Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Solution To Old Hechinger's Filling Up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
snlfam View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snlfam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 4:44pm
I have gotten rides to 14th street from 123 five times in the last week and a half (the other 2 times, Hechinger's still had legal parking spots). I have been using it as a "overflow" lot from Old Hechinger's. I have even taken the time to temporarily stop at Hechinger's and send cars to the 123 lot. There have been small lines of slug riders developing at 123(best on Tuesdays-Thursdays), now if we can just get the word out to everyone. I asked the county if they could post a sign, and they said "NO". I think I may start "littering" and posting some signs at the Hechinger's lot for both drivers and riders.

Additionally, I plan to make a big push for 123 return trips in the evening from the new New York Ave stop in DC starting Monday.

We can make this work... but it may require a little work on our part.

[:)]A special call-out thanks to the woman who was directing overflow sluggers to 123 the other day![:D][8)]
Lisaerei View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisaerei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 10:00pm
quote:
Originally posted by southbridgemom

quote:
Originally posted by Lisaerei

I've taken the bus from 95/123 many times, and I would also say about half the folks on the bus get off at the pentagon. The parking lot is also underused, and I could definitely see at least a Pentagon slug-line there.

Today, there were some drivers from Horner Rd. that came to the OH lot to pick people up and were going to L'enfant - Adding L'enfant at OH and Pentagon line at 95/123 may work well.

How would we go about getting it started? I know some of the bus riders might be skeptical at first, but I'm sure some people would be open to getting picked up and given a ride to the Pentagon and/or L'Enfant.

I know of at least one person (hubby)who would ride from 95/123 to the Pentagon (and back), leaving between 0645-0730 in the AM. Hope a PNT slug line can get started there!

southbridgemom View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southbridgemom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 9:32pm
quote:
Originally posted by Lisaerei

I've taken the bus from 95/123 many times, and I would also say about half the folks on the bus get off at the pentagon. The parking lot is also underused, and I could definitely see at least a Pentagon slug-line there.

Today, there were some drivers from Horner Rd. that came to the OH lot to pick people up and were going to L'enfant - Adding L'enfant at OH and Pentagon line at 95/123 may work well.

I know of at least one person (hubby)who would ride from 95/123 to the Pentagon (and back), leaving between 0645-0730 in the AM. Hope a PNT slug line can get started there!
Boo123 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boo123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 6:11pm
I am all in favor of at least a Pentagon slug line at 123. There is a large gap between bus service there to DC (8:17am bus and the next and final is at 9:02am). Slugging could easily fill up that gap.

Maybe both the Gemini and 123 lots could turn into the later morning lots (say 8am and later). I don't know if much slugging is happening at Gemini. I get the feeling everyone is just getting on the bus. I know I am.

Perhaps signs could be put up in the other lots that fill earlier that Pentagon, etc. slugging is available at Gemini and 123 later in the morning. If we make it so.
Lisaerei View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisaerei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 9:30am

southbridgemom View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southbridgemom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2011 at 11:36am
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Burden

Good point. To make it work, drivers should be willing to go to 95/123 if they pick up for OH. I regularly drive to OH in the afternoon. I would be happy to take slugs to 95/123 and/or OH. I would go to 95/123 first, then OH.

Jack,
I am going to talk to my hubby (who rides PRTC from 95/123 to PNT, now that Horner isn't viable for him to bus/slug after 6:45). He tells me at least 10-12 folks get on PRTC for the PNT between 6:30-7:30 daily, and at least 40% of them get off at PNT. He tells me about 40-50% of the entire bus gets off at the PNT each day. I for one think there's an untapped gold mine of folks at 95/123 that would go for a PNT slug line there. The trick would be to get drivers to agree to go there.

Give me until late next week (w/the Presidents Day holiday) to see what (if anything) I can find out. I for one have a hard time seeing what the problem is with that lot. The access isn't as bad as others have made it out to be. I lived in that area from 89-02, before moving south.
Jack Burden View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack Burden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 3:21pm
Good point. To make it work, drivers should be willing to go to 95/123 if they pick up for OH. I regularly drive to OH in the afternoon. I would be happy to take slugs to 95/123 and/or OH. I would go to 95/123 first, then OH.
solarcells View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solarcells Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 8:10pm
The problem with 95/123 is getting home in the afternoon, it is bus or bust. Yes, one way slugging is better than nothing but it is not an ideal long term solution.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 7:35pm
The slugs should take the lead on starting a slug line at 123. Just DO IT!! For those who normally go around 8 or later at OH, just go on over to 123 and stand there with a sign to your destination. What is the worst that can happen? You have to catch the bus, possiby home also. Not so bad really. Eventually it is a NEW SLUG LINE!!!!
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 4:59pm
I agree with both points!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic