FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHOT lanes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
jerryclapham View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerryclapham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2003 at 8:55am
I agree with you that my suggestion to put a toll on 95/395 does not make sense. It was made to give an extreme suggestion to cut down on traffic on the 95/395 corridor. Yes we have paid for the roads (including the HOV lanes) with our tax dollars. But if Richmond really wants to reduce traffic and cut smog this will be the way to do it. I know it would never work. However neither will charging a toll on the HOV lanes for LOV. But yet Richmond will spend our tax dollars on a study to try to disprove. Maybe they will use the same firms that gave the low-ball estimates on the Mixing bowl projects.

Jerry
mroyal View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mroyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2003 at 3:09pm
quote:
Originally posted by jerryclapham
[br]I got an idea. Lets keep the HOV lanes as is (no toll). Except get rid of the hybreds. And We start charging non-hov cars a toll on the regular lanes of 95/395. This will increase traffic flow, reduce smog and encourge carpools and mass transit. Then will all those millions we could build more roads or mass transit.

Jerry

So, you propose to make 95/395 a toll road except for HOV, who not only get an open lane of traffic, but also at no cost.
Sorry, but that makes no sense to me. First, we have already paid (or are still paying) for these roads with taxes. Secoundly, there are a number of folks who drive solo out of necessity. Lastly, HOV lanes are a great benefit already. No need to provide further incentive to those who have already found ways of getting this benefit. WRT the hybrids, I disagree with you, but that is a different thread, isn't it.

But, they are not really interested in easing traffic flow with HOT, are they. It's all about the money. Pity, because I agree with those who say that the cost to create and maintain a HOT infrastructure would overide any net gain. It would also make HOV enforcement virtually impossible.

Let's just spend the money on (yet) another study.

The only change that I would suggest to ease the overall traffic is to change the HOV on 95 to HOV2, yet leave the HOV on 395 to HOV3. This would help two major conjestion areas on the regular lanes and encourage rideshare on 495.

Kindest Regards,

mroyal
jerryclapham View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerryclapham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2003 at 12:48pm
I got an idea. Lets keep the HOV lanes as is (no toll). Except get rid of the hybreds. And We start charging non-hov cars a toll on the regular lanes of 95/395. This will increase traffic flow, reduce smog and encourge carpools and mass transit. Then will all those millions we could build more roads or mass transit.

Jerry
elama View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2003 at 12:31pm
Thank you and../ you go guy!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Admin
[br]First of all I agree with you completely. Second, I'm hoping to add another section to the website for "Slugging Activists" (for lack of a better term). I'd like to list all the officials involved in not only HOT but other issues that impact slugging.

I think getting involved will be the focus of my next newsletter!

Erin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2003 at 3:29pm
I'm in complete agreement! The idea of HOT lanes terrifies me... I love my commute the way it is. I live in Dumfries and it takes me about 50 minutes total to get door-to-door (I work at 14th&I). Why mess with a good thing? Some letters are definitely in order!
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2003 at 7:04am
To prevent confusion of having two different threads discussing the same topic, the thread "HOV to HOT" has been locked from future postings. Please post all future comments here. Thanks.
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2003 at 12:40pm
First of all I agree with you completely. Second, I'm hoping to add another section to the website for "Slugging Activists" (for lack of a better term). I'd like to list all the officials involved in not only HOT but other issues that impact slugging.

I think getting involved will be the focus of my next newsletter!
wdossel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wdossel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2003 at 9:26am
Well, at the risk of getting flamed, there already is a form of HOT at work -- the use of hybrids in the HOV lane. In effect, people are paying $18K+ for using the HOV w/o more than one occupant...

HOT's are a poor method to raise revenue ostensibly for local projects -- frankly, does anyone on this board *really* expect that No. Va tolls will be plowed back into No. Va projects? As a former resident of Hampton Roads, I can assure you that there isn't a toll that once in place, the good folks in Richmond won't move heaven and earth to try and keep in place (the Beach "expressway" being one stellar example) and route the monies elsewhere in the state.

This is a real threat to the continued use of the HOVs as originally intended, and we as a group need to get the ear of our legislators -- *now* before the pro-toll advocates get a foothold or we're going to end up behind the [8]. I think it would be particularly useful if we obtained a summary of local and state officials' position re. HOT for use in future elections...

- Will
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2003 at 6:30am
Does anyone have detailed information on the HOT lanes? Exactly what they are proposing, how it will operate, etc. I'm trying to locate the details of what they are proposing but have been unsuccessful (other than the newspaper articles).

If you have anything, I'd appreciate it.

MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2003 at 5:00am
I just don't understand how they'll effectively enforce it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic