Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NEW - Two Options for Potomac Mills Slugs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fall_Line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 11:59am
I work downtown and live in Montclair. Currently I slug from Tacketts to Rosslyn and metro the rest of the way (that's the best option given my usual lot arrival time of 7:45-8:00). I suspect the Tacketts lot will fill very early starting Monday.

Thank you for presenting Options. I prefer Option 1, as I would like to see greater utilization of the Gemini Lot. However, I would suggest that the Gemini Lot cover downtown riders instead of Crystal/Rosslyn/Pentagon. My rationale for this suggestion is that current bus PM capacity to Gemini from Rosslyn is insufficient to cover slugs who may be "trapped" at Rosslyn in the evenings.

I liked the suggestion above that Potomac Mills become "Pentagon-only." My suggestion for Crystal/Rosslyn overflow riders & drivers is to begin using the Harbor Drive lot at the intersection of Telegraph and Minnieville. That is a very short drive from Tackett's, and actually a bit more convenient for drivers using the Horner Road exit to avoid 123 traffic. I would also like to see the county investigate the status of the "Tackett's Village" property right next to the Tackett's lot. It appears to be a beautiful and completely unused parking lot, and the property is for sale.

There is of course some un-utilized capacity for downtown slugs to park at the "Hechingers" lot (and I've been doing this long enough to remember the Hechingers building there). Though coming from Montclair, this lot, and the 123 lot (as profiled in Option 2) are a last resort for me.

For myself, I am planning to the Gemini lot a try Monday morning; I'll take a a ride to where-ever, or catch the Bus if need be. I very much hope drivers will start to make that lot an option.

-Aimee
siggy14 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siggy14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 12:12pm
Option 1.
Cplace View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cplace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 12:34pm
Option 1 works best for me. I live in Montclair and drive folks to the Pentagon. As a driver I wouldn't go to 123. Also as folks have mentioned a lot of people go to the Pentagon, that'll be more traffic on 95 and old bridge trying to get to that lot. I feel if anyone is moved to 123 it should be a smaller group only because that's less cars having to work their way up there. Only downside it's out of the way for drivers so if they get there and there are no slugs they are SOL.

I noticed the K-mart lot was left out will that be left for over-flow then? Anyways Dale City commuter lot works fine for me. Just need to know if the lines will be split up and designated to different areas in the lot. Kudos for coming up with a plan, since the county wasn't much help.
xhawk View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 12:48pm
I just got an email from the Fairfax Connector saying that the Park and Rides in the South and East may fill up quickly because of the decision to reduce the spaces at Potomac Mills.

Evergreen View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evergreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 1:23pm
VDOT and Tom Blaser from PW County must ensure that something be done about more police patrol around the Dale City commuter lot (Gemini Way), along with poor lighting already in existence. Take note before sunrise and after dark as to how dimly lit that lot currently is. I'd be concerned for women having to walk through that lot. Right now there are only TWO stationery overhead lights supporting that lot - NOT ENOUGH LIGHTS. I can't help but notice smashed glass in that lot on a weekly basis. As bad as it is having to worry about where to park now, none of us need the extra worry about returning to a vandalized vehicle.
ghanna View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghanna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 1:43pm
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

Slugs and Drives,
As a result of the Town Hall meeting on February 9th, a number of slugs asked that I take a more active role resolving the Potomac Mills problems. As I stated at the meeting, I try to let the system regulate itself with the slugs/drivers making the decisions. However, this change came with so little warning and will impact so many people, that we need to come together quickly. This is what I propose:

- collect input/comments from the two options below
- make a decision by Saturday morning
- notify slugs of the new location on Saturday via this website, the Slug Newsletter, and hopefully some media coverage
- On Monday, flyers will be distributed to those entering the lot of the changes. Many will be completely unaware and frustrated.
- The flyer will be available for download from this site
- I would ask that slugs/drivers help communicate the changes

Two options for the Potomac Mills slug lines:

Option #1 (3.5 miles - 8 minutes from Potomac)
1) 14th/18th/L'Enfant Street line - remains at Potomac Mills
2) Crystal City/Rosslyn lines - relocates to Dale City Commuter Lot
3) Pentagon Line - relocates to Dale City Commuter Lot
Link to directions from Potomac:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=14362+Gideon+Drive,+Woodbridge,+VA&daddr=Minnieville+Rd+%26+Gemini+Way,+Dale+City,+VA+22193&hl=en&geocode=FTWaTQId05Fk-ymbG3hfDla2iTH_upq01-j2ZA%3BFT2tTQIdreRj-w&mra=ls&sll=38.645053,-77.339475&sspn=0.006469,0.013046&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=14

OmniRide Bus Schedules to this lot (Washington):
http://prtctransit.org/commuter-bus/pdf/Dale-Washington.pdf
Pentagon Slugs:
http://prtctransit.org/commuter-bus/pdf/Dale-CC.pdf

********** or *************

Option #2 (4.8 miles - 7 minutes from Potomac)
1) 14th/18th/L'Enfant Street line - remains at Potomac Mills
2) Crystal City/Rosslyn lines - relocates to I-95 at Va. 123
3) Pentagon Line - relocates to I-95 at Va. 123
Driving direction/map:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=14362+Gideon+Drive,+Woodbridge,+VA&daddr=Gordon+Blvd+%26+Annapolis+Way,+Woodbridge,+Prince+William,+Virginia+22191&hl=en&geocode=FTWaTQId05Fk-ymbG3hfDla2iTH_upq01-j2ZA%3BFa34TQIdfkBl-ylLYpjtUlS2iTF3933Na1P6dA&mra=ls&sll=38.667183,-77.250645&sspn=0.006417,0.013046&g=Gordon+Blvd+%26+Annapolis+Way,+Woodbridge,+Prince+William,+Virginia+22191&ie=UTF8&ll=38.646774,-77.271309&spn=0.061538,0.110035&t=h&z=13

Omniride Bus:
http://prtctransit.org/commuter-bus/pdf/LakeRidge-CC.pdf

Rational on these options:
- with only 250 spaces at Potomac Mills, it will accomodate only one slug lines (to include carpools/vanpools/bus riders).
- Keeping the Pentagon and the Crystal City/Rosslyn lines at the same location gives slugs/drivers a choice if one destination isn't available. At times I will slug to the Pentagon if Crystal City drivers aren't available.
- both commuter lots have bus service
- the other commuter lots are either at capacity already or too small to accomodate slugging effectively

There is no "silver bullet" that works for everybody. Any option will inconvenience some and disrupts our normal commute. However, we can make this work if we come together. But we must come together.

soldierguardian View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soldierguardian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 2:00pm

I concur with keeping the Pentagon Slug line at Potomac Mills.

quote:
Originally posted by wkdrns01

The majority of the sluggers are going to the pentagon.
I think Pentagon Line should stay at Potomac and move the other lines to different location.

-soldierguardian

soldierguardian View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soldierguardian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 2:10pm
Why can't the abandoned parking lot at Minnieville and Harbor Dr (adjacent to telegraph Rd; near the Tackett's lot)? I estimate that there are around 250 spots there...
dwyorkster View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwyorkster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 2:34pm
The news stories have indicated that the county was in discussion with PTRC and other private properties near Potomac Mills to come up with other options. I understand one of those discussions is with First Baptist Church (at Minnieville and PW Parkway) where they have a large parking lot. A decision is expected in the next few/several days, but, of course, the county's discussions did not really begin soon enough to get everything in place by Monday. Just FYI in case that's a potential game-changer in the next several days/weeks.
Brenfromva View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brenfromva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 2:41pm
I am a driver only and pick up now at the PM lot. I used to go to the old Hechingers lot, but got tired of fighting the traffic on Minnieville/Old Bridge before I even got on 95. I am for the 18th street slugline to either stay at PM if there will still be spaces available after 7:30, or at any of the lots off of Dale Boulevard. I just need to know where to go Monday morning, so I along with countless others aren't driving from lot to lot trying to find warm bodies to take to DC[:D]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>
  Share Topic