Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Split Horner AM 14th St/ Navy Yard-L'Enfant line
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Split Horner AM 14th St/ Navy Yard-L'Enfant line

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2010 at 7:39am
I love the split. However I am a 14th street slug. I would hate to see the lines join back together.
riverotter2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riverotter2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2010 at 10:11am
cmurray0 has stated, "My wait time didn't lessen at all today."

Splitting the lines is not going to lessen anyones wait times. It does limit your options.

Your individual wait time is predicated on the number of people in front of you that share the same destination.

Case in point... If there are 20 people in line all going to 14th ST or Navy Yard and the 21st person that arrives in line is going to L'Enfant. The 21st person is the first person in line for L'Enfant.

This morning the driver I rode in with was very upset about the split. She looks for slugs going to either L'Enfant or 14th St, but prefers L'Enfant. She said she would not be happy driving up the L'Enfant line only to find out everyone is Navy Yard and then have to leave that line to get back in line for 14th St. She will pick up slugs at Potomac Mills before dealing with the split lines.

So now we risk loosing drivers because of this unnecessary split.

quote:
Originally posted by cmurray0

This morning was much better than yesterday. However, after seeing it run more efficiently, I think the location of the N.Y./L'E line is unsafe. Slugs are crossing in front of cars to get in line. Drivers are stopping as they enter by the front of the line to ask where to go causing a backup in the main road. It's difficult to turn around if drivers enter at the same lane as the slug line. A collision is bound to happen if cars from both lines pull out at the same time. At first I was interested in the split, but now I think its more trouble than its worth. My wait time didn't lessen at all today.

VNorman View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VNorman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2010 at 12:02pm
That makes sense. Nothing changed for 14th St riders except it's harder to get a ride with L'Enfant drivers. Unfortunately, the other 2/3 of us are now dodging traffic, watching for line jumpers, and explaining to frustrated drivers that this wasn't our idea.

quote:
Originally posted by Salty

I love the split. However I am a 14th street slug. I would hate to see the lines join back together.

VNorman
ClaudiaS View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClaudiaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 9:35am
Instead of complaining about the new system give it a change and help both sluggers and drivers to line up correctly. The system works better every day and both lines are moving much quicker.
riverotter2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riverotter2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 2:34pm
L'ENFANT SLUGS AND DRIVERS - REVERT BACK TO THE FORMER LINE TUESDAY DEC 14. TELL YOUR DRIVERS ON MONDAY.

As noted by VNorman, "Why are you dodging traffic, watching for line jumpers and explaining to frustrated drivers that this wasn't our idea?"

Check out the profile for billchang2. He is a self serving Navy Yard slug looking for a ride to the Navy Yard with the least amount of hassle. Per his coworkers, he claims if he is in the back of the line, he can't hear if the first car is Navy Yard. Come on billchang2, if a car is sitting with no riders, you are well informed by fellow slugs of that car's destination as you proceed to the back of the line. If that process didn't work, you can use your voice to ask.

Check out billchang2's profile on this site. He unsuccessfully attempted the same line split in May 2004 and March 2007. Now he is at it again.

If the Navy Yard slugs don't want to be part of the former line, that's fine. Let them create their own line but leave us L'Enfant slugs and drivers out of it!

The only reason he has dragged the L'Enfant slugs and drivers into his private plan is to ensure the Navy Yard drivers options for L'Enfant when there aren't enough Navy people to ride. The only thing Billchang2 cares about, is taking care of himself and his Navy Yard buddies. He doesn't care that he has eliminated 14th St options for L'Enfant slugs and drivers. I am sure he is feeling very smug right now.

I propose all L'Enfant slugs and drivers revert back to the former line on Tuesday Dec 14. Alert your drivers on Monday of the plan. The drivers will follow. Like all of us, they want to get to work with minimum hassle and have maximum options for that to happen.

There are still a lot of L'Enfant drivers queueing in the former line.

Those of you who agree, please print fliers and distribute them to fellow L'Enfant slugs and drivers. Very few of us visit this website and a lot of us don't even know about it. billchang2 has been operating heavily on the Navy Yard slug site. I guess that is where he claims he got his affirmative votes.

Salty View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 7:26am
Since the split; I am enjoying not have a crowded long line to wait in. I am enjoying not having to constantly shout back to the end of the line for a Navy Yard slug to walk all the way up to the car holding up the rest of the line.
I never really had a problem with L'Enfant slugs. They are usually near the front of the line. I would like to see some alternatives to joining the lines back together. Is the anywhere else 14th or NY & L'Enfant can line up.
wilkinak View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 8:20am
GO BACK TO A SINGLE LINE.

What happened this morning? I was thrilled on Friday to see that the lines had recombined. This morning, split again. As a rider, the split sucks. I use the Navy Yard line to go to Maritime Plaza (way the heck down M St by the I-295 ramp), and my prefered alternate route if I can't get a ride in is 14th St, not L'enfant. Easier for me to pick up Blue line at Indpendence to Eastern Market, & a nicer walk. Not an option with split lines. I'm not all happy with having to stand in the middle of a dark parking lot when a perfectly good sidewalk is steps away. Lots more traffic in that area than the Rosslyn line has.

As a driver, the New N.Y. line is cumbersome at best. 2 lanes of outbound and 1 lane of inbound is nuts. I will pick up at the Pentagon line if this continues - much easier to deal with.

SPLITTING THE LINES DOESN'T CHANGE THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE GOING TO OR DRIVING TO A DESTINATION (Well, the number driving will decrease). THIS WAS A STUPID IDEA.
LaEnfantBound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaEnfantBound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 9:49am
To say the effort was unsuccessful because there was confusion is a bit premature since only 1 week was allowed. By that logic we should not have returned to the previous way as there was an equal amount of confusion introduced by going back to the old way.

The ONLY negative aspect I can underastand is the comment about standing by parked cars rather than the sidewalk. Other than than, considering how few people knew about the change, I did not see that big a problem.. What I got was a week of getting rides sooner and not having to strive to hear the calle from 7 cars back.

My $.02
Blkjewelz8960 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blkjewelz8960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 10:19am
This idea was not well thought out or planned from the very beginning. It did not have rider/driver buy-in. I, for one, did not/do not agree with the split.

As a driver, I have the option if I want to take someone to another destination than the one I am going. While I drive to the Navy Yard daily, I will take others to L'Enfant and even 14th and Penn if I am in a rush to get to the Yard. With the line split that option no longer exists.

With the winter months approaching, you will probably find more riders willing to go wherever the first car is going to get out of the cold. They no longer have that option to catch the quickest ride and hope metro because of the split.

For safety and better line options, we need to REVERT BACK to the normal way of things. ONE LINE

~"When you have eliminated all which is impossible then whatever
remains, however Improbable, must be the truth."~ Sherlock Holmes
Blkjewelz8960 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blkjewelz8960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 10:23am
I suspect some forget not everyone is on the Slug-Lines website nor do they receive the e-slug emails thus the split led to confusion.[xx(]

quote:
Originally posted by LaEnfantBound

To say the effort was unsuccessful because there was confusion is a bit premature since only 1 week was allowed. By that logic we should not have returned to the previous way as there was an equal amount of confusion introduced by going back to the old way.

The ONLY negative aspect I can underastand is the comment about standing by parked cars rather than the sidewalk. Other than than, considering how few people knew about the change, I did not see that big a problem.. What I got was a week of getting rides sooner and not having to strive to hear the calle from 7 cars back.

My $.02

~"When you have eliminated all which is impossible then whatever
remains, however Improbable, must be the truth."~ Sherlock Holmes
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
  Share Topic