Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Split Horner AM 14th St/ Navy Yard-L'Enfant line
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Split Horner AM 14th St/ Navy Yard-L'Enfant line

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billchang2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Split Horner AM 14th St/ Navy Yard-L'Enfant line
    Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 10:17am
Proposal for splitting the 14th St/ Navy Yard-L'Enfant morning slug line at
Horner

Good morning sluggers!

With the lines growing each day I'd like to propose a split between the 14th St.
and Navy Yd/ L'Enfant (NY/L) slug lines.

The car split would be at the last turn all drivers now make with 14th St
drivers using the existing (East most) lane. NY/L drivers would bear to their
left at that last turn point to come up the 2nd row from the East.

The rider split would be into 2 lines with 14th St riders lining up to their
left and

NY/L riders lining up to their right.

Here's the link to the Google map. (You'll have to cut and paste- couldn't figure out how to turn HTML on- I apologize for the odd hooks at the path ends, there's something buggy about the line tools)

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=114370710675842379213.0004951856883e8bf1579&ll=38.65863,-77.282751&spn=0.001139,0.002406&t=h&z=19

One other option would be to have the NY/L riders line up in the crosshatch area
at the N end of the lines so they wouldn't need to cross traffic to board, but
that area may be too small to accomodate the queue.

I'm looking for any comments by Wed 11/17/10 noon in support of this proposal or
for alternatives. I would suggest we start the split next Monday 11/22 so we
can socialize the details. I will post on SLug-lines.com as well.

Thanks for your time.
billchang2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billchang2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 9:08am
Modified Proposal for splitting and moving the 14th St/WNY-L'Enfant morning slug line(s) from Horner

Good morning sluggers!

I propose we move the lines down into the lot along the parked cars just like the other lines (Pentagon- CC- Roslyn). This is clearly a more efficient way to match/ dispatch as the communications take place between several drivers several riders at the same time.

Based on some feed back (including some from the Slug-Lines.com Webmaster, thanks) and some previous attempts on the part of several of us to change the line direction/ location, I've modified the proposal and clarified it on the map. (Slug-line users will need to copy and paste)

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=114370710675842379213.0004951856883e8bf1579&t=h&z=19

There was one comment about chaos for the drivers, but I believe they'll get it.

Again, I'm looking for any additonal comments by Wed 11/17/10 noon in support of this proposal or for alternatives. I would suggest we start the split next Monday 11/22. I will post on SLug-lines.com as well.

The best systems are a combination of order and chaos. (Someone must have said this in a more eloquent way.....

Thanks for your interest.
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billchang2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 9:45am
We'll need help advertising this at the PM L'Enfant Line. Anyone willing to volunteer to print and/or distribute flyers or post a sign at the L'Enfant PM line?? Thanks
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billchang2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 8:22am
Overall the responses have largely favored the split. In order to get the word out and based on a recommendation by the Slug-Lines.com Webmaster, the proposed start date will be moved to Monday Nov 29th, 2010.

Comments are still welcome.

Thank you.

Salty View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2010 at 8:01am
I would like to see this split also. My only concern is the way cars back up on Fridays waiting for slugs. The lane assignments look good to me for every other day.
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billchang2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2010 at 1:59pm
Gotten many comments, thanks. Response has been largely positive. We've taken
the suggestion(s) to leave (or move back) the 14th St line to the sidewalk.
We've also contacted Corey Stewart and Mike May about signage and perhaps a one
way/ do not enter to reduce any confusion, but that may take a while.

We're targeting Monday 11/29 to start.

Still looking for volunteers to print and distribute flyers (especially at
L'Enfant) and create signs.

Have a great weekend.

Here's the updated map.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=114370710675842379213.0004951856883e8bf1579&t=h&ll=38.658695,-77.282732&spn=0.000934,0.00192&z=19
str8upjlc View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote str8upjlc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2010 at 1:20pm
I love the idea and believe adding signs at the v area where the decision would need to be made as far as what line to enter in the morning to direct drivers for the first week or so would aid the process.
GeorgeML View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeorgeML Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 11:47am
The split line this morning did not work very well at 6:25 AM. Drivers were confused.

Splitting the line also limits alternatives for riders willing to walk from Independence to the Metro or to Walk to LEnfant or to take a ride down Independence from 14th street.

Splitting the line provides limited space for the L'Enfant/Navy Yard Line. The cars must drive around the lot most of the way anyway to get there. Splitting the line also makes is more congested for those cars trying to get into the lot from the North side and now having to do a U-turn inside the lot.

I recommend keeping the lines together and emphasize that the callers should call out the first three cars rather than standing on the curb if a Navy Yard car is waiting for a rider. Cars typically do not have to wait if they are going to L'Enfant.

Splitting the lines just adds more congestiion to an aready cramped area and limits options for riders willing to take rides to either 14 and Independence or L'Enfant.

quote:
Originally posted by str8upjlc

I love the idea and believe adding signs at the v area where the decision would need to be made as far as what line to enter in the morning to direct drivers for the first week or so would aid the process.

ClaudiaS View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClaudiaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 1:30pm
I really like this change, but have to admit it was a bit of a confusion this moring. I will be printing out the flyer to advertise the change.

Having two lines one for 14 Street and another one for Navy Yard and L'Enfant makes sense for both Driver's and sluggers, I am definitely in favor.

Thanks for making this change.

GeorgeML View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeorgeML Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 2:35pm
What is it that you specifically like about having two lines given the issues that I discussed in my previous post? What advantage is there for two lines in the limited area?

quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaS

I really like this change, but have to admit it was a bit of a confusion this moring. I will be printing out the flyer to advertise the change.

Having two lines one for 14 Street and another one for Navy Yard and L'Enfant makes sense for both Driver's and sluggers, I am definitely in favor.

Thanks for making this change.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic