Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seat belts (Ok, I've had it)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seat belts (Ok, I've had it)
    Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 9:19am
Sometimes when I get in the front seat of a car, the rear passenger gets in and doesn't buckle up. I turn around and gently remind them, and 99 times out of a 100 they put on their seatbelt. I have a big issue with this when I'm in the front, because if we hit something, the airbag is going to come at me at 200mph, and the rear passenger is going to hit me at whatever speed we were traveling.

Well just recently I've had two incidents that have pushed my last nerve on the subject, hence this post. About a month ago, a woman refused to buckle up. After I asked her many times to do so, she still wouldn't. Finally she said, I'll put it on if the driver asks me to. He did, twice. She finally buckled up. We got into a discussion once we got to the lot (no four letter words :-) ). I haven't seen her since (yay!).

Well, this morning I got into the 1st car (passenger already in the back). He refused to buckle up. I told him we'd need to switch places then, he didn't like that idea either. Unfortunately the driver just kept on going, so I didn't get to push the swap issue. After many repeated requests for him to put it on (with me calling him sir each time) he finally said he'd put it on, but made no motion to do so. I told him to buckle it now. He said fine, no motion. Please put it on now, sir. No motion. Finally I reached behind and put it on for him.

In hindsight, luckily for me, he didn't move an inch. He just sat there and let me buckle him up. If he had blocked my attempts, my day would have taken a bad turn.

So, going further, I guess I just need to immediately get out of the car if they refuse to buckle up. Buckling up for them is going to get me arrested one of these days :-)
elisabeth64 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elisabeth64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 10:03am
Next time you step into the slug line carry a little sign in a plastic sleeve that reads "if you are a slug who won't buckle up, please don't get in the same car I do".
NO44 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NO44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 10:55am
quote:
Originally posted by scottt

Sometimes when I get in the front seat of a car, the rear passenger gets in and doesn't buckle up. I turn around and gently remind them, and 99 times out of a 100 they put on their seatbelt. I have a big issue with this when I'm in the front, because if we hit something, the airbag is going to come at me at 200mph, and the rear passenger is going to hit me at whatever speed we were traveling.

Well just recently I've had two incidents that have pushed my last nerve on the subject, hence this post. About a month ago, a woman refused to buckle up. After I asked her many times to do so, she still wouldn't. Finally she said, I'll put it on if the driver asks me to. He did, twice. She finally buckled up. We got into a discussion once we got to the lot (no four letter words :-) ). I haven't seen her since (yay!).

Well, this morning I got into the 1st car (passenger already in the back). He refused to buckle up. I told him we'd need to switch places then, he didn't like that idea either. Unfortunately the driver just kept on going, so I didn't get to push the swap issue. After many repeated requests for him to put it on (with me calling him sir each time) he finally said he'd put it on, but made no motion to do so. I told him to buckle it now. He said fine, no motion. Please put it on now, sir. No motion. Finally I reached behind and put it on for him.

In hindsight, luckily for me, he didn't move an inch. He just sat there and let me buckle him up. If he had blocked my attempts, my day would have taken a bad turn.

So, going further, I guess I just need to immediately get out of the car if they refuse to buckle up. Buckling up for them is going to get me arrested one of these days :-)

You did not seriously buckle someone up? LMAO, we would have been fighting. Just saying

Nic
J-Staff View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Staff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 11:05am
quote:
Originally posted by scottt

Who designated you seat belt police? VA Law doesn't require it, so if you don't like someone behind you w/o a belt on, SIT IN THE BACK or get out of the car.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 12:31pm
http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/safety/programs/seatbelts/faq.asp
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 2:01pm
If you're another slug, you have no right to set rules in the car.
If you're driving, then you've got some say...

When I drive, I always pause for a few seconds for people to get situated and buckle up...

I've often noticed that there's a direct correlation between the people that don't buckle up and the number of tailgaters I notice behind me...

Of course there is also a direct correlation between the closeness of a tailgater and the probability that a random dog or kid will run out into the road.

Being both an amateur race car driver and a mechanic, I use the same quality components on my track car that I do on my road car. That means high quality tires, ceramic brake pads, and properly surfaced brake rotors.

There are a number of people that won't ride with me.

-------------------------
Times to beat:
Horner Rd to/from Pentagon: 12 mins Without Slugs - 17 mins With slugs
Dale City exit to/from 3rd St Tunnel, D.C. 18 mins (No slugs - Holiday)
Beth Pagni View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beth Pagni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 2:02pm
I have to admit, if someone turned around and attempted to buckle me into a seat belt like a child (I am 47) I'd have an issue too.
ShellyBee View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShellyBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 2:05pm
Scott, I understand your point and quite frankly, would prefer that everyone buckle up, but in this case, you were way out of line. You have no right to force anyone to buckle up unless it's your car and you're driving. You control your actions and let others control their own.
CJ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 4:09pm
Having sat through (twice) the video VA requires parents of new drivers to watch, I have changed my mind on this. Before I would have said if the back seat passenger wants to kill himself.. whatever. But actually anything not strapped down becomes a missile in an accident. That being said, if someone tried to buckle me up I would probably freak out.

CJ
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 4:11pm
quote:
Originally posted by ShellyBee

Scott, I understand your point and quite frankly, would prefer that everyone buckle up, but in this case, you were way out of line. You have no right to force anyone to buckle up unless it's your car and you're driving. You control your actions and let others control their own.

My point is that, sitting in the front, in a front end collision, I lose when the rear occupant isn't buckled up. I will be the bloody meat sandwich between the airbag, and the unbuckled person behind me. The person behind me is "controlling" my life or death in the event of an accident. If they are in the front and unbuckled, I could care less. It's their funeral.

Bottom line is that:

a). I can't believe I actually buckled the guy up, and certainly won't do it again

b). I need to get my behind out of the car in a hurry if the rear passenger won't buckle up.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic