Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stafford to DC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ash627 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stafford to DC
    Posted: 17 Sep 2010 at 3:27am
Hello All,
I'm very new to slugging (haven't taken my first ride yet), however, am beginning to wonder if it would be a good idea for me.

I live in Stafford, and am currently applying for jobs in DC. I may have gotten one, recently, however, my issue is not owning a vehicle.

How reliable would you experienced slugs say it is to rely on this system?
I'm also considering the VRE, but it's very expensive, and since this job is supposed to help me save for college in less than a year, I'm trying to spend as little as possible.

One more question, do many drivers pick up slugs on the weekends? I haven't been able to find any transportation system that would get me to DC outside of M-F schedules. Perhaps, I haven't looked hard enough, though.

I just moved here from NE, so am VERY clueless, any and all info would be a huge help.

Thanks so much! [:)]
Elemental View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elemental Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2010 at 8:20am
Welcome! To answer your final question, slugging is only M-F at the peak rush hour times am & pm to coincide with the times the HOV restrictions are in place. It is great if you have a standard M-F workday, but will not help you much if you are working weekends, nights, or other schedules. I don't believe the VRE runs on weekends either.

AngloAustrian View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngloAustrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2010 at 11:40am
Hey there. Congrats on your job. As Elemental has said, you can only slug M-F etc. If you have a job that coincides with those times and the HOV, slugging, in my experience, is quite reliable. I have been doing this for a year now, and although I have had to wait a few times for quite a bit (rarely), I travel from 610 to Crystal City and usually have to wait about 15 minutes each way. The only way to really find out is to give it a try and ask questions of the people in line!

Re weekends, you may be able to find someone who works and drives in. Try Craiglist (they have a ride share section), or just try posting for a weekend ride here. You never know.

Good luck.

ash627 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ash627 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2010 at 4:25pm
Thanks for the help!

I suppose you're both probably correct, and jumping in would be the best way to find out.

I did take Anglo's advice, and posted an ad on Rideshare (I use craigslist all the time, and somehow over-looked this option!), so am currently hoping my luck wins out.

Thanks again! I'm feeling much more confident about this now. [:)]
NO44 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NO44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 4:26pm
Ash,

On the weekends, if you can get to Springfield metro, you could metro in.

quote:
Originally posted by ash627

Thanks for the help!

I suppose you're both probably correct, and jumping in would be the best way to find out.

I did take Anglo's advice, and posted an ad on Rideshare (I use craigslist all the time, and somehow over-looked this option!), so am currently hoping my luck wins out.

Thanks again! I'm feeling much more confident about this now. [:)]

Nic
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic