Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Potomac Mills reducing commuter parking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slug123456789 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 1:02pm
quote:
Originally posted by KennyP

Tick Tick Tick Tick. Time is ticking away for the powers that be to make a decision. Kmart would work, but there are no PRTC buses that go to that location. So, if you, by any chance can't get a slug ride, you are outta luck. As for Potomac Mills (PM) and stated by Geronimo, "With all this land, why is there no room for the Apache". Why can't PM allow parking in another part of the mall until, they and the County can come up with a viable solution to this problem. We all know that PM is a business and those of you that keep stating that during this forum, WE KNOW ALREADY. But PM needs to look at the big picture. This drastic move will cause hardship to the entire Prince William County community. We are asking for a little compassion. We are asking that you empathize with our situation as a whole, not just the slugging community. Allow us to move to the back of PM somewhere. Your choice, but don't permit this hardship on this community. Whether the powers that be admit it or not, this drastic change not only hurts the slugging community, it hurts all that commute by other means. Our roads, buses, and the like will definitely be affected. Our PWC officials need to get it together. Time is definitely ticking away.

Exactly.
jerryclapham View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerryclapham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 2:11pm
Kenny P. You are absoultly correct. Maybe VDOT/PWC should just pay PM a couple of bucks to lets us park in the back of the Mall. It would be cheaper all around.

Jerry
cindileett View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cindileett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 6:44pm
We need to be organized about this. PM management has apparently forgotten that they are members of this community, too. There is a long history in this coutry of businesses doing more than they are legally required to, in order to be good corporate "citizens" of their communities. Here's what we need to do:

• Pledge to boycott any business that is built on or contiguous to the former commuter spaces, and ask your BOS rep to inform any businesses seeking permits for this area of this boycott pledge
• Inform all existing Potomac Mills area businesses that you frequent, that you will start frequenting businesses closer to the area where you will now be parking,
• Ask your friends and family members to join you in a community-wide boycott of all Potomac Mills shops and restaurants on VALENTINE'S DAY 2011, and
• Pass this information on to every Woodbridge Area slug and rider you come in contact with, including riders now parking after 7:30 a.m. at the Tacketts lot, as this affects them, too.

I have been handing out sample letters (addressed to PM Management with cc to the owners) and lists of PM businesses to all my riders for the past week and a half. On February 1, unless we hear about an alternate plan for commuters from PM management, I will start handing out fliers proposing a community-wide boycott of Potomac Mills on February 14, 2011. We need to show mall management that we are customers, too and that the entire Woodbridge community is incensed at the hardship PM management is imposing on members of this community.
bmfw930 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmfw930 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 9:06pm
Expanding the Mall will creater more gridlock especially on the weekends. And going green mustbe the forefrontbefore expanding. Why are they not enough buses (Omnilink) for weekend travel to leave the cars home and why do the buses not run on Sundays.Maybe if PRC thought about this, that can get more people on the buses to shop and eat instead of driving or being forced to stay home on SUNDAYS!!!!!!!!!!! Businesses can fare better with connections from other parts of Virvinia and nearby counties. Why can there be a bus link (connecting the counties) to Lorton (Fairfax Connector) buses?
How about expnading Metro bus to the Mall and the rail to VRE?!

New to Va.
tullylo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullylo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 10:53am
This is a response to an email I sent to Frank Principi. Please Everyone ATTEND THE TOWN HALL MEETING!!!!

What I don't know and want to find out is if Simon Malls and VDOT and/or PWC are in negotiations for lease revenue of this parking lot. If not THEY NEED TO BE until a permanent solution is found. This is a disaster waiting to happen.

Thank you for your email concerning the commuter parking situation at Potomac Mills. This is an unfortunate situation, as I know these parking spaces are very convenient for many commuters. Residents rely on these parking spaces in order to use slug lines to get to work everyday.

County Supervisor, Michael May and I have created a small workgroup to find solutions to this problem. We held a meeting with VDOT and county staff this week to address the need for more parking spaces. I assure you that this issue is not something I plan on sweeping under the rug and forgetting about. Supervisor May and I will be hosting a town hall meeting on February 8, at the Ferlozzo building auditorium at 7 pm.In the meantime, there are several lots in the county that are not close to full capacity. Replacing the Potomac Mills spaces with these lots is not ideal, but I assure you that we will look at other options to remedy this situation. You may view the entire list of commuter lots on the PRTC’s website at http://www.prtctransit.org/myprtc/service-updates/service_updates.php?docid=265.

Thanks again for taking the time to email me. I love hearing from my constituents and finding out what is on their minds. If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to call me at (703) 792-4646.

Sincerely, Frank J. Principi

jerryclapham View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerryclapham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 1:01pm
Great idea. we need to keep reminding peope to attend this meeting and put presure on our elected officals. Also it would be great to get someone from the state government there as well. Maybe even VDOT.

Jerry
PeterFree View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterFree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 8:57am
quote:
Originally posted by ranajee

quote:
Originally posted by PeterFree

The mall is not going to change for you, and your suggestion to add additional parking spaces is about as far in left field as you can imagine.....The mall only has to provide 275 spaces. Call your board of supervisor and complain to him, from what I understand, they have known for years that this would happen and did nothing. Don't blame the mall they are a business, and by adding more retail and restaurants only means more taxes. You use the mall lot on a daily basis and probably don't shop after work, so your boycott really doesn't matter.....

True ...
But, it's always good to try and do your best and that's what we all should do.

You only have 1 post, looks like you work for mall management !!!!!

Adnan

Boycott View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boycott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 9:38am
Let's Boycott Potomac Mills. Then we can Boycott Target, Best Buy, Babies R Us & Bed Bath and Beyond, Prince William County Schools (specifically Garfield and any school near 95), Potomac Hospital, All the restaurants near 95 corridor, all the rest stops along 95, A couple apartment complexes near 95 and PWCPW, Marumsco Shopping center, Potomac Festival, and Prince William County as a whole.

For all of you that are into boycotting private properties, did I leave anything out that your wanting to boycott simply because of the location being private property? Lastly, let's Boycott the constitution and not allow people to own private property.

tullylo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullylo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 2:56pm
quote:
Originally posted by Boycott

Let's Boycott Potomac Mills. Then we can Boycott Target, Best Buy, Babies R Us & Bed Bath and Beyond, Prince William County Schools (specifically Garfield and any school near 95), Potomac Hospital, All the restaurants near 95 corridor, all the rest stops along 95, A couple apartment complexes near 95 and PWCPW, Marumsco Shopping center, Potomac Festival, and Prince William County as a whole.

For all of you that are into boycotting private properties, did I leave anything out that your wanting to boycott simply because of the location being private property? Lastly, let's Boycott the constitution and not allow people to own private property.

I don't think any of us WANT to boycott private property. What we WANT is a logical reason why Simon Malls feels that 30 days notice is reasonable, in particular, when their own card, distributed to the slugs, says that they are "exploring opportunities" for new mall businesses. If Simon Malls is using the slugs to help them put pressure on either VDOT or PWC to get revenue for allowing parking, just tell us (that would be a logical reason for 30 days notice). We can help by applying pressure in that direction.

To Simon Malls:

Tell us why you think 30 days is a reasonable amount of notice. You are a part of the Prince William County community. Why would a member of the community cause such an uproar? You must have known that this would have a tremendous impact on the community you are a part of. If not, you need to replace your management team. If so, then you have no heart by only providing a 30 day notice.

Boycott away citizens of PWC.

Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 8:38am
I have created a new thread for solutions to the Potomac Mills commuter parking reduction. Please use the thread below (Potomac Mills Solutions - Let's Get Organized) if you have recommendations or suggestions new slugging locations.

http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12579
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
  Share Topic