Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How long does the commute take from 610?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moksha180 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How long does the commute take from 610?
    Posted: 02 Jun 2003 at 3:04pm
Thinking about moving out to that area and was wondering if someone could tell me the average length of their commute from 610 to DC and then back. My hours are 8:30 - 5.

Also - are carpools/vanpools in the area?

Thanks!
Arbo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2003 at 7:32am
At 6:30AM - about 45 minutes from 610 to Pentagon.
At 5:00PM - about 50-60 minutes from Pentagon to 610 (unless there's a backup at the end of the HOV, then it can be up 2 hours, esp on a Friday afternon in summer).

Very active slug lines, vanpools galore, and buses.
SlugBuddy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlugBuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2003 at 4:39pm
I would highly discourage moving to the area. The traffic is almost always backed up on 95 and the more people that move out that way, the worst it will be. Then there's Route 610. Unless you don't need to go anywhere on the weekends and like to sit in backed up traffic when coming home from work, then I guess you might like it. Just getting out of the commuter lot can take 20 minutes (at one light) and don't expect to find parking there unless you get there by 6:30 a.m. The traffic is almost always backed up on that road. The restaraunt and shopping choices are also not very abundant as opposed to Northern Va.
tondalea View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tondalea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2003 at 10:30am
I don't know where you are moving from, but traffic is no worse than anywhere else. It sure is a better way of living than some places further up north. There are also plans for more restaurants and shopping in the area and it's not too far from Potomac Mills or Central Park (Fredericksburg), which both have lots of stores and places to eat. One thing that is true is trying to get out of the lot, it can be a mess at times. It has it's pros and cons, just like living anywhere else.
Arbo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2003 at 3:32pm
You can also take the train (VRE) out of Brroke Point or Quantico. I do that on Fridays during the summer. It takes longer, but you don't have to worry about HOV restrictions, accidents, traffic delays, etc. The train is normally on time....
SlugBuddy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlugBuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2003 at 2:31pm
The traffic up north is pretty bad but at least their roads are better planned for than Staffords are. I have lived in Stafford all my life and it is very apparent that the planning of our roads have not been a priority. They are in far worse shape than other localities up north and who wants to commute all the way down here and then have to sit in more traffic once they get to their hometown?
tdar20 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdar20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2003 at 1:48pm
Living out towards the 610 area is teriffic!! Traffic is bad anywhere you go so write that off as soon as you can. when I get home at night it is the best feeling!!
DC_Slugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC_Slugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2003 at 3:19pm
I leave 610 at 7:15-7:30 and it takes about 45 minutes in.
I leave DC at 4:30 and it takes about 1 hour.

It's not bad. I had moved up to Fairfax for awhile thinking that it would be a better commute....boy was I wrong! If you are commuting, 95 is one of the best routes...especially with all of the options we have. VRE, bus, carpools, vanpools, slugging, etc.

Go for it. You will get more bang for your buck with a house too!
moksha180 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moksha180 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2003 at 4:45pm
Thanks for all your responses. I have to agree with DC Slugger. I live in Fairfax right now and it takes me an hour - 30 minutes to the metro and 30 minutes on the metro. Even though I'm very close to the vienna metro - traffic is bad so it takes longer. So an hour is fine with me!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic