Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Split Horner AM 14th St/ Navy Yard-L'Enfant line
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Split Horner AM 14th St/ Navy Yard-L'Enfant line

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrChen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2011 at 11:32am
I'd say leave it the same. More options in case if one destination is moving along faster than another. Or if you're the slug and are going to somewhere further than where you get dropped off (metro)options are good if they can access metro. I.E. Navy Yard, you can take L'Enfant and then metro to Navy Yard. By having all 3 at the same line, you have more choices.

Maybe I missed it, but why did the idea of splitting it up even come up in the first place? Is it the long wait because of lots of cars and people don't walk to them? Why don't people start walking up to the cars?

Why sit on the sidewalk and wait for a car to pull up?

If the whole line starts walking or maybe a section at a time starts walking, maybe the whole car/people line will get moving quicker!

This also goes for those at the Potomac/Horner line at the Pentagon in the afternoon. I don't get it why people like to wait in line when there's a line of cars waiting to pick them up. They just need to have the inclination to start walking to the cars and get going quicker. But I guess some people like to be passive rather than active.
GeorgeML View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeorgeML Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2011 at 8:56pm
PDenny
My point is if you are going to have a vote then capture the options that were presented in various posts to the Blog. To merely restate the issue as origionally imposed is not a proper vote giving people a choice of what they may want.
wilkinak View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2011 at 3:25pm
I really wish you all would just leave the line alone. So I wait 10 minutes to get a free ride? small price to pay. Go find an HOA to run, get your power trip there and leave the slug line alone.
MoxieMom View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MoxieMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 11:02am
I have definitely been around WAY TOO LONG. Various forms of splitting these destinations were tried when the original lines were created at the time the "Horner" Road lot was expanded and have arisen from time to time since then. These three destinations always gravitate back together.

This is why: If there are no drivers for Navy Yard later in the morning, Navy Yard Slugs have, and often times use, the option of hopping in with a L'Enfant driver. A slug looking for L'Enfant later in the morning has the option of hopping in with a 14th Street Driver, if no L'Enfant drivers are coming through. A slug looking for a 14th street driver has the option of hopping in with a L'Enfant Driver if no 14th Street drivers are coming their way. Vice versa is true for the drivers in terms of who they snatch. It is all about having options for the slugs as well as the drivers. That is why these three destinations are, and always will be, inextricably connected.

The line moves okay during the early morning hours when slugs and cars are plentiful. It is the later (if you can believe the 7:00 a.m. is "later") hours the will forever link these three destinations. This is a force of nature people. Stop trying to engineer Mother Nature.

Lastly, if what GeorgeML posted above on 23 Jan 2011 at 22:13:03 is true; then shame on you - whoever initiated this. S-can the vote.

MoxieMom
cmp9969 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmp9969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 10:41am
I have always wondered why they don't use the north side, behind the bus stops as a slug line location. My proposal to the split is to split the Navy Yard to that location. It would be SAFE, the Navy Yard would run faster and the 14th & L'Enfant riders/drivers would run faster and have their options. The map can be found at Proposed Navy Yard Line Split
VA Slugger
MoxieMom View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MoxieMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 3:31pm
I just received a email notification of the "voting" results. The following is quoted from the opening paragraph of Denny Palmer's email:

quote:
"The voting period has ended and thanks goes out to all that participated. The final results are 87 in favor of a split, 23 opposed, and 17 that signed up to vote but never cast their vote."

Of the hundreds and hundreds who use this line daily, Only 87 voted to make the move. Given GeorgeML comment above about the confusion as to what a person was actually voting for, it is quite possible that many of the "yes" votes were accidental.

Yet Mr. Palmer sees this has license to order and implement the split. Good luck all. I am out of the morning slug pick-up business the day it is implemented.

Slug-Line.com webmaster, please send out a general notice to all registered Slug-Lines.com users when these two line eventually merge back together again, as they inevitably will. I may begin picking up again then.

MoxieMom
bacano View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bacano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 1:45pm
when does the split take effect?

Robert Willis
driver1 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote driver1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 9:57am
I both am a slug at times and a driver the majority of times. I believe in options and leaving the lines together gives me as both a slug and driver the best available options. I can choose which place to go depending on what comes up first. If I'm driving I can choose a different location if there's no one at the first one I call out. By having all 3 at the same line, both slugs and drivers have more choices. For me, my 2 interchangeable locations are 14th and L'enfant. By splitting those two, you take away my options.

ejones View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 12:49pm
As the saying goes, “You can’t make everyone happy all of the time.” As for the split, not everyone will be happy with it but if you were a slug in this morning’s line, you probably think we need to split the lines up again. With the combined slugs from Potomac Mills, the line was so long this morning when I got there around 6:15am. Thank goodness it only took 15-20 minutes to get a ride in. It could have been much faster with separate designated lines. There needs to be a change done when you’re standing in the slug line and can’t even hear the caller calling out the car destinations because you’re so far back in the slug line, and when you get closer to the front of the line you hear the caller yelling out designations so lowed that they will probably get a sore throat from doing so. We really need to go back to the split. Why wait to go through so many cars to get to the one car for your destination when there could be a car just there for you and no one will need to loose their voice in the process. Please post any information you have regarding the 14th Street/L’Enfant/Navy Yard line split, if you have any current information on it, on this website. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks! Happy Valentine's Day!
PDenny View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 3:48pm
All,
Things were delayed due to the Town Hall Meeting that took place last week. Today I sent an e-mail to those addresses that participated. I've also been in discussion with David LeBlanc from slug-lines.com and he will post an announcement on this site. I will also have flyers at the current pickup point by Wed morning. I've proposed to start the split on Feb 22nd which give everyone (drivers and riders) a week to get the news out so there is minimal confusion.

I realize as one person has stated that 95 people is only a percentage of the apparent hundreds that use this line, but there were three weeks that all of us had the opportunity to read the flyer that was available at the front of the line or hear from other sluggers about the vote. We all had the opportunity to vote during that time. This is not a case of "implementing a license to order a split", I was merely a facilitator of a process that many people were asking for in order to have closure to the split issue that occured at the end of last year. This is something that needs to be tried. The line at 7 AM this morning was 8 people past the manhole cover. That is ridiculously long.

Yes, there are no guarantees that this will help. And yes, there is absolutely no one size fits all with these issues. But both drivers and riders have had their fair share of issues over the past month with long lines and wait times. All everyone wants to do is get to work as efficiently as possible.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
  Share Topic