Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NEW - Two Options for Potomac Mills Slugs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NEW - Two Options for Potomac Mills Slugs
    Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 6:35am
*****UPDATE TO THREAD ** Option #1 was Selected *****
1) 14th/18th/L'Enfant Street line - remains at Potomac Mills
2) Crystal City/Rosslyn lines - relocates to Dale City Commuter Lot
3) Pentagon Line - relocates to Dale City Commuter Lot

PLEASE HELP SPREAD THE WORD

VOLUNTEERS NEEDED TO HAD OUT FLYERS!!! Even if you spend 10 minutes handing this out it helps! You don't need to volunteer all day!

http://www.slug-lines.com/downloads/DaleCityFlyer.pdf

***** END OF UPDATE ********

Slugs and Drives,
As a result of the Town Hall meeting on February 9th, a number of slugs asked that I take a more active role resolving the Potomac Mills problems. As I stated at the meeting, I try to let the system regulate itself with the slugs/drivers making the decisions. However, this change came with so little warning and will impact so many people, that we need to come together quickly. This is what I propose:

- collect input/comments from the two options below
- make a decision by Saturday morning
- notify slugs of the new location on Saturday via this website, the Slug Newsletter, and hopefully some media coverage
- On Monday, flyers will be distributed to those entering the lot of the changes. Many will be completely unaware and frustrated.
- The flyer will be available for download from this site
- I would ask that slugs/drivers help communicate the changes

Two options for the Potomac Mills slug lines:

Option #1 (3.5 miles - 8 minutes from Potomac)
2) Crystal City/Rosslyn lines - relocates to Dale City Commuter Lot
3) Pentagon Line - relocates to Dale City Commuter Lot
Link to directions from Potomac:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=14362+Gideon+Drive,+Woodbridge,+VA&daddr=Minnieville+Rd+%26+Gemini+Way,+Dale+City,+VA+22193&hl=en&geocode=FTWaTQId05Fk-ymbG3hfDla2iTH_upq01-j2ZA%3BFT2tTQIdreRj-w&mra=ls&sll=38.645053,-77.339475&sspn=0.006469,0.013046&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=14

OmniRide Bus Schedules to this lot (Washington):
http://prtctransit.org/commuter-bus/pdf/Dale-Washington.pdf
Pentagon Slugs:
http://prtctransit.org/commuter-bus/pdf/Dale-CC.pdf

********** or *************

Option #2 (4.8 miles - 7 minutes from Potomac)
2) Crystal City/Rosslyn lines - relocates to I-95 at Va. 123
3) Pentagon Line - relocates to I-95 at Va. 123
Driving direction/map:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=14362+Gideon+Drive,+Woodbridge,+VA&daddr=Gordon+Blvd+%26+Annapolis+Way,+Woodbridge,+Prince+William,+Virginia+22191&hl=en&geocode=FTWaTQId05Fk-ymbG3hfDla2iTH_upq01-j2ZA%3BFa34TQIdfkBl-ylLYpjtUlS2iTF3933Na1P6dA&mra=ls&sll=38.667183,-77.250645&sspn=0.006417,0.013046&g=Gordon+Blvd+%26+Annapolis+Way,+Woodbridge,+Prince+William,+Virginia+22191&ie=UTF8&ll=38.646774,-77.271309&spn=0.061538,0.110035&t=h&z=13

Omniride Bus:
http://prtctransit.org/commuter-bus/pdf/LakeRidge-CC.pdf

Rational on these options:
- with only 250 spaces at Potomac Mills, it will accomodate only one slug lines (to include carpools/vanpools/bus riders).
- Keeping the Pentagon and the Crystal City/Rosslyn lines at the same location gives slugs/drivers a choice if one destination isn't available. At times I will slug to the Pentagon if Crystal City drivers aren't available.
- both commuter lots have bus service
- the other commuter lots are either at capacity already or too small to accomodate slugging effectively

There is no "silver bullet" that works for everybody. Any option will inconvenience some and disrupts our normal commute. However, we can make this work if we come together. But we must come together.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 8:02am
Option 1 is best, for Rosslyn etc to use the Dale City lot, not 123. However, it is urgent that for the coming weeks, slugs must have a bus backup to get back to the Dale City lot if they can only get to Potomac in the afternoon. I dont think the pickups in the pm are going to be there for the Dale City lot. Is it still possible to jump on a Commuteride at Potomac in the afternoon and pay a buck to get to the Dale City lot? Will the buses have capacity for this? Lacking this, the Dale City lot is not viable.
wkdrns01 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wkdrns01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 8:34am
The majority of the sluggers are going to the pentagon.
I think Pentagon Line should stay at Potomac and move the other lines to different location.
This is a mess. I think the local government with businesses should talk to resolve this problem. How about Strayer University parking lot in Potomac? Can commuters park there?
dburkart View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dburkart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 8:53am
I work in Rosslyn and could use the Dale City commuter lot -- if organized we could get a ride home. Otherwise I am going to try Kmart on Monday morning since majority of people thought that to be a good location.
siggy14 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siggy14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 9:24am
I goto 18th/state department, As Dale City is closer to me, i am a little worried about leaving my car there if you were to move my line there. Have we talked to PW Police about doing more patrols?

I, dont know the numbers, but I do know alot of people that go to 18th/state department that will jump on the rosslyn line if not much is happening on their line. So maybe a good idea to keep those two lines together.
fed up View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 9:38am
I work on Capitol Hill and pick up slugs for L'Efant because 14th Street has become so congested that it adds over 20 minutes to my morning commute. I would suggest that L'Efant be at both Pot Mills for the early birds and also at 123 (or Hechingers) for those that start work after 8:00.

Pentagon lately has become so backed up in the mornings that it is overflowing onto the regular lanes causing traffic to back up on the HOV lanes at Shirlington and sometimes even further south. Is there any way that this back up into the Pentagon could be addressed? One solution in my mind which would remove more vehicles from the ramp waiting to go through the stop sign as you enter the Pentagon parking lot is to make everyone turn right and follow the road around as if you were picking up slugs for the evening ride. This would take more of the traffic off the ramp and the HOV lanes. Just my two cents worth.

Thank you for taking charge of this. I believe that there are a number of individuals that just want someone to say if you need this location then you need to go here.

quote:
Originally posted by siggy14

I goto 18th/state department, As Dale City is closer to me, i am a little worried about leaving my car there if you were to move my line there. Have we talked to PW Police about doing more patrols?

I, dont know the numbers, but I do know alot of people that go to 18th/state department that will jump on the rosslyn line if not much is happening on their line. So maybe a good idea to keep those two lines together.

ktzmom13 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktzmom13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 10:31am
I don't go in until later as I have to get my kids off to school first; there's no way I'd get a space at Potomac Mills at 8:30 a.m. I'd rather have 14th/18th Street/L'Enfant slugs at Dale City Commuter lot - keep Pentagon at Potomac Mills.
omola9 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omola9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 10:46am
Option 1 would be the best for me. I can then catch the bus from Rosslyn in the evening.

OTA
chessie View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chessie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 10:47am
I am fine with both options. Since there will be only 250 spaces now on at Potomac Mills, but 555 spaces Dale City lot, it gives more capacity for Pentagon Riders with more spaces. I also support the opinion that we need to urge the local law enforcement to secure the Dale City lot as safer and more reliable. Nobody wants to find there car with broken windows.
shorty5646 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shorty5646 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 10:49am
Based on the options provided, I would prefer Option #1 - however, even though I'd prefer to go directly to L'Enfant Plaza, Potomac Mills still will not be an option for anyone after a certain time. With only 275 spaces, I can only imagine that slugging will not be available there after 7am, if that late.

However, I suppose having the option to go from the Dale City lot to the Pentagon would be better for me, personally.

I just don't think either option will really help those actually going into DC, considering how much less space will be available at Potomac Mills. In my opinion, we will probably need more options in more locations. The 123 lot just doesn't work for everyone in Woodbridge, depending on where you live!

All that said - thank you so much for stepping up and helping us coordinate these changes. I don't think we could do it alone!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
  Share Topic