Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Split Horner AM 14th St/ Navy Yard-L'Enfant line
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Split Horner AM 14th St/ Navy Yard-L'Enfant line

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobbrannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 10:47am
I just posted a comment/question on this subject somewhere else on this blog site and then I found the topic thread with everything I needed right here!

This morning at 7 there was some confusion among both drivers and riders regarding the new split. I'm a Lenfant driver with no preference for which system works best. But here's the problem with doing it the way we are right now - drivers can't see the queue until they get close to the split. That means the queue backs way up, especially if you're late, as in 7, and drivers just don't know where to go or what to do until it gets even later, and more difficult for everyone.

Seems to me we should give some thought to alternative locations - as several have already suggested - rather than continue with a split line. Meanwhile, I'll happily defer to the more experienced among you and continue to support as best I can.

Bob
JOEVA22191 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JOEVA22191 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 11:19am
This whole idea has been one massive goat-rope from the outset.

Nobody knew it was comming, riders or drivers. it goes from 1 to 2 lines everyother day

Cars from the navy yard line pulling out run into the 14th st cars comingout in AND cars pulling into the lot itself by the busstop AND pedestrians(riders)crossing the lot to get into whatever line(s) exist today.

stick with the original one line. we're only going to work, after all, what's the rush?
Jody View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 1:01pm
We had a similar problem going home with the Bob's/RV line at Constitution Ave. Because there were far more cars going to Bob's, the RV people would be at the front of the line. RV riders would wave the car on, the driver had no idea where the first Bob's rider was in line and would go to the back of the line to pick up riders. We asked RV riders to relay the destination back so we could get to the car quicker, but they were sporadic in complying with our request.

Back in the 90s, a gentlemen asked all Bob's riders to take one step to the right. He announced there would be two lines at this location. If the RV riders wanted to catch a ride to Bob's, they needed to go to the back of the Bob's line. The RV riders were upset and tried for several days to get it back to a single line. But if a Bob's rider saw one line, we would ask where people were going. If anyone said Bob's, we formed a separate line. The drivers love it because riders get into the cars much quicker.

slug123456789 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slug123456789 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 1:36pm
Okay, this is likely going to be long so sorry in advance.

The Crystal City, Pentagon, and Rosslyn lines are all separate. The CC and Ros lines are in the parking lot. The slugs line up along the parking lane and cars drive down whichever line they want. The Pentagon is of course at the curb next to the bus stop. This current situation is no different than what the split of the 14St line is trying to do. Pedestrians are everywhere. Cars are going every which direction and it works fine. People and cars figure it out. I think it is absolutely ridiculous of people saying that the cars are going to be "hitting" other cars (or whatever), that the lines are too close. Please!! I have seen where the proposed line is supposed to be and there is plenty of room for people to line up and a car to pull along. The DRIVER needs to LOOK where they are going. It is as simple as that, no more, no less. The DRIVER should go SLOWLY as it pulls out so it can react if it sees something. My God!! What a concept. Driving slow is a "new invention" called not applying the gas and having your foot hover over the brake JUST IN CASE. Duh!! Folks, this is not hard. I think most of you went to college and beyond so let’s use our brains for something other than playing solitaire on the cell phone. Okay? If the Pentagon, CC and Ros lines can be separate, then so can 14st. Those lines are close enough together that slugs can see how many cars are waiting vs. how many people and they can make a decision on which line they want to get into. If someone is going to CC but there are no cars, and the Pentagon does have cars, then that person can walk the few feet over and get into a car. Stop harping on this and the person in charge needs to make a decision on yea or nay to the split. If a car is blocking the lane to the new Navy line, call the police and tow the car! Once the lines are split and people have been doing it for months to years, it will be routine and familiar. Make a choice and stick with it. The other lines were one line once upon a time and figured out how to separate. 14st can do it too!!! [:D][8D]
wisdumseeker76 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wisdumseeker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 2:18pm
The matter you of the lines going from one line to two lines every other day has been happening all week. When I arrive at the lot, which is between 6:50 and 7:05 am, I have noticed a vehicle and sign blocking the area recently designated for L'enfant/Navy slugees/slugers. Monday, there were two gentlemen sitting in the vehicle, and shortly after I was diverted to go to the initial line to pick-up for L'enfant, I turned and the vehicle and sign were gone. This confused several people who were not there earlier enough to see the vehicle and sign. Therefore, the cars arriving after the vehicle had departed, proceeded to go to the newly appointed L'enfant line and was able to pick up slugers going to L'enfant before the cars that had arrived earlier, but was now stuck in the old line. This was merely caused by the redirection to the normal line. It caused major confusion. I am not that familiar with the organizational structure of slugging, so I'm wondering if the gentlemen were self-appointed. The same scenario occurred again on Tuesday. I say all this to say, I prefer the two lines to remain split. The split-line method has been very effective and efficient. I agree with slug123456789, FIGURE IT OUT!!! Change is the only thing constant, so learn to strategically adapt.
2ndGenSlug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ndGenSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 2:22pm
This continues to cause confusion and chaos.

Unlike the Pentagon/Crystal City/Rosslyn lines, the lane identified for Navy Yard/L'Enfant Plaza is quite short. Today was the third morning that I have witnessed the new line backing up so far that folks going to the original line couldn't get to it.

As a long time slug, who occassionally drives, and who has been a rider and passenger from almost every line in the system, both in and out of the 'burbs, I have seen many changes to the lines over time. This is by far the most chaotic, most disruptive, least safe, and least beneficial change.

I strongly encourage going back to one line.

The only change I would recommend making is to have the cars and riders line up facing the same direction - instead of opposed to each other. This has a few benefits:
1. This reduces the distance riders have to walk to a vehicle when lines are long and consequently reduces the wait time for other riders and drivers alike;
2. It's easier for multiple vehicles to be loaded simultaneously, again reducing wait time for rides and drivers; and
3. Riders can better hear the caller because they are not up against the road where passing buses and cars make it difficult to hear.

However, keeping the line the way it was before Thanksgiving works well too. This changing from 1 - 2 days, day to day and even within the same morning is confusing and unsafe.
dkee2u View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkee2u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 8:38am
I am a Navy Yard slug and in favor of a split. I do agree that the previously-proposed location of the new line presented some safety concerns for drivers and slugs. A solution would be to move the Navy Yard line to the overflow (or third) lot. There's plenty of parking, and the line could be established with safety in mind. Thanks.
divacheer1 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote divacheer1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 10:49am
As of Monday, December 13th the slug-line was combined for all drop-offs (Navy Yard/L’Enfant and 14st). The issue is there are a lot of riders/drives that are still unaware of the change. We get to the lot between 6:40 and 7:15 and have been told that the lines are combined by the “coordinator” but once the “coordinator” leaves people who are unaware that the lines are combined, will split the line (coordinator- guy in black Avalon).

Due to the weather advisory today, drivers waited at least 40 mins or more for riders depending on what time they arrived at the lot (we arrived at 7:15 and didn’t get a rider until 8). Myself and other drivers, told the drivers who split the line, that the lines are now combined!!! Nonetheless, these drivers disregarded the information that was given to them and continued to wait in there own line and picked up riders only after a 5 to 15 min wait. I know everyone is trying to get to work on time but I find it extremely rude of these drives after myself and others waited for such a long time (don't get me wrong, I don't mind waiting, I have a problem with ill-mannered people).

I am a Navy Yard slugger in favor for the split. If the line was split maybe I could've got to work on time today [:)]. The commuter lot is big enough where the Navy Yard/L’Enfant or 14st line can relocate to a different part of the lot which is convenient and safe for both riders and drivers. I just think we need to find a solution asap. Thank goodness tomorrow is Friday. Be safe, stay warm and have a great day [:D]
bobbrannon View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobbrannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2010 at 6:45pm
this morning was tough ... we really do need to sort this problem out soon.

Bob
TR025 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TR025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 1:35pm
Let me pile on with my frustrations about re-combining the line as I sit in a line of cars 10-15 deep with riders trolling down the line to find someone to take them to wherever...the idea to split the line was outstanding but poorly executed. Let's try again, this time with some planning! Let everyone know it's going to happen, post signs for two-three weeks and pass out fliers with diagrams showing where the lines will be located. Find a location in the lot that will accomodate a line without putting riders at risk. Suggest keeping L'Enfant and Navy Yard together, and splitting out 14th St riders. Leave LF and Navy in the current location and re-locate the 14th St Line. If you build it, advertise it properly and thoughtfully, and execute it...it will work!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
  Share Topic