oh, and if you think it's dicey for cars, try being on foot!! As for folks blocking those coming from the side... Wrong, yes, but consider this: most drivers are actually quite polite for the most part. Therefore, for every frustrated driver who's tired of the line-cutting and does this, there are probably 10 more drivers who're equally steamed but aren't publically demonstrating it.

BTW, I know that since the 110 ramp from the Pentagon has been closed, dropping one there and then going to Rosslyn has been harder, but for the last few months you've been able to continue straight past the Pentagon (making the dropoff in those pull off areas) and onto Washington Blvd. Not as good as the 110 ramp was, but only a minute or two longer than when you get off HOV at the Wash. Blvd. exit directly. Especially since you don't have to fight across two lanes of stopped traffic. So perhaps, thornc, you and the Rosslyn drivers like you might consider rejoining the REAL line -- there's no reason not to.

- Eric.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic