Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

14th Street Slugs! Need Your Help!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 14th Street Slugs! Need Your Help!
    Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 6:24am
14th Street Slugs, I need your help! I am meeting with the DC Department of Transportation on Tuesday, August 17th from 11am - 1pm, near 2000 14th Street NW. I would like a couple of volunteers to attend the meeting with me who slug from 14th street.

The intent of the meeting is to discuss how to improve slugging along 14th street. As you remember a month or so ago, police were issueing warnings/citations to drivers who stopped to pick up slugs along 14th street. DC Transportation would like to help but they do not want to negatively impact slugs either.

If you are willing to participate, please email me today or over the weekend (need to know by Monday at the latest). Send emails to: webmaster@slug-lines.com

Thanks!

getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 9:02am
How did it go Admin? I would have gladly volunteered to join you, but saw the posting too late.
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2010 at 10:50am
The District Department of Transportation (DDOT) is working with Slugs to fix the congestion problems along 14th Street. Basically, they are looking into alternative locations next to 14th Street that will allow drivers to pull over more easily and not stop traffic along the busy 14th street. The initial pilot change they are testing. No other changes will be made until they see if this works.

THE CURRENT SLUG LOCATION AT 14TH ST BETWEEN H ST AND NEW YORK AVE WILL MOVE TO 15TH ST BETWEEN H ST AND NEW YORK AVE ON Wednesday, October 6th, 2010. Passengers can be picked up between 3:30pm and 6:00pm at the new location. DDOT personnel will be on site on October 6th to provide assistance. If you have any questions please contact the District Department of Transportation at (202) 671-0682 or visit www.slug-lines.com for more information.

Here is the flyer: http://www.slug-lines.com/newsletter/14thstreetchange.pdf

They have even created an interactive map to get ideas!! Here is the link to the interactive map from the Washington Post Link. In addition, they have posted a survey to determine how best to address the slugging issue along 14th Street. Click Here or use the URL below to take the survey: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Ridesharing

If you have comments or suggestions, please post comments on the message board.
speigly View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speigly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 10:26am
I think that the suggested slug line location is one that was made without some thought. To say that 15th Street is not as congested as 14th Street is absolutely absurb! Making 15th Street a new location for picking up riders really makes it a hard for those of us who are able to get a ride. That leaves the people not lucky to get a ride, to make it over to 14th Street to catch a bus.

For people who are picking up riders, it is almost a guarantee that they will get riders where people are waiting for either a slug ride or catching the bus.

I just don't think that much thought was given to this location choice.

Brown
sanners2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanners2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 12:40pm
I slug from 14th near Penn. I think the congestion is caused by idling OmniRide buses and not by cars waiting for riders. Recently, PRTC has changed the bus schedules adding time to improve on-time performance. This requires the buses arriving early to a stop to wait until the scheduled departure time. The cars are lining up behind the buses and the riders don't know if the cars are waiting for riders are waiting for an opportunity to change lanes. I'd suggest either changing the bus schedules to remove the idle time or asking that the buses idle further up the block and not at the bus stop.
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 1:10pm
Actually, a lot of thought was put into this but the choices are limited. They are starting to enforce the "no stopping" on 14th Street to include the Omniride buses. For a very long time, DDOT just has not enforced this but things have gotten so bad, that they are starting to address the situation.

Although 15th might not be the best, the idea was to NOT move it very far from where is was in the first place. It just didn't seem like a good idea to move it say 6-7 blocks from it original location because for those already walking the the slug line, it could make the walk even worse. Plus, we wanted to make it easy for drivers to get right back on 14th street.

Remember, this is only a "trial". The DDOT is really trying to move forward, but in a way that improves things.

I would encourage anyone to provide options or solutions. DDOT is going to have another meeting in October to discuss the way ahead.
sallie.worth View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sallie.worth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 1:49pm
I just sent this to the webmaster at slug-lines.com as I am not sure if it will get posted ... If anyone has more info please post. Thank you.

Has there been any effort to discuss with DDT this trial elimination of the 14 St/New York slug lines?

Has anyone discussed with them about shelter at 14th and New York and NONE at 15th?

That sluggers will not have the option to take the bus like many do if no one is there to pick up slugs?

What about inclement weather and buses do not come into the city?

PRTC currently does not have enough Lake Ridge buses as I believe they have been reduced to support the Tyson’s Corner runs.
The problem lies with intersections and cross traffic along with illegal left turns on to 14 St. Metro buses as well as all commuter buses blocking 2 lanes by not pulling up to the lane where customers can enter the bus. You have delivery trucks that block 14th street as well as cars with no one inside. There are multiple reasons but the traffic directors when in place alleviate most the congestion.

When they had traffic directors at all major intersections especially New York, Pennsylvania and Constitution traffic flowed much better for ALL.

The numbers posted on your site to reach DDT go to voice mail message boxes and there is no “live” person to talk to. It is very frustrating and I would like to know who from Virginia did not fight for our rights or who can fight for our rights. This will cause more cars into the city and cost more money to the commuters trying to reach their homes as early as possible.

Again, please let me know who to contact to raise issues. Also, once determined then please post that information on the site so others can raise their complaints as well.

Namaw
Jody View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 4:22pm
There are 7 slug lines on 14th Street. Is it possible for the PW County riders to combine some of the lines? For example, at 14th & 19th Sts, Bob's/Rolling Valley combine their lines.

We have 3 commuter lots in Springfield and a neighborhood where commuters park, but only one drop off point (Bob's).

I'm not familiar with the commuter lots further south but combining the lines may be one solution PW County riders and drivers could explore. The DCDOT survey proposes moving lines from 14th to either 12th, 13th or 15th Sts.
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 4:31pm
I will try to answer each question below:

Has there been any effort to discuss with DDT this trial elimination of the 14 St/New York slug lines? Yes, in fact I ask for 14th St. slugs to attend the meeting and/or provide suggestions. I did get a few suggestions (see thread). DDOT also conducted a "media campaign" through the newspaper and radio. They created a survey to gather information and had an interative map to get input from slugs/drivers. They really tried to get input.

Has anyone discussed with them about shelter at 14th and New York and NONE at 15th? Yes, shelters were discussed but it was premature to talk about it too much. The first task was to see if a new location would solve the problem. If so, then a shelter could be discussed. From my experience, many slugs opt not to use the bus shelters, even when they are made available. The Pentagon is a good example.

That sluggers will not have the option to take the bus like many do if no one is there to pick up slugs? DDOT stated that the "no stopping" would apply to OmniRide buses too. So, even if the slug line did not move, the bus would not be allowed to stop anyway. The bus stops along H Steet are impacted, so slugs will have to walk to the 15th and H designated stop.

What about inclement weather and buses do not come into the city? This applies to any slug line (even the current location) whether it is on 14th and NY or 15th and H.

PRTC currently does not have enough Lake Ridge buses as I believe they have been reduced to support the Tyson’s Corner runs.
The problem lies with intersections and cross traffic along with illegal left turns on to 14 St. Metro buses as well as all commuter buses blocking 2 lanes by not pulling up to the lane where customers can enter the bus. You have delivery trucks that block 14th street as well as cars with no one inside. There are multiple reasons but the traffic directors when in place alleviate most the congestion. Yes, this is not just a slug only problem. DDOT is enforcing the rule as it should have been applied for a long time. I recall during the meeting the they recognized that delivery trucks, buses, tour buses, etc. were all part of the congestion problem.

When they had traffic directors at all major intersections especially New York, Pennsylvania and Constitution traffic flowed much better for ALL. Good idea. This was not discussed but maybe this could be part of the solution too! I will let them know of your suggestion!

The numbers posted on your site to reach DDT go to voice mail message boxes and there is no “live” person to talk to. It is very frustrating and I would like to know who from Virginia did not fight for our rights or who can fight for our rights. This will cause more cars into the city and cost more money to the commuters trying to reach their homes as early as possible. Interesting...I will foward this comment to them as well.

Again, please let me know who to contact to raise issues. Also, once determined then please post that information on the site so others can raise their complaints as well.

I hope this helps. I have tried to assist as much as possible but I can only do/volunteer so much.

Woodbridge55 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woodbridge55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 9:01am
How did DDOT determine that 15th and New York was a better location? If you go to the new location, you will see signs posted reading that stopping and standing is PROHIBITED. Additionally there are only two lanes vs. three on 14th street. Second most of the streets leading to that stop are one-way. The wrong way for those driving over to pick up slugs. Also15th street is one-way above H street towards I street. Both H and I streets are one-way. This means one may have to drive down I street to Vermont back on H street and right on 15th street. Additionally, the only stopping on 15th street is for handicap individuals in front of the Secret Service check point at the light. What did the USSS say about sluggers standing by the entry point with bags and briefcases? Sound like more traffic and waste of gas to me. If you go to New York and 14th street the only sign for the current pick up point reads no parking; therefore one could legally stop and pick up slugs. If they are looking for another location maybe New York and 13th street would be better if that location is not posted for no stopping too.

RJ
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic