Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Potomac Mills reducing commuter parking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 5:55pm
A news report at http://www2.insidenova.com/news/2011/jan/13/potomac-mills-mall-reduce-commuter-parking-spaces-ar-772333/ says:
"County officials are also preparing a list of parking lots with available space, county spokesman Jason Grant said."

Appears that Mr. Grant may be your PW County POC for updates on actions being taken.
siggy14 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siggy14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 8:51am
I think someone needs to write a story how one of our biggest malls does not support being green. I can see this forcing a lot more people to start driving in if they cant get a spot which is bad for enviroment.

It is a shame that the mall puts money before the enviroment, I also think we should get a online petition going saying that if they go through with this plan that we plan on boycotting the mall.
Salty View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 10:16am
What is the peak slugging time for Potomac Mills. Does it fill up by 7:00AM?
shorty5646 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shorty5646 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 11:19am
Currently, it seems to fill by around 7:30am.

I used to park at the mall, but had to move over to Tackett's Mill when summer vacations ended and school started, due to the lack of parking.
Haze View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 11:27am
I heard about this from my co-worker today and I hate it. Like some people said on here it doesn't fill up at all during the week. By the time we all get off work is really the only time folks start coming to that particular mall and it's usually for the movies.

I'm sorry if I am ranting, but I would love to know what restaurants they are proposing, because all of them that matter are out on Prince William Parkway anyway.

That mall is terrible and I hardly ever go in there, unless it's for last minute items or COSTCO. I understand they are trying to make it a better place to shop, but all around the mall are parking spaces. Just why can't they give us some spaces around on the other side.

Cars not carrying passengers use more fuel and roads less efficiently than shared cars or public transport, and increase traffic congestion. We're all trying to reduce a major factor when it comes to global warming by commuting and driving our cars less to not contribute to air pollution and save. However, we have to deal with this now!!

This just chaps my a*s!!
Haze View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 11:31am
I agree with you Siggy completely, maybe we should boycott and get channel 5 down here.

Originally posted by siggy14
I think someone needs to write a story how one of our biggest malls does not support being green. I can see this forcing a lot more people to start driving in if they cant get a spot which is bad for enviroment.

It is a shame that the mall puts money before the enviroment, I also think we should get a online petition going saying that if they go through with this plan that we plan on boycotting the mall.
slugguru View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugguru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 12:59pm
No where to park.....means no sluggers for drivers to pick up..
I get dropped off at Potomac at least 2x per week because parking is filled at Horner and there is more traffic at Potomac. Whats gonna happen at Horner on Mondays & Fridays when parking is not usually filled up? I don't like to park at Tacketts(makes my to/from commute longer)....Tacketts may be the next spot to fill up???

The following lots in the Dale City area have significant space for more cars, PRTC officials said:
-I-95 at Va. 123
-Dale City Commuter Lot -Dale Boulevard & Gemini Way
-Lindendale Commuter Lot -Dale Boulevard & Quate Lane
-Kmart at Dale City -Dale Boulevard near Gideon
-Hillendale Commuter Lot -Hillendale Road near Dale Boulevard
VAwitch View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VAwitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 1:18pm
quote:
Originally posted by slugguru

The following lots in the Dale City area have significant space for more cars, PRTC officials said:
-I-95 at Va. 123

Of course, 3 of the 5 are in the middle of Dale City.
the i-95/123 lot has been empty for years due to poor design
and Kmart - while I knew it had commuter spaces, I can't see them being willing to fork over a marked portion of their parking lot... though in reality, Hood-Mart should, as it's not like there is a lot of shopping traffic filling it now.
jerryclapham View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerryclapham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 1:21pm
I understand Potomac Mill's position (in a way). they want to expand the Mall to make more $$. Understand. But as others have point out on this post there is plenty of room in the rear of the Mall and other lots are at capacity, except for maybe Rt123 cause no one can get to it. But the real question is where is PW county government on this? Should they have not known about this expansion and termination of parking way in advance and what are they going to do about it. Carpoolers, busriders and sluggers have been using the Mall parking lot for decades. Now all of a sudden cut 75% of the spots. CONTACT YOUR COUNTY SUPERVISOR AND THE CHAIRMAN NOW!!! ask for swift action. Here is a link to all of the contact info.
http://www.pwcgov.org/default.aspx?topic=040086000300000442

Jerry
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 1:48pm
quote:
Originally posted by slugguru

-I-95 at Va. 123

There's space for more cars in these lots because there are no transit options at these locations... You park your car there and then what? Teleport?

How do these tiny commuter lots help you get to D.C.?

Sell em back to the public and use the proceeds to turn Horner Road into a multi layer parking deck that spans the entire parking lot, then extend Metro to it... If Metro could ever get off their collective asses and build something properly for a change.

-------------------------
Times to beat:
Horner Rd to/from Pentagon: 12 mins Without Slugs - 17 mins With slugs
Dale City exit to/from 3rd St Tunnel, D.C. 18 mins (No slugs - Holiday)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
  Share Topic