Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sleeping with slugs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurrytooth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sleeping with slugs
    Posted: 09 May 2003 at 8:47am
I know a lot of people like to sleep on the way to and back from work, but I really don't like to listen to people who snore. If you know that you snore I think it would be nice if you could stay awake on the ride home. I'd say the percentage of slugs that snore when they sleep has got to be around 90%. It's amazing. Is it bad slug etiquette to whack a slug on the back of the head when he/she is snoring?
Arbo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2003 at 10:49am
If you don't want to ride with people that sleep, then don't pick up slugs (just don't fall asleep as you sit in the I-95/395 parking lot). By the way, people also sleep (and snore) on the bus, the train (I VRE on Fridays to avoide the bottle-neck at the end of the HOV), and the Metro. No matter how you get to work, if you ride with others, there will be people sleeping (and snoring).

And, by the way, would you appreciate it if someone wacked you upside the head because you happened to fall asleep in the passenger seat? For the most part, slug ettiguete is based on treating others like you want to be treated.

hth
Hurrytooth View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurrytooth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2003 at 11:20am
"For the most part, slug ettiguete is based on treating others like you want to be treated"

OK, you've answered my question. If I fell asleep in the car and was bothering everyone with my snoring I would WANT someone to whack me in the head and wake me up. Heretofore I will adhere to the golden rule as you suggest.

MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2003 at 12:07pm
Other than being jealous that they are sleeping, I don't mind at all. I've only had a handful of people snore in my car, and so far, everyone has woken up before their drop off point.
tondalea View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tondalea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2003 at 2:39pm
I guess I would like to be told if I were snoring and annoying everyone else in the car (dont know about the whack on the head), but if I fall asleep it's not deep enough for me to snore. I think 90% is a bit of an exaggeration. I've experienced a few riders that snore, but more like 5%. How about the drivers that fall asleep while driver, do they deserve a whack too?? And trust me it has happened to me a few times.
aalso View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2003 at 4:23pm
Not everyone has a spouse to tell them that they snore and therefore, they won't necessarily be aware of it. That being said, I drive and ride and the couple times in years that someone was snoring did not bother me. I would much rather let the tired soul rest. Slugging is not for everyone. Neither is a fixed carpool. If you slug or take mass transit of any kind, you must raise your tolerance level. The choice is to find alternative transportation, such as driving by oneself. It's easy - no tolerance - no "group transportation." It's an indiviual decision. P.S. If you whack someone, be prepared to get whacked back - and justifiably so.
gg View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2003 at 8:15am
I also agree with aalso's statement that "If you slug or take mass transit of any kind, you must raise your tolerance level." If snoring drives you crazy [:0] kindly wake the person up [|)] and make them aware of their snoring [8)] Otherwise, tolerate snoring and the other quirky things people do or don't participate [:D]

Rude, manipulative, and cheating people are the exceptions, they must be pointed out by everyone and put to shame.

gg
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2003 at 8:49am
I don't mind - go ahead and slap me upside my head if I'm snoring - it won't bother me a bit. Remember though that you are setting the bar for standards of behavior in your car and therefore you are giving me the right to slap you if there is something I don't like about you[}:)] Maybe you should tap the brakes to wake me up - at least then I wouldn't be able to retaliate[:D]

Mike
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2003 at 2:41pm
Maybe I'm weird, but I think it's kind of a comical experience when someone snores. As a most-of-the-time driver, I don't see the really obnoxious snoring too often, but when I do, I just look at the other person and chuckle. I had this one guy that had all these variations to his snoring and made some pretty funny noises to go along with it. I couldn't help it, after a while I just busted out laughing!![:D] The guy kinda woke up and looked at me laughing hysterically, whereupon I apologized for laughing at his expense and told him what I was laughing at. The passenger in the back was having a hard time maintaining composure as well. The snoring guy actually chuckled a little and said that his wife says the same thing. Sometimes people will actually disclaim themselves and apologize in advance for any subsequent snoring. I find that funny, too. But like I said, maybe I'm weird.[:o)]
Arbo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2003 at 10:52am
I'd rather have someone laugh at me rather than get "whacked on back of the head" for snoring... I apologize in advance for any snoring I may do.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic