Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seat belts (Ok, I've had it)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 9:19am
quote:
Originally posted by BobNoo

Ouch. Im crushed. You hurt me with your words. Being retired after 28 yrs in Fed Law Enforcement, Ive done both BSR and Fed Law Enforcement Training Center high speed and skid pan driving as well as J turns -S turns - crash bang vehicle extraction at other facility. And I am criticized by a guy who lists 12 min time to beat to 14th St Bridge from Horner Road and another guy whose life revolves around posting over 400 messages to this web site and name calls police during Police Week. Whatever. I rest my case. Good day to you sir. I said Good Day.

It's 12 minutes Horner to Pentagon, not the 14th st Bridge... And what's wrong with that? Why would you use that as a strike against me? I'm advertising it as a badge of honor.

You're law enforcement. You know the values of being able to properly control a car. I'm asking why it's wrong to slide a car in an empty parking lot? It's exactly what you did in the instruction courses.

And my criticism was not directed at you, it was directed at the laws in this area.

My argument was that laws are designed to stimulate revenue production rather than protect the public. My points were that modern cars are built for high speeds and US spec vehicles aren't that much different than European spec vehicles that are used on the Autobahn with no speed limit.

So, if vehicles are capable of high speed driving and driver training were improved to encompass operation at high speeds, why would operation of a vehicle at a high rate of speed be unsafe?

-------------------------
Times to beat:
Horner Rd to/from Pentagon: 12 mins Without Slugs - 17 mins With slugs
Dale City exit to/from 3rd St Tunnel, D.C. 18 mins (No slugs - Holiday)
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 10:37am
quote:

Ouch. Im crushed. You hurt me with your words. Being retired after 28 yrs in Fed Law Enforcement, Ive done both BSR and Fed Law Enforcement Training Center high speed and skid pan driving as well as J turns -S turns - crash bang vehicle extraction at other facility. And I am criticized by a guy who lists 12 min time to beat to 14th St Bridge from Horner Road and another guy whose life revolves around posting over 400 messages to this web site and name calls police during Police Week. Whatever. I rest my case. Good day to you sir. I said Good Day.

Grow up, you childish buffoon. You are being criticized for your juvenile behavior, not for your career failures.
BobNoo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobNoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 10:11am
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 9:26am
quote:

That's the way. Degrade cops. Real class pal. Our Cops are rubes because they won't allow you to act out sophmoric immature hillbilly punk behavior. You are too cool dude. Both my adult children are cops. Not rubes - solid smart college graduates. They'll probably arrest your reality show, Darwin Award candidate kids some day to keep the rest of us safe.

I'm sure they do a fine job and are not adversely affected by their exposure to your personal ignorance.
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 12:15pm
quote:

That's the way. Degrade cops. Real class pal. Our Cops are rubes because they won't allow you to act out sophmoric immature hillbilly punk behavior. You are too cool dude. Both my adult children are cops. Not rubes - solid smart college graduates. They'll probably arrest your reality show, Darwin Award candidate kids some day to keep the rest of us safe.

Many of the traffic laws in this area are designed to generate revenue rather than protect the public.

Please tell me how sliding a car in an empty parking lot is dangerous to anyone.

What about speed limits? Most modern cars are capable of 100+ MPH. The cars they sell here don't differ very much from the ones that are on the Autobahn... The only difference is driver training.

When your kids when through the police academy, did you have a chance to check out any of their advanced vehicle control classes? If they're local police, they probably took them at BSR Inc. up in Summit Point, West Virginia.

These kinds of classes are also available to the public, and in my opinion should be part of basic driver's education... Instead, we get retarded classes that take you through neighborhoods and teach you to parallel park and other mundane crap.

Being able to skid a car in a controlled environment such as an empty parking lot and practicing recovery techniques is MUCH safer for the general public than skidding on a public road and not being able to control it. It's called preparedness, because we get all kinds of weather in this area. I hardly think this is juvenile behavior. Your comment is unjustified.

Times to beat:
BobNoo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobNoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 9:59am
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 7:18am
quote:
Originally posted by Pele

3.) Teach your kids through experience... Check brakes with them in the car, put the car in a slide in a snowy parking lot... That sort of thing.

The rubes, uh, I mean the cops, around here don't know about the value of doing donuts in a snowy parking lot and they become irate and irrational when you try to explain it to them.
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 4:12pm
quote:
Originally posted by GKreamer

quote:
Originally posted by CJ

Pele,
Obviously you have
(a) never been a teenager and
(b) probably don't have teenagers

I have great kids, both straight A's and my son was the valedictorian of his class, I believe my kids DO wear their seat belts, especially since one of my son's classmates was killed on route 1 three years ago. However, telling kids about all the dangers out there may help a bit after awhile they just roll their eyes at you and tune you out -- it's been the bane of parents for about 2000 years. If you do have teenagers and you think they hear, listen and obey everything you tell them, well all I can say is good luck with that.

CJ

What was wrong with Pele's suggestions?

George

My father always took the car out in snowy conditions and taught me what causes it to slide and how to recover from one... Lessons learned, I can happily say that I've never wrecked a car in inclement weather.

I got the crap beaten out of me for failure, so I got decent grades in school, science specifically. The payoff is a decent technical career; But for the discussion at hand, I know how a vehicle operates more so than just, "The right one makes you go, the middle one makes you stop, what's the left one for?"

When the car my family was in got T-boned by a drunk, we were all safe and we were all following the rules. Crap still happened. Hence I have always and will always buckle up. I still look around even though I have a green light.

My parents didn't raise an idiot. I will attempt to do the same.
Failing that if my kids don't listen to me, they can buy their own car after they move out because they won't be getting my keys.

Perhaps parents now a days should look into actually parenting rather than just giving their kids a brand new car and trying to be their buddy.

Times to beat:
GKreamer View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GKreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 1:05pm
quote:
Originally posted by CJ

Pele,
Obviously you have
(a) never been a teenager and
(b) probably don't have teenagers

I have great kids, both straight A's and my son was the valedictorian of his class, I believe my kids DO wear their seat belts, especially since one of my son's classmates was killed on route 1 three years ago. However, telling kids about all the dangers out there may help a bit after awhile they just roll their eyes at you and tune you out -- it's been the bane of parents for about 2000 years. If you do have teenagers and you think they hear, listen and obey everything you tell them, well all I can say is good luck with that.

CJ

What was wrong with Pele's suggestions?

George
AngloAustrian View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngloAustrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 9:33am
I don't know the answers. All I can tell you is that I am the sneaky kind of parent that will wait for the teen to roll home and watch to see if there's a seat belt being unclicked. That's the best I can do. And my kid knows no seat belt, no car insurance, ergo no car.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic