Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DC "cops" at it again!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgpumpkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DC "cops" at it again!
    Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 9:20am
Wanted to let sluggers & drivers know that DC is at it again. Last night, while making our usual commute home, which includes picking up slugs on 14th Street, in front of the Reagan Building, we recieved a $100 ticket! While coming down 14th Street, we could see the traffic control "cops" issuing tickets (not DC Metro police, but the traffic cop wanna be). Since we were behind a bus, we were stuck in the outside lane. As we approached the slug line, one of the two "cops" motioned us on. We got caught by the redlight and I asked the 2nd "cop" when this no longer became a slug pickup. He wouldn't answer my question and demanded I move on. Again, sitting at the redlight (with another SUV sitting in front of me), I asked about the slug pickup. He stated that if I didn't move, he'd write me a ticket. Since I couldn't move, I informed him that the light was red. He went behind the car and wrote the $100 ticket. When I asked why, he said I was stopped in a bus zone (at this point, was pass the bus zone & sitting at the redlight). He would not even hand me my ticket but rather put it under my windshield wiper. At that point, I got out of the car to retrieve the ticket & he threatned another ticket. When the light changed, I did pull out, but I must say, his unprofessionalism of not telling why I was originally getting a ticket and for not answering my question about the slug line was completely unnecessary. DC needs the VA commuters - we pay their high taxes on everything we buy, be it food, shopping or enjoying a show after work. You'd think they would appreciate the commuters but instead, over the last month, they are punishing the VA commuters for coming into their city. I guess if they can not figure out a way to tax us for working here, they'll just get money other ways.
Spectrepilot View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spectrepilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 10:22am
If things occured as you describe, I would take this to court.
bgpumpkin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgpumpkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 9:28am
As an update, I did fight this in court yesterday, and as suspected, DC ruled in favor of the "cop". The ruling was "The District of Columbia has designate certain streets and primary roads as rush hour zones to facilitate the flow of traffic into and out of the city during prime commuter hours. All arteries are to e cleared of parked and standing vehicles during these hours. The posted rush hour signs are controling on these roadways and meter parking and other parking privileges are temporarily suspended. Vehicles parked or standing in a rush hour zone are subject to citation, to removal or relocation and/or to impoundment." They found me liable but reduced the fine $50.
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 12:14pm
You were able to go to court the day after you got a ticket????
CJ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 4:50pm
I'm sure all the folks who slug from 14th street will chip in and pay your ticket, since we have all heard how equal the system is.[:o)]

CJ
bgpumpkin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgpumpkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 10:14am
I was able to go to court the next day. I luckily work close to the DMV facility and was able to walk over the next day - was actually going in to complain about the ticket. Instead, I was able to make my case in the Adjudication Services and as I mentioned yesterday, the ticket was reduced only. I've paid my ticket, but must say, still feel this is such an injustice to a system that works for both commuters & DC - just a shame DC can't see that!
joys68 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joys68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2010 at 8:56am
This exact ticket experience happended to me yesterday, I was at a different location (14th and Independance). I had no bus in front of me and had barely pulled over to ask the location when a DC Cop approached my window and rudely told me to stay where I was. 2 people proceeded to get into my vehicle while the officer came back to my window to hand me a ticket. When I questioned as to why I was being tickected he didn't speak but rather turn around and walk away. The ticket was for $100 and the violation was "P007-Park within 20 feet of a bus stand or zone" - "Blocking bus traffic metro bus zone." I had heard about this sort of thing happening recently in DC but couldn't believe that it was actaully happening to me. It appeared that he had been hard it as there was another car ahead of me gettting the same ticket.

I clearly was not within "20 feet" and will fight it all the way. It is a crying shame that something so beneficial as slugging has to be "picked on" to help DC make their revenue. Outright Haters is what I am thinking. Believe it or not this was my first week of picking up slugs, I have been working up the courage over the last 3 1/2 years to start this process and this is what I have to deal with???
CallmeMrSlug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CallmeMrSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2010 at 1:17pm
Bottom line, tell ALL your co-workers who live in DC about the incident and urge them to VOTE OUT FENTY. He controls the cops and apparently he is either unwilling or unable to change this unjust practice.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2010 at 6:14pm
Has anyone heard anything about results from the meeting Admin set up with the DC Department of Transportation reps a few weeks back[?]

He announced the meeting at a "Sticky" at http://slug-lines.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11316 on this website and invited 14th Street slugs and drivers to attend.
fed up View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 12:15pm
I got the same exact ticket on Friday, August 27. I stopped at 14th & Independence near the fire hydrant for 30 seconds while two riders hopped in. I then pulled out into traffic and was immediately motioned to pull over by the traffic cop. He, too, was very rude and would not give me the time of day except to hand me the ticket. This officer was sitting in the right thru lane blocking the flow of traffic more so than those of us who stopped to pick up riders. Buses that stopped to pick up their riders (PRTC or Metro) had to literally make a left turn to get around this police officer and the cars he was ticketing. His name is Officer Dohare. I spoke with Congressman Connelly's office this morning and also filed a complaint with the DC Police about this officer's behavior and the predatory behavior of the police at this location. I could understand if I had been sitting at that location waiting for riders, but this was not the case. Unfortunately, it appears that even if I were to protest this ticket, it would only be reduced -- not dismissed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic