Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seat belts (Ok, I've had it)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktzmom13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 4:56pm
Maybe this is a weird question - but would you have reached back and buckled if it had been a woman?
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 7:40pm
quote:
Originally posted by scottt

My point is that, sitting in the front, in a front end collision, I lose when the rear occupant isn't buckled up. I will be the bloody meat sandwich between the airbag, and the unbuckled person behind me. The person behind me is "controlling" my life or death in the event of an accident. If they are in the front and unbuckled, I could care less. It's their funeral.

Bottom line is that:

a). I can't believe I actually buckled the guy up, and certainly won't do it again

b). I need to get my behind out of the car in a hurry if the rear passenger won't buckle up.

Always pick rear seat. More crumple zone between you and whatever the driver guides his/her car into.

-------------------------
Times to beat:
Horner Rd to/from Pentagon: 12 mins Without Slugs - 17 mins With slugs
Dale City exit to/from 3rd St Tunnel, D.C. 18 mins (No slugs - Holiday)
NO44 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NO44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 8:45am
quote:
Originally posted by Beth Pagni

I have to admit, if someone turned around and attempted to buckle me into a seat belt like a child (I am 47) I'd have an issue too.

right?? I would have suggested taking the bus, metro or VRE, but there are NO seatbelts [:D]

Nic
AngloAustrian View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngloAustrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 8:48am
I cannot believe that ANYBODY in this day and age would not buckle up? Where are these people's brains? I have never seen anybody get into a car and not buckle up, never had an issue. Mind you, I don't usually check other passengers - that is the driver's job. If there is an accident, and if the driver causes it, and if the passenger is not buckled up and subsequently badly hurt, the driver could end up losing his shirt (and house) if his insurance is not sufficient for any subsequent lawsuits. So, drivers need to be aware and make sure their passengers are wearing their seatbelts. Sitting in the back is not going to help you in an accident, even with a seatbelt, if the headrest is not adjusted. I repeatedly find headrests missing in mini-vans, or not adjusted. Passengers, if you don't buckle up and are hurt in an accident, I am not sure how insurance adjusters will view the fact that you did not do everything possible to prevent said injuries, so you may find you lose in court even if you are maimed for life. It only makes sense to buckle up and adjust your headrest, but I will not do it for other people. Refuse the ride if you feel unsafe, you are entitled. But that's all you can do. Or sit in the back.
RetiredMarine View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RetiredMarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 10:09am
As a driver I won't move until everyone is buckled up. As a slug I try my hardest to ride in the back.
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 12:39pm
quote:
Originally posted by Pele

Always pick rear seat. More crumple zone between you and whatever the driver guides his/her car into.

I always try to, but sometimes can't (person is already there, or the 1st in line takes it). We'll see how it goes the first time I need to jump out of a car.
floreso2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floreso2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 1:17pm
I've seen in a safety brief a video of a driver who wasn't buckled up, got into an accident and went out the rear winshield. I would think everyone should buckle up these days.
fed up View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 2:48pm
Check out the picture of the car (www.insidenova.com). The kids in this car were not buckled; they hit a deer and the driver lost control. One young lady died on the scene the other three had to be medivaced to a local trauma center. This should be a lesson to everyone to buckle up, but unfortunately. . .
NO44 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NO44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 3:30pm
quote:
Originally posted by fed up

Check out the picture of the car (www.insidenova.com). The kids in this car were not buckled; they hit a deer and the driver lost control. One young lady died on the scene the other three had to be medivaced to a local trauma center. This should be a lesson to everyone to buckle up, but unfortunately. . .

@fed up, I just saw that, how tragic. My prayers go out to thier family and friends.

Nic
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 4:20pm
quote:
Originally posted by floreso2

I would think everyone should buckle up these days.

Those that don't are Darwin Award Nominees.

-------------------------
Times to beat:
Horner Rd to/from Pentagon: 12 mins Without Slugs - 17 mins With slugs
Dale City exit to/from 3rd St Tunnel, D.C. 18 mins (No slugs - Holiday)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic