Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Signs You Should Not Be In The Left Lane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bamboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Signs You Should Not Be In The Left Lane
    Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 6:18pm
So, I know this has been discussed before, but I thought I would have a little fun with it. This is assuming folks are not exiting from the left and is in my absolute best Jeff Foxworthy voice. [8D]

• If one car passes you in the right lane – that’s a sign you should not be in the left lane.

• If several cars pass you in the right lane – that’s a sign you should not be in the left lane.

• When there are no cars in front of you and you pass the one and only car in the right lane and realize, as you glance in your rearview mirror that there are cars lined up behind you as far as you can see – that’s a sign you should not be in the left lane.

• When the bus in the right lane is going faster then you, uphill – that’s a sign you should not be in the left lane.

• When you are happily going 55 mph in the right lane, viewing the scenery with no cars for miles around in front of you and you happen to see a car coming up in the left lane that is clearly going to pass you so you decide for some reason only known to you to get in the left lane forcing the other car to get in the right lane to pass you – that’s a sign you should not be in the left lane.

• When you decide to pace the car in the right lane and the car in the right lane starts to go a little bit faster then you causing three cars behind you to excitedly get in the right lane thinking they are finally going to be able to pass you only to find that you speed up forcing all of them to get back in the left lane in hopes that you will stop pacing the car in the right lane – that’s a sign you should not be in the left lane.

• When the on ramp is from the left causing you to merge into the left lane, so you decide to stay there, but notice that cars that merged on the HOV behind you, using the same ramp are now passing you on the right – that’s a sign you should not be in the left lane.

• When the one and only car you passed in the right lane is now more than 5 miles behind you and there are no other cars in front of you, but you see a line of cars forming behind you – that’s a sign you should not be in the left lane.
CJ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 9:08pm
I would add

if you've been attempting to pass a bus for 5 minutes and feel you are in a bus vortex- you are in the wrong lane. Get passed it or behind it.

CJ
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 8:03am
If you were not already aware of most of the above - you should probably never drive in the left lane.
gtivr6ps View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtivr6ps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 1:05pm
It seems as of the habit of driving in the left hand lane has got much worse over the years...regardless of if people are choosing that lane because of the on/off ramp situation.

I would also add to the list:

If the little digital tree on your dashboard cannot grow anymore leaves on it - that’s a sign you should not be in the left lane.

If you can no longer hear the sound of your engine, cause you're going so slow it has switched over to just battery - that’s a sign you should not be in the left lane.
NO44 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NO44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 1:43pm
I AM SO GLAD I AM NOT THE ONLY PERSON THAT EXPERIENCES THIS! EVERY FREAKING DAY, EVERY FREAKING NIGHT. MOVEEEEEEEE!

quote:
Originally posted by Bamboo

So, I know this has been discussed before, but I thought I would have a little fun with it. This is assuming folks are not exiting from the left and is in my absolute best Jeff Foxworthy voice. [8D]

• If one car passes you in the right lane – that’s a sign you should not be in the left lane.

• If several cars pass you in the right lane – that’s a sign you should not be in the left lane.

• When there are no cars in front of you and you pass the one and only car in the right lane and realize, as you glance in your rearview mirror that there are cars lined up behind you as far as you can see – that’s a sign you should not be in the left lane.

• When the bus in the right lane is going faster then you, uphill – that’s a sign you should not be in the left lane.

• When you are happily going 55 mph in the right lane, viewing the scenery with no cars for miles around in front of you and you happen to see a car coming up in the left lane that is clearly going to pass you so you decide for some reason only known to you to get in the left lane forcing the other car to get in the right lane to pass you – that’s a sign you should not be in the left lane.

• When you decide to pace the car in the right lane and the car in the right lane starts to go a little bit faster then you causing three cars behind you to excitedly get in the right lane thinking they are finally going to be able to pass you only to find that you speed up forcing all of them to get back in the left lane in hopes that you will stop pacing the car in the right lane – that’s a sign you should not be in the left lane.

• When the on ramp is from the left causing you to merge into the left lane, so you decide to stay there, but notice that cars that merged on the HOV behind you, using the same ramp are now passing you on the right – that’s a sign you should not be in the left lane.

• When the one and only car you passed in the right lane is now more than 5 miles behind you and there are no other cars in front of you, but you see a line of cars forming behind you – that’s a sign you should not be in the left lane.

Nic
Bodybykids View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bodybykids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 1:52pm
PELE......Cant wait for your input on this.....[:)]
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 2:15pm
I was contentedly doing 75 behind someone in the left lane once and was passed by someone on the shoulder doing at least 90...

I speed, but I do so in a safe manner... The way I see it, the cars in Germany aren't that much different than ours. Once you verify that all the important bits like brakes, suspension ,tires, and steering are in good order, speed limits are just a suggestion or revenue generating opportunity for the state.

That being said, if you're at the supermarket slowly browsing the cereal aisle and someone comes up behind you to grab a box of something and move on, they usually say something like, "Excuse me, I'd like to get past."

This is usually met with little to no resistance.

Why then is it so hard on the road? Most drivers on the road are not police officers. If people want to go faster than the speed limits suggest, then let them. Someone trying to pass in a fit of road rage is far more dangerous than a general speeder... Like that guy that passed me on the shoulder.

He showered most people with the debris that normally lives on the shoulder... Dirt, trash, old tire bits. And what if he blew a tire? He'd bounce off the Jersey wall and right into traffic.

Obviously when the roadway is clogged, speeding will get you nowhere. But when you're matching speed with the car in the other lane and someone comes up behind you and would like to get by, you're being a jerk by not letting them go.

-------------------------
Times to beat:
Horner Rd to/from Pentagon: 12 mins Without Slugs - 17 mins With slugs
Dale City exit to/from 3rd St Tunnel, D.C. 18 mins (No slugs - Holiday)
ktzmom13 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktzmom13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 4:01pm
Pele - people actually say "Excuse me" in the supermarket?? I must be shopping at the wrong store. Whatever happened to civility?
CJ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 8:38pm
The difference I think is that according to VA state law the left is designated as the acceleration lane (just had a teenager that got her license so I'm pretty well versed on traffic laws), if you are not passing other trafficc, legally your butt should be in the right hand lane. Period.

CJ
smithma View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 3:18pm
And if we keep the buses from moving to the left lane (@40 MPH) 3 miles before they need to get off.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic