Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DC "cops" at it again!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 3:41pm
quote:
Originally posted by mycroftt

quote:

Driver CON:
Pays for fuel, vehicle maintenance, insurance premiums, etc.
Has to put up with people bitching about how clean your car is or why you didn't get a 4 door...

Seems to me that the financial burden falls on the driver.

I don't agree that there is more than a nominal financial burden to the driver in picking up slugs, if there is indeed any burden at all. I pay for fuel, vehicle maintenance, insurance, etc. whether I pick up slugs or not. Wear and tear for carrying two passengers 40 miles is negligible, as is the additional fuel cost over and above what I would be paying anyway. I'm not sure that those negligible costs are not fully offset by being relieved of the costs of sitting in stop and go traffic for those 40 miles, either.

It's negligible to carry the passengers and cargo the few miles, and probably less costly than sitting in stop and go, true...

But it completely absolves other people (the slugs) of their commuting expense.

Riding on someone else's dime... Isn't that a definition of freeloader?

-------------------------
Times to beat:
Horner Rd to/from Pentagon: 12 mins Without Slugs - 17 mins With slugs
Dale City exit to/from 3rd St Tunnel, D.C. 18 mins (No slugs - Holiday)
snlfam View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snlfam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2010 at 3:03pm
I see the whole slug system as 3 levels of convenience vs priorities. If it is a higher priority to commute in a reasonable amount of time then it is to have the convenience of driving by yourself and not having to deal with other people, then you drive in the main lines. If it is a higher priority to commute in a reasonable amount of time, but you still want the convenience of having more control over your situation, you become a slug (or carpool) driver. If it is a higher priority to reduce the monetary costs of commuting than it is to have the convenience of any semblance of control, then you volunteer your services as an extra body[;)] for slug drivers.

I suppose there is the other option... if you are concerned with having a more reliable than riding but more economical than driving commute, than you take the bus. By the way... is the buss actually cheaper than driving your own car? I would assume so after parking fees... but if you had free parking?
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2010 at 5:15pm
quote:
Originally posted by snlfam

By the way... is the buss actually cheaper than driving your own car? I would assume so after parking fees... but if you had free parking?

PRTC OmniLink bus is $5.75 (With SmarTrip Card) ONE WAY.

Horner Rd to Pentagon is approximately 25 miles. (According to GoogleMaps)

You'll have to do your own math regarding insurance rates, fuel economy, and vehicle maintenance.

Times to beat:
siggy14 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siggy14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2010 at 8:59am
Two issues with your statement, first of all and most important, can you imagine the backup there would be in the HOV if you had all slug lines ending at the pentagon? As it is once school starts you start seeing a little backup already, but if you take all those cars and trucks going into roslynn or DC and have them exit at the pentagon, well lets just say there is going to be a huge backup.

Second, people on here assume everyone gets metro assistance, but I can tell you working 12 years in the city at two major companies that not everyone does, I would almost say only 25 to 40% of DC workers get some kind of parking/transit help from their emplorer.

Now lets do the math.
18 miles to and from slug lot = $2.60 (1 Gallon of gas for me)
Metro to Foggy bottem $2.40
Metro to Pentagon $2.40
Total $7.40 not including wear and tear on my car and insurance.

Taking the bus in which pickups basically right in front of my house will cost 5.75 each way, so it would be $4.10 more a day to go that way.

So lets talk positives and negatives for me.
Slugging
POS= I save $4.10 a day
Neg= Rude drivers, waiting in rain, heat, snow for a ride. Having to walk from 18th street to 23rd everday.

Bus
POS= Same ride everyday, consistant, basically door to door drop off.
Neg= $4.10 more a day.

quote:
Originally posted by Pele

quote:
Originally posted by scottt

quote:
Originally posted by Pele

Easy solution:

Just have all the slug lines end at the Pentagon.

And you'll be reimbursing me for the peak of the peak metro fare from the Pentagon into DC?

Negative.

Think about this logically:

1.) D.C. is unfriendly to the slugging system. (No legal drop off/pick up location)
2.) HOV Ends at the Pentagon. (Express lanes between Pentagon and D.C. allow single occupancy.)
3.) Some people will still need their vehicles in the city.
4.) There is no negotiation as to what block you're dropped off at. (Pentagon has signs for drop off/pick up locations. I've seen people complain that they're dropped off at the wrong locations when slugging into D.C.)

If the D.C. government is not willing to cooperate with the slugging system, then it stands within good reason that people will stop picking up/dropping off slugs in the District.

My wife did so because she didn't know where people wanted to be dropped off at if they asked for the Dept. of Agriculture or Dept. of Education building was.

Terminating at the Pentagon seems to be the easiest way to do things.

Still beats having to pay $5.25 to the PRTC bus on top of the Metro fare... Or finding/paying for parking down town.

If you wanna discuss Metro fares though, that's for another thread. As stated by CJ, most people on here don't pay their own Metro fare.

Times to beat:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic