Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Commuter Lot at First Baptist Church!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old_timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 7:46am
Just wanted to point out a few things about this new location.
First off, let me say, I have changed from the Potomac Mills lot @ 6:30 to Horner Rd. @ 6:10 to make sure I get a spot.
About the new location, this parking lot is a loooong ways from the entrace to 95. Many stoplights in between. Probably will add at least 10 min. or more to the commute. Second, the lot empties out onto Minieville Rd, which in the evenings is VERY congested! Third, did I read correctly that people will have to cross Minievile Rd in the a.m. to catch the bus? Not good!
If a slug line was created for the Pentagon at K-Mart and there was a bus connection to the Pentagon, I might use it, but I think I'll just stick with Horner. Thanks anyway.
cksavage View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cksavage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 10:35am
quote:
Originally posted by Bob

I think I agree to make the church lot a DC only lot to start with. The DC folks have few spaces at Potomac to use for slugging. Leave the Rosslyn and CC at Dale City with improved lighting and signs. [I am assuming that the Dale City lot is still underutilized - correct?] Also, to stongly encourage the DC folks to use the church lot from the VERY START. We want cars there after PWC went to so much trouble to set it up for us.

The Dale City lot is stll underutilized. There are plenty of spaces open - I get there around 6:30 and pick up riders. Activity to Rosslyn is picking up in the AM and slower but getting better in the PM back from Rosslyn.

I agree that the 370 spaces is probably not enough to support multiple slug lines and bus service as well. Pick one and go with it!
jgirl View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 11:19am
What if we have one line to all slug locations at the Church, but it would only become active after 7:00, which is when the Horner lot fills up? People could check at that lot before going to Horner.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 11:47am
As a genaralization, is it true that Pentagoners go in to work much earlier than DC slugs? Horner is a very early lot and is heavily military, true? That would tend to say that overall there is not a lot of Pentagon bound slugging after 7:30 or 8am. Any lot that is geared for late slugging would probably be mostly non-Pentagon slugs. Comments.....?
southbridgemom View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southbridgemom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 9:52pm
quote:
Originally posted by Bob

As a genaralization, is it true that Pentagoners go in to work much earlier than DC slugs? Horner is a very early lot and is heavily military, true? That would tend to say that overall there is not a lot of Pentagon bound slugging after 7:30 or 8am. Any lot that is geared for late slugging would probably be mostly non-Pentagon slugs. Comments.....?

Bob,
I would say no. Although many Pentagon folks go in early (say to start work before 8am), the DC slug line at Horner often has 15-20 folks (sometimes more) in line for rides as early as 6:30 am. There is a sizeable Military population (to include DoD Civilians) that use the Horner lot, but it's not all DoD types. There isn't a lot of PNT bound slugging after 7:30-8am due to the lot filling up so early.

Here's hoping the First Baptist lot can be put to use to take some of the pressure off of Horner Rd, OH, and Tacketts in general.
shorty5646 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shorty5646 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2011 at 11:02am
quote:
Originally posted by tullylo

Please use this lot for 14th, 18th and L'Enfant. There are plenty of late sluggers and riders going to those locations. All other lots are full and we're stuck. I arrive at 7:30 as I don't have to be in to work until 8:30 a.m. and am not able to change my hours.

I agree, and hope to see a line created here for L'Enfant and other downtown locations. I've been trying to get drivers on board for L'Enfant at Tackett's without much luck so far. I'd really like to be able to go back and forth to L'Enfant from somewhere after 7:30am besides the 123 lot (TOO far from home for me)! I also feel like DC sluggers need more options for later in the morning - I'm currently arriving at Tackett's Mill at 7:30am, just to get a parking space, even though I don't have to be at work until 9am. As another poster said, it just makes the day seem longer and longer...
pcr29 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcr29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2011 at 12:38pm
With only 300+ spaces, unfortunately we can not afford multiple destinations, I suggested that this lot to be DC just to be fair with the Potomac people that were left in limbo,
Now if I wanted door to door service as I sense to be the logic in some slugs, I would like this lot to be a mirror of Tacketts Mill(without the mess) also taking in consideration the bus service that will be available for this location, BUT that will lead again to leave the Dale City lot under utilized.
In the end, everybody wants what is convenience for them, just my two cents,
southbridgemom View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southbridgemom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2011 at 9:23pm
quote:
Originally posted by pcr29

With only 300+ spaces, unfortunately we can not afford multiple destinations, I suggested that this lot to be DC just to be fair with the Potomac people that were left in limbo,
Now if I wanted door to door service as I sense to be the logic in some slugs, I would like this lot to be a mirror of Tacketts Mill(without the mess) also taking in consideration the bus service that will be available for this location, BUT that will lead again to leave the Dale City lot under utilized.
In the end, everybody wants what is convenience for them, just my two cents,

If Gemini is still underutilized, recommend the Gemini lot be the 'mirror image' of Tacketts you mentioned above. You have 3 busses servicing Gemini today (Dale City to WNY, Dale City-DC, and Dale City-CC/Pentagon). The DC folks who need/want/deserve a chance for a non-stop trip would have a backup bus ride back to Gemini in the event no drivers show in their respective work areas in the PM.

Then, use the church lot as an overflow lot, since that lot will only have one bus line servicing it (Rosslyn/Ballston). That way, anyone going to DC from the church can still get off at the Pentagon and continue. This will also give the later riders a viable, "one size fits all" alternative.

If you still keep Gemini as a lot to the VA locations, and use the church lot for DC locations, great. But I think my idea above would be workable. Maybe a bit confusing at first (adding to current confusion), but you DO have the backup busses to support it now.

It would have been nice to KNOW the church lot would have been in the picture before decisions were made to go to Gemini, but you do the best you can with what you have at the time. Here's a chance to make lemonade from the lemons.
tullylo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullylo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 7:05am
quote:
Originally posted by old_timer

Just wanted to point out a few things about this new location.
First off, let me say, I have changed from the Potomac Mills lot @ 6:30 to Horner Rd. @ 6:10 to make sure I get a spot.
About the new location, this parking lot is a loooong ways from the entrace to 95. Many stoplights in between. Probably will add at least 10 min. or more to the commute. Second, the lot empties out onto Minieville Rd, which in the evenings is VERY congested! Third, did I read correctly that people will have to cross Minievile Rd in the a.m. to catch the bus? Not good!
If a slug line was created for the Pentagon at K-Mart and there was a bus connection to the Pentagon, I might use it, but I think I'll just stick with Horner. Thanks anyway.

Isn't it true that the lot also has an exit onto Elm Farm Rd? Seems really convenient for those who want to get to Prince William Parkway (like me) [8D]
dburkart View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dburkart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2011 at 7:52pm
I really like going to the Dale City Lot and plan on staying there. Hopefully so do others -- I go into Rosslyn
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic