Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Dangerous Crossing For Slugs at Springfield Plaza
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dangerous Crossing For Slugs at Springfield Plaza

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dangerous Crossing For Slugs at Springfield Plaza
    Posted: 20 May 2003 at 6:04am
For those who use slug from Bob's, please read the following email I received and then Fairfax County's response. Either way, please be carefull!

Email I received:
"My mom, who is a very conscientious driver, almost hit a pedestrian the other day who was jaywalking across Old Keene Mill Road at rush hour. She commutes westbound on Old Keene Mill toward West Springfield during her afternoon commute and has noted an increased frequency of commuters dashing across Old Keene Mill Road's 6-8 lanes of traffic over the last few months.

After some research I think that discovered the culprit-- it appears that sluggers and possibly bus riders are dropped off at the long John Silver's or behind the bank or church and dash across to the K-Mart commuter parking lot. Instead of locating a safer place to cross (ie. walking to Veterans Bridge to cross OKM Rd.) or waiting for the light, they dash across at any opportune moment to get to the commuter lot located at the K-Mart across the street. This is a disaster waiting to happen for both commuters and drivers alike.

My mom, who is an RN herself, remembers all too well the day when she witnessed an pedestrian vs. car accident on the backside of the K-mart about 10 years ago. A woman was jaywalking and a driver didn't see her and hit her. The pedestrian had massive head injuries and my mom was the first medical professional on the scene. A police officer arrived shortly thereafter and ordered a helicopter to transport the victim, who later died of her injuries. The driver, who was also a nurse, was devastated even though it wasn't her fault.

I have a few questions:

1) Is there a cross walk at the light at Old Keene Mill Road for pedestrians to cross to the K-Mart/Giant shopping center?
2) If so, does the electronic crossing sign allow adequate enough time for pedestrians to cross the full 6-8 lanes of traffic?
3) Are there signs to indicate to drivers to be aware of pedestrians?
4) If these elements are in place and are adequate, can we get a police officer to monitor pedestrians periodically and issue jaywalking tickets for those who cross illegally. While this is a pain (and probably not very popular) it could potentially prevent a serious accident for both drivers and pedestrians alike."

Fairfax County's Response:
"We have been aware of this problem as long as the Springfield Plaza has provided
commuter parking. After the road improvements to Old Keene Mill Road were
completed, it became a higher-pedestrian risk due to the addition of two lanes
and a median. Joan, your request to VDOT for signs in the right-of-way has great
merit!

Two alternatives exist for the pedestrian at risk:
1. Crossing Old Keene Mill at Spring Street which has a light cycle that
will facilitate crossing within a reasonable time period.
2. Crossing Old Keene Mill via the skywalk which permits pedestrian
mobility and even greater safety.

At this point, the "human nature" factor becomes significant for commuters
seeking rides in HOV vehicles: Commuters make a mad dash across six
lanes of highway rather than utilizing the options above to save time.
Also in the past there have been discussions regarding the relocation of the slug line
to Springfield Plaza which was rejected because it is on the wrong side of Old Keene Mill
in the a.m. for instant pickup to access the headend of the HOV lanes on I-95.

Since I arrived here at DOT in 1982, the County's policy has been that the Slug Lines
are independent of the governing body and operate effectively without being controlled
by the County; hence, collectively make their own decisions relative to their situation,
offer suggestions to the County when needed, request governmental support, such as
a police presence to assure safety, maintain their own culture and thus
remain the phenomenon that is recognized throughout the U.S.!"
Arbo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2003 at 10:54am
[:)]
To Quote from above "Slug Lines are independent of the governing body and operate effectively without being controlled by the County"! Let's keep it that way!![:D]

Unfortunately, to save time, many people think only of the short term (dash across the street to save 60 seconds) and forget about the long term consequences (getting hit by a car). If people start getting hit, I can forsee the County getting involved (due to public preassure) to control the situation.

Let's be safe out there and "Arive Alive"[:)]
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2003 at 12:56pm
Old Keene Mill is a dangerous road to cross. However, it can be done safely if the pedestrian takes their time and doesn't dart out in front of traffic. I cross it in the AM when there's little traffic, but many do it morning and night, and they are not careful. I'll stand in the median until the road is clear but others will run past me in their haste to get to the slug line. Many folks have commented that it's only a matter of time before someone is struck by a car.

Yesterday morning, 5/19, at ca 6:20AM a slug was hit by a car. She was probably only a few feet from the Circuit City parking lot when she was clipped. She happened to be the only one crossing the street, and the car was the only one in the 4 eastbound lanes. Apparently, neither pedestrian nor driver saw the other. Both parties had visible injuries. Car had a dent and broken glass, you can imagine the pedestrian.

The point is - Pay attention and stop racing to your destination (both pedestrians and drivers). Better to arrive later and safe than not at all.
KLQ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KLQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2003 at 10:21am
Thanks so much to Mr. LeBlanc for posting my initial concerns. Just Monday afternoon, I witnessed a gentleman talking on his cell phone, rolling a briefcase and crossing OKM Road!

I am having the Franconia Police verify the accident that the previous poster mentioned on 5/19 at 6:20am. If this is the case, then certainly our worst fears have been realized. In order to avoid future tragedies like this and potentially worse ones, you can expect to see some sort of County intervention to regulate the laws that govern both pedestrians and drivers alike at this intersection.

I URGE you to PLEASE walk the additional 20-30 feet to the cross walk for your own safety and that of the drivers.
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2003 at 3:57pm
Unfortunately pedestrians all over the DC area seem to think that they can walk wherever they want, whenever they want with absolute impunity. I am getting absolutely fed up with the idiots downtown. Two most common situations: (1) a car is waiting at a red light, the light on the other street for pedestrians has said "Don't Walk" for a long time, the light for the cars is yellow, and some pedestrian saunters slowly out in front of the waiting car, which now has a green light. (2) A car is waiting at a green light to turn right, the pedestrian sign turns to "Don't Walk," but some pedestrian thinks it's OK to walk out anyway. How are you supposed to get anywhere with these morons who think they can walk out in front of oncoming cars whenever they want to?

And people wonder why people are getting angrier on the roads?
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2003 at 8:57am
I am with you completely! My favorite place, hands down, has got to be the cross walk on 23rd St. in Crystal City. For those who don't know, this is a popular crossing point from office spaces to food destinations (breakfast, lunch). It's almost as if people think that this cross walk is magical and has a force field protecting it, because people just bound off the curb into the street without EVER LOOKING!!! You could be driving almost on top of them and they'll step out anyway, making you have to slam, and I mean SLAM, on the brakes. Your tires could already be on the cross walk, and someone who just arrived at the curb will yell at you for not stopping to let them cross, like I have the powers of prophecy to know what their next move is going to be and that I should wait all day for them to mosey across the street!! What an unreal little piece of asphalt...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic