Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Afternoon Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

14th Street Locations -- Spread the Word

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 14th Street Locations -- Spread the Word
    Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 9:54am
In case you didn't see this from Admin in the "General Slugging Topics" section:

POSTED BY: Admin
Posted - 02 Oct 2010 : 10:50:12
The District Department of Transportation (DDOT) is working with Slugs to fix the congestion problems along 14th Street. Basically, they are looking into alternative locations next to 14th Street that will allow drivers to pull over more easily and not stop traffic along the busy 14th street. The initial pilot change they are testing. No other changes will be made until they see if this works.

THE CURRENT SLUG LOCATION AT 14TH ST BETWEEN H ST AND NEW YORK AVE WILL MOVE TO 15TH ST BETWEEN H ST AND NEW YORK AVE ON Wednesday, October 6th, 2010. Passengers can be picked up between 3:30pm and 6:00pm at the new location. DDOT personnel will be on site on October 6th to provide assistance. If you have any questions please contact the District Department of Transportation at (202) 671-0682 or visit www.slug-lines.com for more information.

Here is the flyer: http://www.slug-lines.com/newsletter/14thstreetchange.pdf

They have even created an interactive map to get ideas!! Here is the link to the interactive map from the Washington Post Link. In addition, they have posted a survey to determine how best to address the slugging issue along 14th Street. Click Here or use the URL below to take the survey: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Ridesharing

If you have comments or suggestions, please post comments on the message board.
keelhauld View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keelhauld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 11:49pm
quote:
Originally posted by sluDgE

In case you didn't see this from Admin in the "General Slugging Topics" section:

The District Department of Transportation (DDOT) is working with Slugs to fix the congestion problems along 14th Street. Basically, they are looking into alternative locations next to 14th Street that will allow drivers to pull over more easily and not stop traffic along the busy 14th street. The initial pilot change they are testing. No other changes will be made until they see if this works.

THE CURRENT SLUG LOCATION AT 14TH ST BETWEEN H ST AND NEW YORK AVE WILL MOVE TO 15TH ST BETWEEN H ST AND NEW YORK AVE ON Wednesday, October 6th, 2010. Passengers can be picked up between 3:30pm and 6:00pm at the new location. DDOT personnel will be on site on October 6th to provide assistance. If you have any questions please contact the District Department of Transportation at (202) 671-0682 or visit www.slug-lines.com for more information.

They have even created an interactive map to get ideas!! Here is the link to the interactive map from the Washington Post Link. In addition, they have posted a survey to determine how best to address the slugging issue along 14th Street. Click Here or use the URL below to take the survey: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Ridesharing

For DDOT:

Slugging is a ridesharing program that has served the commuting public and the District well and any inconvenience to Metro and its over aggressive bus drivers is countered by the good this ad hoc ridesharing program has done for the public at large. If DDOT wants to do some good, push single occupant traffic to the lesser traveled streets you are attempting to push slugs to. That will eliminate 14th street congestion and encourage ridesharing and or the use of mass transit. Stop ticketing ridesharing vehicles attempting to pick up riders and stop trying to screw up one of the most efficient ridesharing programs in the world.
keelhauld View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keelhauld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 12:07am
quote:

I don’t know if this is the case for every slug but part of the attraction of slugging for me is the fact that it provides me another commuting option. I’m not sure if slug lines exist that are not collocated with bus / mass transit stops but for me if a slug line is not collocated with a mass transit option I don’t use it. Quite frankly I thought that was the point. In large part 15th has no mass transit options except for the McPherson Sq. Metro station. Moving the slug lines to 15th would also require moving the commuter bus stops to 15th as well which might not be a bad idea but it does not seem to be what they are doing here. I’m not in favor of moving unless the commuter bus stops move as well. My prediction is that DDOT will “provide assistance” for a few days and then start ticketing drivers. We will be lucky if they don’t kill the whole program. Sorry I guess my glass is half empty on this one. I just have no faith in DDOT.
Jody View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 11:36am
I don't think moving the H & NY line one block over is a big inconvenience.

When the Bob's line first started 30+ years ago, there wasn't a bus stop where the line met. When the HOV restrictions were lifted at 6 pm and we didn't think we were going to get a ride, riders walked to the Farragut West Metro, caught a train to the Pentagon to take the bus to Springfield.

Elizabeth View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elizabeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 12:49pm
Does anyone know in which direction - which side of the street - the new 15th street slug line location will be on?
NO44 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NO44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 4:39pm
Does anyone know if you can turn left onto 15th from I street? Or do I need to pick up slugs at a different location??

quote:

Nic
WoodbridgeVa1 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WoodbridgeVa1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 6:25pm
Trying to move the slug lines away from the bus lines is a recipe for disaster. Whoever came up with this idea either does not understand how slugging works at the 14th street site or is deliberately trying to destroy slugging at that location. We need to oppose this quickly, vocally and often. I am contacting my elected officials tonight with a simple message -- move both bus route and slug line or move neither. Actually, if they move the bus line (which they should) the slug line will move of its own accord.

WoodbridgeVa1
keelhauld View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keelhauld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 9:45pm
quote:
Originally posted by Jody

I don't think moving the H & NY line one block over is a big inconvenience.

When the Bob's line first started 30+ years ago, there wasn't a bus stop where the line met. When the HOV restrictions were lifted at 6 pm and we didn't think we were going to get a ride, riders walked to the Farragut West Metro, caught a train to the Pentagon to take the bus to Springfield.

I understand your point. I understand there may be slug lines that are not collocated with bus stops or other mass transit. That said I think most of the larger ones like 14th and NY are collocated and for obvious reasons. I do not like to rely on one option to get to work and especially not to get home. I like to increase my odds that if there is a problem I have a better than average chance of getting home. A slug-only-line does not give me options if the drivers all dry up or if I am trying to catch a ride close to the end of HOV restriction times. If I’m caught in that scenario I have to hump back to a bus stop and hope that I hit the time when a bus is arriving. If slug and bus are collocated I can make decisions real time depending on the situation. Bottom line, I agree with WoodbridgeVA1, move both slug and bus stops or move nothing and anyone that is randomly trying to move slug lines without taking into consideration the reasons they formed at their current location of their own accord is either trying to destroy the system intentionally or they are just too dim to understand how it works.
Jody View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 9:47am
Hi Keehauld. You're lucky the County was able to negotiate with the District to establish bus routes for you. The Bob's/RV lines have never had that option.

Here's hoping something can be worked out with the District that doesn't significantly impact our commutes.
snlfam View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snlfam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 11:39am
quote:
Originally posted by WoodbridgeVa1

Trying to move the slug lines away from the bus lines is a recipe for disaster. Whoever came up with this idea either does not understand how slugging works at the 14th street site or is deliberately trying to destroy slugging at that location. We need to oppose this quickly, vocally and often. I am contacting my elected officials tonight with a simple message -- move both bus route and slug line or move neither. Actually, if they move the bus line (which they should) the slug line will move of its own accord.

WoodbridgeVa1

Does anyone know which elected officials we need to contact about this? I have a feeling DC elected officials could care less about what I have to say because I live in Virginia. Are there elected officials in Virginia who have been involved with these proposed changes?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic