Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Potomac Mills reducing commuter parking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugguru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 2:33pm
Potomac Mills is Heartless[:(] Starting this Valentines Day???? we'll all be frustrated with the commute and our loved ones will be the ones to suffer when we get home [:I] J/K lol
DEM4 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DEM4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 3:01pm
I agree with you as well, Boycott!!! I am sure we folks who work up north bring the most business to that mall anyway! There are very few good paying jobs in the county, unless you head towards DC, except Quantico and other contractors that have moved into PW County.

quote:
Originally posted by siggy14

I think someone needs to write a story how one of our biggest malls does not support being green. I can see this forcing a lot more people to start driving in if they cant get a spot which is bad for enviroment.

It is a shame that the mall puts money before the enviroment, I also think we should get a online petition going saying that if they go through with this plan that we plan on boycotting the mall.

DEM4 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DEM4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 3:08pm
Save your input PRTC official, all those other commuter lots are out of the way. Seems to me that you are looking out for your commuting business. Everyone don't take the bus! I say Boycott Potomac Mills!!
In the mean time, the race is on to Tacketts before 730am now!

quote:
Originally posted by Pele

quote:
Originally posted by slugguru

The following lots in the Dale City area have significant space for more cars, PRTC officials said:
-I-95 at Va. 123
-Dale City Commuter Lot -Dale Boulevard & Gemini Way
-Lindendale Commuter Lot -Dale Boulevard & Quate Lane
-Kmart at Dale City -Dale Boulevard near Gideon
-Hillendale Commuter Lot -Hillendale Road near Dale Boulevard

There's space for more cars in these lots because there are no transit options at these locations... You park your car there and then what? Teleport?

How do these tiny commuter lots help you get to D.C.?

Sell em back to the public and use the proceeds to turn Horner Road into a multi layer parking deck that spans the entire parking lot, then extend Metro to it... If Metro could ever get off their collective asses and build something properly for a change.

-------------------------
Times to beat:
Horner Rd to/from Pentagon: 12 mins Without Slugs - 17 mins With slugs
Dale City exit to/from 3rd St Tunnel, D.C. 18 mins (No slugs - Holiday)

CJ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 7:50pm
Just goes to show if you do something you don't have to people will eventually believe they're entitled to it. For 25 years Potomac Mills has been allowing 4x the amount of spaces it needed to for use as commuter spaces, now they want to put in some restaurants to make some money and help get the PWC economy moving and y'all want to boycott. If you want to protest- go to a PWC supervisors meeting and ask them why in the 25 years they had to create more commuter spaces they disregarded their duty.
I hope all of you that say you're going to boycott do so because then I will be able to shop there with out so many people in my way. But realistically since your mall options are in Stafford (I'm not even sure that counts as a mall), Manassas (good luck with the traffic) or Springfield (make sure you wear the proper gang colors), I doubt many of you will follow through on your threat.

CJ
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 1:15am
quote:
Originally posted by DEM4

Save your input PRTC official, all those other commuter lots are out of the way. Seems to me that you are looking out for your commuting business. Everyone don't take the bus! I say Boycott Potomac Mills!!
In the mean time, the race is on to Tacketts before 730am now!

Uhhh... What?
I don't work for PRTC.

As I said before... I think those small lots in the middle of Dale City need to be gotten rid of.

They need to add more spaces to Horner Rd.

How does any of that support PRTC?

-------------------------
Times to beat:
Horner Rd to/from Pentagon: 12 mins Without Slugs - 17 mins With slugs
Dale City exit to/from 3rd St Tunnel, D.C. 18 mins (No slugs - Holiday)
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 10:18am
I received this email from the Occoquan District Supervisor. Just for the record he is long time Slug himself and a great support of Slugging.

Thank you for your email regarding Potomac Mills' decision to reduce the number of commuter spaces. Unfortunately, I do not really have too much more information than what is provided in the article.

The long and short of the situation is that as part of the original rezoning for the Potomac Mills property, they proferred to provide 275 spaces for commuter parking purposes. Over the years, they have been generous in providing closer to 1,000. They have not been legally obligated to provide those additional spaces, but it has probably provided some ancillary benefit to the mall as commuters stop in to eat and/or make purchases following their commutes.

Recently, the mall decided to add some new tenants and feels the need to reclaim those 725 or so spaces for retail purposes. It is disappointing from a commuter perspective, but the mall is only legally obligated to provide 275 spaces as set out in their proffers and intends to honor this obligation. As such, there is nothing the county can do to prevent Potomac Mills from making this business decision.

This is not to say the county will not do anything at all. On the contrary, we have been aware that this might be possibility for a while and we have been planning to try to expand commuter capacity in other areas. The most notable example of this is our recent efforts to begin planning and design of the expanded Horner Road lot. We still need to identify additional funds to get to construction as quickly as possible, and we will be looking for opportunities to do so in the upcoming budget, as well as working with our state legislative delegation in Richmond to try to identify state funds. We are also aggressively pursuing grant opportunities where possible, and looking at any other funding opportunities that may be out there. (** He sent me a follow-up email that said they have some funding but not enough to complete the expansion **)

In the meantime, as you know there are some lots that are currently under capacity such as the 123 lot (the one on the east side of 95). It is our hope that perhaps some of those lots can get some additional use while we work on the longer terms solution of expanded Horner.

Again, thank you for your email. I hope the foregoing information is useful to you. Should you have any additional questions, please let me know.

-Mike
Occoquan District Supervisor
Checkers View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Checkers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 11:16pm
Word has it that Potomac Mills is reducing commuter parking spaces to make way for proposed eateries -- fast food, of course -- and chain sitdown restaurants -- so the tired shopper won't leave after a "good" meal, and go forth and spend some more looking for the elusive bargain suggested by the word "Outlet".

Interesting reading below --

Potomac Mills Owner Proposes Upscale Mall
By Nikita Stewart
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, March 12, 2005; Page B02
The owner of Potomac Mills, the region's mecca of discount shopping, wants to develop a high-end retail mall nearby that would be surrounded by luxury lofts and sidewalk cafes to meet the demands of Prince William County's burgeoning group of well-heeled residents, officials said yesterday.
The company that helped define the county as the place to go for cheap clothes now says it's time to make a change, or at least "complement" the outlet mall with an alternative for upscale shoppers, said Ramsey Meiser, group vice president of development for Arlington-based Mills Corp.
"The changing demographics of the county, the growth, the average income justifies this kind of retail," Meiser said yesterday.
The proposed project, which would be called Potomac Center, follows a succession of announcements of upscale retailers, such as the Harris Teeter grocery chain and a Jaguar dealership, setting up shop in the county, which has long played second fiddle to its neighbors to the north. The county is also developing its first luxury hotel, a conference center and a $56 million performing arts center that would be modeled after the famous La Scala opera house in Milan.
The county's recent focus on developing single-family homes that are selling for as much as $1 million, instead of the cheaper townhouses that shaped its inferior image in the 1980s and '90s, has increased the need for more expensive retail, said Supervisor Martin E. Nohe (R-Coles).
The county's population has jumped to 332,555 from 280,813 in 2000, and in the same period, the median household income increased to $83,000 from about $66,000, according to recent U.S. Census Bureau figures.
"Then we tell people who are living in those big homes with the high-paying jobs to go to Tysons Corner to buy shoes," Nohe said, referring to the Fairfax County mall whose anchor stores include Nordstrom and Bloomingdale's.
Mills Corp. is proud of Potomac Mills, which was built in 1985 as the first in a chain of 18 outlet malls across the country and is one of Virginia's biggest tourist attractions. But Prince William needs more, Meiser said.
While visitors flock to Potomac Mills, a survey the company conducted showed that residents travel to Tysons Corner Center, Pentagon City in Arlington and Fair Oaks Mall in Fairfax to shop. "We've talked to people who say that's inconvenient," Meiser said.
Meiser said he could not reveal which retailers could serve as anchors for the project but said the company is in talks with two or three "full-price, high-end" stores.
At a meeting Tuesday, the Board of County Supervisors will consider whether to allow Mills Corp. to continue developing its plan. The 95-acre tract that the company wants to develop is zoned for commercial use and is pegged for office space in a master plan for the area.
The land, just east of Interstate 95 and south of Opitz Boulevard, could be better utilized as a mixed-use development that Mills Corp. is calling a "lifestyle center," Meiser said.
Potomac Mills is nearby, on the other side of I-95.
"Offices and loft apartments overlook the street below where fashionable shops, bookstores, restaurants and sidewalk cafes open to the tree-lined main street," the proposal reads. More multi-level apartments would be "nestled in wooded areas," which would give the project a total of 433 units, according to the proposal. In all, there would be 650,000 square feet of retail and 200,000 square feet in office space. Potomac Mills is 1.25 million square feet.
Mills Corp. is not alone in the venture. Lerner Enterprises, the Bethesda-based developer behind Tysons Corner and Dulles Town Center, would be its partner.
The two companies are trying to nurture a business relationship and see the Potomac Center as a way to develop that connection, Meiser said.

jpdion View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpdion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 1:06pm
I pick up slugs every morning from Potomac Mills or Horner Road. Cutting spaces by 700 potentially adds another 1000 or more cars to the regular lanes, further clogging the already lousy I-95 commute. The pressure and competition for parking spaces and slugs at Horner is going to be ugly. I like the flexibility of slugging, but I think forming a regular carpool might be one answer.

Anybody want to form a regular carpool with me and my wife going to the USDOE-FAA-HUD-GSA-Smithsonian area? We live near Neabsco and Rte. 1. Email me at jpdion@verizon.net
bcostello View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcostello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 10:15am
I am not sure why they are closing in February. Have they even submitted site plans for the site work? I can't imagine that this work is going to proceed this soon. Can't they phase out the parking spaces?

BCC
nice-one View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nice-one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 11:28am
Even though I like PW County. I am starting to notice with trying to commute and traffic its not worth it. Fortunately, I am moving closer into DC metro area so I can be accessible to more public transportation. Tackett Mills does fill by 8:30 and with more people now its going to get worse.

BTW I notice people from Stafford and Fredericksburg come up and slug from Potomac. Those cities have commute lots why are the people not using them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
  Share Topic