Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cheaters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cheaters
    Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 7:12am
Anybody notice that btw 6 and 7am coming up 395 it seems like every third or fourth car is a single driver w/o hybrid tags? Every once in while I've seen some enforcement going on but none at the bottom of the entrance ramps to the HOV where they'd really catch a bunch. Why can't they have one trooper waving the parsites over and the other just taking pictures of their tags to mail out their tickets? That way they keep the flow going and maximize their efforts.

Flyby
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 8:46am
They need to ticket the actual driver, not the owner of the car. They need electronic ticket machines, like the parking people have. Swipe their license, hit a few buttons, send them on their way.
NO44 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NO44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 8:51am
YES! WE WERE JUST TALKING ABOUT THAT LAST NIGHT! I see it more at night when it is dark. it drives me nuts!

quote:
Originally posted by Flyby

Anybody notice that btw 6 and 7am coming up 395 it seems like every third or fourth car is a single driver w/o hybrid tags? Every once in while I've seen some enforcement going on but none at the bottom of the entrance ramps to the HOV where they'd really catch a bunch. Why can't they have one trooper waving the parsites over and the other just taking pictures of their tags to mail out their tickets? That way they keep the flow going and maximize their efforts.

Flyby

Nic
colossus911 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colossus911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 10:47am
That is because they have almost no enforcement. Although the whole program should be generating plenty of money the state has decided to let folks get a pass. Its shameful, hurts the entire program and really drives people crazy.
Flyby View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 8:13am
Does anyone have a contact in the VA State Troopers headquarters that may listen to our concerns? How about any caring member of the House of Delegates? I know I contacted Dave Albo once regarding concerns about hybrid cheaters and he blew me off. Anyone else out there who may lend an ear?

Flyby
colossus911 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colossus911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 3:01pm
I got the email below from Bud.Cox@vsp.virginia.gov was and the regional office was VSPDiv7@vsp.virginia.gov. As follow up to complaints. I have corresponded with Albo before, he has written State police at my request on this issue but it sure isn't going to change until the state police make it a real priority.

Dear Mr. :
Lieutenant Colonel E.A. Stockton, Director of the Bureau of Field Operations for the Virginia State Police has asked me to thank you for and respond to e-mail of October 5, 2010, regarding HOV violators and enforcement.

We certainly understand your concerns regarding those motorists who flagrantly violate the HOV lane restrictions.

It may interest you to know that during 2009, troopers issued 26,221 summonses for HOV violations. You may be assured that we will continue to address the problems you identified and ensure our available resources are effectively and efficiently utilized.

There are approximately 950 troopers who have patrol responsibility for 95 counties and nearly 65,000 miles of highway in the Commonwealth of Virginia. A manpower allocation study recently completed indicates that approximately 350 additional troopers are needed to provide the professional level of service expected of the Virginia State Police.

Please be assured we are using every resource we have available to effectively address these violations on our roads and enforce the other laws we are charged with enforcing.

I am also forwarding a copy of your e-mail to Captain T.S. Russillo our Division Commander in Fairfax for her information and attention to the problems you identified.

Thank you for your concern for highway safety.

Bud Cox
Business Manager
Virginia State Police
804-674-2127
Bud.Cox@vsp.virginia.gov

AngloAustrian View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngloAustrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 4:58pm
When this topic came up in another post a while back, I also wrote to Captain Rusillo, and got a similar pat response as above. I have to think that if they hierd and put police in the HOV lanes, they would more than pay for themselves by giving out just a couple of tickets a day - and there are plenty of violators, as we all know.
gatewayslug View Drop Down
Junior Slug
Junior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatewayslug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 3:31pm
Every so often, when this topic comes up, invariably the comment comes up that the increased enforcement would pay for itself from the increase in collected fines. Maybe someone who has more spare time than I do can check this out, but it is my understanding from various newspaper articles, etc that by law the fines collected from HOV violators go to fund Virginia education, not to the VA State Police.
CJ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 9:35pm
While I find the cheaters annoying and think they are pond scum, everytime the troopers do serious enforcement, it backs up traffic for miles. Last time I remember them coming out in force, I ended up being late 30 minutes because everything was backed up in Springfield.

CJ
Flyby View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2010 at 7:24am
But if they would just do their enforcing at the top of the ramps in the am and pm then the morons that hit the brakes every time they even think they see a state trooper vehicle won't see them, hence no traffic tie-ups. Just takes a little bit of common sense.

Flyby
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic