Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Refusing rides

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boo123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 3:37pm
Filthy cars. Interiors, I am talking about. I can stand some degree of filth. It is not like I am the neatest somebody in the world. However, I have encountered (on 2 occasions since I started slugging 3-4 years ago) some cars that were beyond belief.

One woman and her baby drove up, I opened the door, and realized the baby had done EVERYTHING in that car. I said, "I am sorry. I cannot sit in this for 40 minutes." The mother/driver took it very well; said she understood. (I think she gets refused alot.) I closed the door. Got in the next car.

Second incident, the guy's car was a similar "trash can". The driver of the previous car in front had originally said she was going to a destination that was not going to work for me. I had been in this second car (the guy's car) before so knew what I was up against. The driver of the previous car then changed her mind and said she'd drop me at my destination after all. I said, "Bless you!" [:D]

Just a little levity for the afternoon. Seriously, I don't pass up much either (usually running late). So you know it has to be a cesspool going on in the car if I am balking.[:)]
Beth Pagni View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beth Pagni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 4:39pm
WOW...I guess that goes along the lines of etiquette for slugging. Drivers should certainly keep their cars clean..I think I'd have
to say no to a filthy back seat that a baby did EVERYTHING in too. I think I must be lucky- I've only been slugging for 6 months and every car I get into has been pretty nice. (knocking on wood)
BrieNey View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrieNey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 9:08pm
I've only experienced one driver that I'd definitely pass on if I saw him again. He wouldn't stop trying to talk to me the entire way into DC - which for the most part I don't mind some idle chit-chat, but he kept asking me things like how old I was, was I married yet, were my parents trying to pressure me to get married (oh and he wanted to know if there was anything going on between me and another slug... uh no, we just happen to go to the same location), and so on. And then he told me he was going to "write about me" in his book. I was too afraid to ask.
slug123456789 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slug123456789 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 10:58am
quote:
Originally posted by BrieNey

I've only experienced one driver that I'd definitely pass on if I saw him again. He wouldn't stop trying to talk to me the entire way into DC - which for the most part I don't mind some idle chit-chat, but he kept asking me things like how old I was, was I married yet, were my parents trying to pressure me to get married (oh and he wanted to know if there was anything going on between me and another slug... uh no, we just happen to go to the same location), and so on. And then he told me he was going to "write about me" in his book. I was too afraid to ask.

That is way too creepy.

I refuse to get in a few cars - smokers, known bad drivers. I don't care what anybody says, I am not getting into a car with a driver I know has problems. I once rode in a car and I felt like I was going to get whiplash because he kept taking his foot on an off the gas and I mean constantly, no relief from the jerking back and forth. Not again!!! But, smokers I really, really hate - they should just be banned (Kinda joking, but I so wish that could happen).
AngloAustrian View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngloAustrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 11:31am
Cars that have the smell of stale cigarette smoke are my bug bear too (along with tail gaiting, but that was discussed many times and I just close my eyes and hope for the best). Unfortunately, by the time you get in the car, and close the door, you don't smell the stink until the car is moving. I wish there was a sign that said "Warning, stale cigarette smoke!" Only kidding, but I think some would really appreciate it. However, having said that, I am still grateful for the ride and I usually find that I get used to the smell after a short while, and I just hope I don't stink for the rest of the day! Once had a guy pull up WITH A LIT CIGARETTE in his hand! Nobody took the ride.
NO44 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NO44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 11:55am
quote:
Originally posted by AngloAustrian

Cars that have the smell of stale cigarette smoke are my bug bear too (along with tail gaiting, but that was discussed many times and I just close my eyes and hope for the best). Unfortunately, by the time you get in the car, and close the door, you don't smell the stink until the car is moving. I wish there was a sign that said "Warning, stale cigarette smoke!" Only kidding, but I think some would really appreciate it. However, having said that, I am still grateful for the ride and I usually find that I get used to the smell after a short while, and I just hope I don't stink for the rest of the day! Once had a guy pull up WITH A LIT CIGARETTE in his hand! Nobody took the ride.

See I'm a smoker and I also think that is rude. I wouldn't subject anyone to that. It's just really inconsiderate. Yes, they are getting a free ride, but just because I choose to smoke doesn't mean I would impose that on someone else. Not to mention the health issues. I can't believe he pulled up with a lit cigarette and expected to get riders!

Nic
VAwitch View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VAwitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 2:09pm
quote:
Originally posted by AngloAustrian

Actually, before getting far, if I though it was a smoker-car, I'd ask be let out. I have asthma, and stale-smoke car, or one where the driver smoked & threw-the-butt right before picking up HAVE set off my asthma.

Same for being a driver - once I did have to ask a passenger to exit before we'd even moved an inch - the "cloud" was still enough I could feel my lungs closing up.

Only had 1 person who rode in my car, and their perfume set off my asthma (FWIW I've been riding & driving for 17yrs, and only had 5 incidents in that time), that got pissy when I said I'd have to take them back to the line. She said don't bother, got out w/ a slam, and walked back to the line... *shrug*

But if you can't understand that your driver may start having breathing difficulties, or your passenger will need 911 - and lets you know quickly - well, dunno what to tell you.
zansmom View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zansmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 12:39pm
I have a brief list of who I will refuse (future) rides from:
Green BMW at Tackett's w/ older slender white male driver - chain smoker, always a cloud of smoke in his car.
Large White SUV (possibly Explorer)at Tackett's w/ husky black female driver - drove 80 mph with all four windows down in the fall with music blaring loudly the whole way.
Brown older model Buick 4 door w/50'ish female driver - changes destinations at the last minute near the Pentagon (said she was going to 14th and Penn. then got ready to take MEMORIAL BRIDGE EXIT).
Blue Jeep Cherokee (tags "LETTERMAN") older white male driver - drove in rainstorm constantly on his blackberry the whole length of 95 from OH lot to 14th st.
And a hispanic guy with an older compact car (can't remember too much other than that) but he drove really fast and his seatbelts don't latch). So I literally prayed the entire trip.
But other than that, I'm good with anybody (for the most part). [;)]
CJ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 5:42pm
So as a slug its pretty easy for me to refuse a ride from someone. you just look the other way, pretend you're going somewhere else, whatever. lots of ways to be passive aggressive about it. As the driver it's a bit bit more difficult to avoid confrontation if you don't want the chronic smoker or the gum-popping farter or the holy-roller who wants to convert you in 30 minutes or less. How do you deal with that?

CJ
NO44 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NO44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 8:47am
quote:
Originally posted by CJ

So as a slug its pretty easy for me to refuse a ride from someone. you just look the other way, pretend you're going somewhere else, whatever. lots of ways to be passive aggressive about it. As the driver it's a bit bit more difficult to avoid confrontation if you don't want the chronic smoker or the gum-popping farter or the holy-roller who wants to convert you in 30 minutes or less. How do you deal with that?

CJ

@ Cj, being a driver, I know your pain, the talker is the one that gets me and not the nice conversationalist because I am so down with that provided it is not Monday morning... but the expert in everything I cannot handle...Oh I had one guy showing my pictures of his family vacation while I was trying to drive... reallllly???

Nic
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic