Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Solution To Old Hechinger's Filling Up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southbridgemom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 9:32pm
quote:
Originally posted by Lisaerei

I've taken the bus from 95/123 many times, and I would also say about half the folks on the bus get off at the pentagon. The parking lot is also underused, and I could definitely see at least a Pentagon slug-line there.

Today, there were some drivers from Horner Rd. that came to the OH lot to pick people up and were going to L'enfant - Adding L'enfant at OH and Pentagon line at 95/123 may work well.

I know of at least one person (hubby)who would ride from 95/123 to the Pentagon (and back), leaving between 0645-0730 in the AM. Hope a PNT slug line can get started there!
Lisaerei View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisaerei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 10:00pm
quote:
Originally posted by southbridgemom

quote:
Originally posted by Lisaerei

I've taken the bus from 95/123 many times, and I would also say about half the folks on the bus get off at the pentagon. The parking lot is also underused, and I could definitely see at least a Pentagon slug-line there.

Today, there were some drivers from Horner Rd. that came to the OH lot to pick people up and were going to L'enfant - Adding L'enfant at OH and Pentagon line at 95/123 may work well.

How would we go about getting it started? I know some of the bus riders might be skeptical at first, but I'm sure some people would be open to getting picked up and given a ride to the Pentagon and/or L'Enfant.

I know of at least one person (hubby)who would ride from 95/123 to the Pentagon (and back), leaving between 0645-0730 in the AM. Hope a PNT slug line can get started there!

snlfam View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snlfam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 4:44pm
I have gotten rides to 14th street from 123 five times in the last week and a half (the other 2 times, Hechinger's still had legal parking spots). I have been using it as a "overflow" lot from Old Hechinger's. I have even taken the time to temporarily stop at Hechinger's and send cars to the 123 lot. There have been small lines of slug riders developing at 123(best on Tuesdays-Thursdays), now if we can just get the word out to everyone. I asked the county if they could post a sign, and they said "NO". I think I may start "littering" and posting some signs at the Hechinger's lot for both drivers and riders.

Additionally, I plan to make a big push for 123 return trips in the evening from the new New York Ave stop in DC starting Monday.

We can make this work... but it may require a little work on our part.

[:)]A special call-out thanks to the woman who was directing overflow sluggers to 123 the other day![:D][8)]
Lisaerei View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisaerei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 7:08pm
What can I do to help get the word out? I can walk to OH, but sometimes prefer 95/123. Today I got to OH later (815 or so I think) and I was able to hop in a car to 14th - I saw a good five cars there waiting, I didn't even think about mentioning overflow to 123 to pick folks up.
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 7:56pm
I can help organize a new line at the 123 lot if that is what slugs want. It makes sense to start using that lot for maybe both downtown (14th/18th/L'Enfant) and maybe one for the Pentagon.

What do you think?
southbridgemom View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southbridgemom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 8:25pm
Hubby said he would talk to folks at the bus stop for the PNT at the 123 lot. He will gauge interest and I'll report back ASAP.

A line from 123 to the PNT early AM (before 7:30) would certainly make life a bit easier for our family, that's for sure.

Thanks! [:)]
Lisaerei View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisaerei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 12:00am
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

I can help organize a new line at the 123 lot if that is what slugs want. It makes sense to start using that lot for maybe both downtown (14th/18th/L'Enfant) and maybe one for the Pentagon.

What do you think?

Totally for this. I will likely take the bus back in the afternoon, but what would be the option for a return slug trip?
Boo123 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boo123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 10:56am
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

What do you think?

Yes. If slugging is established in this lot, maybe stage one combo line (a la Old Hechinger) to all destinations. Run said parallel to where the buses come (beside the shelters) but on that *next* sidewalk out (the one closest to parking). Is that what people are using already (the few that have successfully slugged from here)?
snlfam View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snlfam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 5:10pm
Starting today, I am trying to start a return line to the 123 lot at the new New York and 14th location. If that doesn't work well, I will try to start one at the Commerce Dept. line. Anyone want to join me?
dizzykat22192 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dizzykat22192 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 1:21pm
I cannot slug home evenings due to work schedule but I would be happy to have the 123 lot be one-way sluggers only since the bus does stop there evenings. This would eliminate the problems with drivers not wanting to go to 123 at night and help to alleviate the parking problems at O.H. That being said, we definitely need a sign directing people to 123 when the lot is full. O.H. this morning was a nightmare - I got there are 8:15ish and it was nearly full but the cars were lined up all the way to Old Bridge Road. I've never seen the cars like that. As for the Church - 14th/18th works for me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic