Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Refusing rides

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Refusing rides
    Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 4:41pm
Just curious if any of you have an opinion on these:

Diplomats - I notice a few cars with diplomatic plates will stop and pick up slugs. That is very nice of them because, to my knowledge, they don't have to obey our traffic laws (they can be pulled over, but not cited). That said, I wouldn't ride in one since, if the driver does something stupid that causes my death or injury, I have no recourse against them (Diplomatic Immunity).

Cars with rejected VA inspections. Had this happen the other day. Nice BMW pulled up to 19 & F. I noticed the failure sticker and I passed on the ride. Granted the sticker could be for something simple as a burnt out bulb, but I figure another ride will be along shortly.

Thoughts anyone?

shorty5646 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shorty5646 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 4:46pm
From http://www.slug-lines.com/Slugging/Etiquette.asp:

quote:
Slugs have the right to pass or forfeit a ride if they do not like a particular car. Lets say a couple of rough-looking characters pull up and your gut feeling tells you this ride isnt safe. PASS. There are plenty of other rides that will pass your own personal "gut" check.

As a slug, you have the right to pass on any ride, based on your "gut" feelings. Bottom line is, if you don't want to get in a car for whatever reason, you don't have to - no one is forcing you!
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 8:43am
quote:
Originally posted by shorty5646

From http://www.slug-lines.com/Slugging/Etiquette.asp:

quote:
Slugs have the right to pass or forfeit a ride if they do not like a particular car. Lets say a couple of rough-looking characters pull up and your gut feeling tells you this ride isnt safe. PASS. There are plenty of other rides that will pass your own personal "gut" check.

As a slug, you have the right to pass on any ride, based on your "gut" feelings. Bottom line is, if you don't want to get in a car for whatever reason, you don't have to - no one is forcing you!

Thanks. I know I have the right to pass up a ride. I was just curious if anyone had an opinion on my "views"
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 9:44am
The Virginia state safety inspection is so easy to get and yet so easy to fail. I wouldn't put too much weight on just the sticker.

How do you know that a good sticker is, in fact, legit? (I've seen people pay for and/or steal stickers. They put them on cars that are so rusted out that it looks like the Flintstone's car with huge holes in the floor.)

How do you know that a failure sticker is of a critical component? (Some cars fail for headlights being a bit foggy or not being aimed properly. The car will appear to pass with the naked eye.)

I take almost any ride available, even if it's in the trunk of a Miata.

I try and fall asleep so that if the driver wrecks, I'm nice and limp... Tends to work out for the drunks that wreck; They're limber and flop around in the wreck. The people who they hit are panicked and tense, they end up getting hurt or killed.

-------------------------
Times to beat:
Horner Rd to/from Pentagon: 12 mins Without Slugs - 17 mins With slugs
Dale City exit to/from 3rd St Tunnel, D.C. 18 mins (No slugs - Holiday)
shorty5646 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shorty5646 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 10:08am
quote:
Thanks. I know I have the right to pass up a ride. I was just curious if anyone had an opinion on my "views"

Well, in that case, I'm with Pele - I'll ride with almost anyone! Of course, that may be in part because I'm usually not in any position to pass up a ride (I leave DC around 5:30pm). I never even think to check tags or stickers! Personally, I'd only pass on a ride if I had a bad feeling about a "rough-looking character", especially as a woman. However, my point in quoting the etiquette page is simply that it is your choice as a slug - it sounds like you may be just a bit more picky about your rides, but that's your prerogative!
NO44 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NO44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 1:08pm
quote:
Originally posted by scottt

Diplomats - I notice a few cars with diplomatic plates will stop and pick up slugs. That is very nice of them because, to my knowledge, they don't have to obey our traffic laws (they can be pulled over, but not cited). That said, I wouldn't ride in one since, if the driver does something stupid that causes my death or injury, I have no recourse against them (Diplomatic Immunity).

Cars with rejected VA inspections. Had this happen the other day. Nice BMW pulled up to 19 & F. I noticed the failure sticker and I passed on the ride. Granted the sticker could be for something simple as a burnt out bulb, but I figure another ride will be along shortly.

Thoughts anyone?

quote:
Originally posted by scottt

Thoughts anyone?

I am a driver and I've only had one person pass on me. To be fair, if you ride with me, you will get home quickly. I don't drive like a maniac but I don't mosey along (especially in the left lane..people if you want to go slow there is a lane for that... or 3 more over in the regular lines). And when I see most people in line they run for my car because they are comfortable I will get them home quickly and safely. The one lady that passed on me was an older Latina lady who rode with me earlier in the week. I noticed when we got the lot she had her rosary out and was praying. So when I saw her the next day and tried to score her she waved at me like I was el diablo [}:)] and yelled "no, no, no" But that's her preference and I wouldn't knock anyone for doing what makes them feel comfortable. However if you ever want to get back to the Woodbridge or sometimes Montclair area quickly... I'm your girl!

[:D]

Nic
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 7:45am
quote:

I never even think to check tags or stickers!

I check them all the time, mainly to see if they match the car, and to see if I know the inspector.

-------------------------
Times to beat:
Horner Rd to/from Pentagon: 12 mins Without Slugs - 17 mins With slugs
Dale City exit to/from 3rd St Tunnel, D.C. 18 mins (No slugs - Holiday)
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 9:02am
quote:

quote:

Well, in that case, I'm with Pele - I'll ride with almost anyone! Of course, that may be in part because I'm usually not in any position to pass up a ride (I leave DC around 5:30pm). I never even think to check tags or stickers! Personally, I'd only pass on a ride if I had a bad feeling about a "rough-looking character", especially as a woman. However, my point in quoting the etiquette page is simply that it is your choice as a slug - it sounds like you may be just a bit more picky about your rides, but that's your prerogative!

:-) Don't get me wrong. I'm not standing there checking to see if the cars have heated seats in the winter time. In fact the BMW was the first ride I've refused in over 6 years of slugging.

Just wondering if others shared my views or had other reasons for refusing a ride (before they got into the car)
Beth Pagni View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beth Pagni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 2:06pm
amen to Nic...she IS your girl if you want to get home quickly YET Safely! I can certainly vouch for that.

I'm with the rest of the gang...if someone rolls up...I'm in
that car....I need to get from point a to point b- simple as that!
ShellyBee View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShellyBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 2:50pm
I have refused rides before, though not often. I will not drive with people I know to be agressive, speed demons, and I have refused to get into tiny cars where you have to climb into a cubby hole in the back seat. I also refused a ride with someone driving a jeep (the off-road kind), because again, I wasn't interested in climbing up into a vehicle and into a back closet. And I also refuse future rides with a women who claimed she was going to 18th and L Streets (I worked around 18th and E) and then drove up 23rd street and wraped around some back roads to end up a her parking garage at 18th and L. I had to walk from L Street back down to E.... I was not happy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic