Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Split Horner AM 14th St/ Navy Yard-L'Enfant line
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Split Horner AM 14th St/ Navy Yard-L'Enfant line

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmurray0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 2:41pm
I wanted to propose the very same thing because the slug line was getting way too long and a lot of riders are not good at calling out more than 2 cars at a time! Thank you for taking the time and energy to make this happen! I'd have to say that it didn't work too well this morning. Over time, I'm sure it'll work out. When I got to the L'Enfant line this morning, the riders did not know which way the line should go and were lined up backwards. Also, the drivers did not know where to go. I think a huge part of the problem was that the signs were way too small and low to the ground. I have good eye sight and had to walk right up to signs to read them... so I'm sure drivers couldn't see them until they got right up next to them. Another big problem is that cars who turn into the lot right where the line is and go straight back have to make a 3-point turn to face the right way. Eventually, they'll figure out that they should loop around rather than drive straight back. Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the "W" before "NY" when referring to Navy Yard? I found that a bit confusing as well. Let's try to continue this effort and see if it smooths out!
cmurray0 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmurray0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 3:04pm
GeorgeML,
I understand where you are coming from. I'm sure this proposal would not have occurred if:
1. riders knew how to call out more than two cars at once
2. riders would let cars pull up when cars in front pull away
3. drivers would pull up when cars in front pull away. Sometimes they just sit there waiting for slow pokes to walk up.

Without the calling process being efficient, the line is too long. In the past two years I have gone from waiting 10 minutes at the most to waiting 15-20+ minutes minimum. I think people were willing to take other routes because of the length of the line and the wait. If they can take other routes because they are just as convenient or don't mind walking then they can choose the shorter line.
billchang2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billchang2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2010 at 5:40am

Well it worked great some of the time.... (and not so great at others). The comments here and on e-slug@yahoo have been largely positive so I suggest we keep going.

Action items:
1. We need for everyone to spread the word.

2. If you're a rider, please stand in the appropriate line or spend a couple minutes at the split diverting drivers to the left or right.

3. If you're a driver, please bear left at the split and stop at WNY/L'Enfant pickuppoint in the lot.

Regarding the signs, I asked for volunteers for the signs and no one stepped up. When I checked yesterday, two of the three signs were broken and left on the ground. We've asked the Board of Supervisors and VDOT for assistance with permanent signs and lanes.

On yestyerday:
When the cars went left and right, the slugs followed.

It was an unusually light day at 6:30.

It will be better when we have lots of cars and riders and the matchups. Tuesday's are usually very busy.

Thanks.

cynadm View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cynadm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2010 at 7:44am
The line this morning for NY/L'Enfant was extremely long and may present a hazard to fellow slugs, as it extended into the through lanes. Won't it make more sense to split NY and L'Enfant into two separate lines? Make 14th st and L'Enfant one line and NY it's own line. I either take Independence or L'Enfant, whichever comes first but now I have to commit to one line. Just my two cents.
Tiberius View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiberius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2010 at 1:13pm
HORNER ROAD PEOPLE - WE NEED TO GO BACK TO THE PREVIOUS 1 lines system. The new Horner road breakout into 2 lines was not a well though out idea. I did not speak to any one who though the splitting of the lines was a good idea. It has created mass confusion. Also, you still have cars going in both direction in the parking lot (unsafe). Also, you have this large line of people standing in the parking lot and nobody on the sidewalk which was more logical to all. If anyone says that it is an overwhelming success, I would suggest they stop by tomorrow morning and take an objective look and talk to the people in line. Again, for the last 2 days I have spoken to many people and I have overheard many negative comments. Although this is not a scientific method, I do believe the overwhelming majority prefer the old method. The only person who may favor the new method is probably the individual who suggested the change. I am sure they meant well, but unfortunately the change is a mess. I vote to return to the method that was working.

Tiberius
riverotter2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riverotter2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2010 at 1:45pm
I agree with GeorgeML and think we should keep the line exactly as it has been. I see no benefit to the proposal.

If the person submitting the proposal doesn't like the way people call out cars, then ask the person behind you in line to hold your place and go up and show us all how you think we should call cars. Maybe some good demonstrations is all we need to improve the current process.

I split my time between being a driver and being a slug. As both, I think the proposal to change is a bad idea and probably comes from a slug who only goes to the Navy Yard. As a slug, I like the option of 14th and Independence vs L'Enfant. I also prefer the safety of standing on a sidewalk in line as opposed to lining up arbitrarily in front of parked cars. As a driver, I like the same destination option with the addition of other stops along 14th; especially on Friday when slugs are light. Monday also presents fewer slugs but not nearly as bad as Friday.

I arrived this morning as a slug after being on vacation for some time and knew nothing about this proposal. To assume people familiar with the slugging system check this website on a regular basis is not fair. To assume a handful of positive responses speak for the majority when hundreds of people slug from this line is also not fair.

I do not believe the person behind this proposal is acting on the voice of the majority. I also do not believe the person who is responsible to this website should have made any changes without a response from the majority. A lack of a response is not a vote for the proposal.

I ignored the new line this morning and was able to get a ride to L'Enfant immediately in the line now designated for 14th St. The driver and his passenger also thought the new proposal was a very bad idea given the volume of cars that service this line. He knew nothing of the proposal except what I was able to convey by talking to the people in the bogus line. So what kind of effort did the person behind this propsal make to get by in from the majority? By splitting the lines the proposal will be causing major traffic congestion and jeopardizing the flow of traffic the way the lot was designed.

I believe the person behind this proposal is acting on his own accord and should stop imposing his idea on people until he has solid support that he can prove with numbers.
riverotter2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riverotter2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2010 at 2:01pm
Splitting the Navy Yard and L'Enfant is a bad idea because a lot of Navy Yard drivers will take L'Enfant slugs if they can't get any for the Navy Yard.

I really think our system wasn't broken and billchang2 is pushing forward without majority consensus. When I attempt to assemble a
PRO vs CON list I show nothing on the PRO side.

quote:
Originally posted by cynadm

The line this morning for NY/L'Enfant was extremely long and may present a hazard to fellow slugs, as it extended into the through lanes. Won't it make more sense to split NY and L'Enfant into two separate lines? Make 14th st and L'Enfant one line and NY it's own line. I either take Independence or L'Enfant, whichever comes first but now I have to commit to one line. Just my two cents.

cmurray0 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmurray0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2010 at 5:22pm
This morning was much better than yesterday. However, after seeing it run more efficiently, I think the location of the N.Y./L'E line is unsafe. Slugs are crossing in front of cars to get in line. Drivers are stopping as they enter by the front of the line to ask where to go causing a backup in the main road. It's difficult to turn around if drivers enter at the same lane as the slug line. A collision is bound to happen if cars from both lines pull out at the same time. At first I was interested in the split, but now I think its more trouble than its worth. My wait time didn't lessen at all today.
RIMZ98 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RIMZ98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2010 at 9:43am
You are right, cmurray0, splitting the lines did NOT work as GeorgeML, riverotter02, and Tiberius has stated in their post.

I appreciate the thought to improve the Horner lot slug line, but there was never a need to fix it as the process was never broke.

This morning, if I had not been paying attention to an SUV that entered through the WNY/L'Enfant entrance, then backed up to make a U-turn to turnaround pick up the slugs, there is a chance I could have been in an accident.

As of today, I honestly have not heard a positive thing about the split from WNY / L'Enfant slugs.
VNorman View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VNorman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2010 at 11:32am
I agree that this was a bad idea. It was also rushed and poorly advertised. Many of us don't use e-slug and were left in the dark about the change or where to leave feedback when we did hear of it. Of all the people I've spoken with about this over the past 2 weeks, only 1 thought the split would be an improvement. Drivers have said they don't want to have to come around from the other side of the lot, and as a slug I feel less safe in the new line.

It's true that some slugs aren't good about walking along the line of cars to yell out destinations, but maybe there's another solution. For instance, having the head of the slug line start at the curb a few yards down from the sidewalk near the first parking space (approximately where the 2nd or 3rd car in line would stop). The slugs could line up along the curb toward the sidewalk, then the line would curve around onto the sidewalk as usual. That would put a dozen or more slugs closer to the cars without having them cross in front of the cars, and make it easier for those at the head of the line to walk down the line of cars and still be heard. Whatever the solution is, I think it should be discussed more before being implemented.

VNorman
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
  Share Topic