Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Slug Lines at FBC and Rt 123 - 2 May 2011

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Slug Lines at FBC and Rt 123 - 2 May 2011
    Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 1:16pm
Starting on 2 May 2011, three new slug lines proposed:

At the First Baptist Church (FBC):
1) Rosslyn
2) Pentagon
3) 14/18/L'enfant JUST ADDED
*Map to be posted soon

At the Rt.123 and I-95:
1) 14th/18th Street
*Map to be posted soon

New FBC Slug Lines:

The problem with the FBC Commuter Lot (370 parking spaces) is that even though PRTC added a bus stop to the Rosslyn/Ballston (R-1, R-2, R-3 and R-4)it wasn't enough to provide the kind of backup service we slugs need in case we cannot find a ride.

To help the slugs, PRTC (OmniRide) is adding a shuttle bus service from Horner Road commuter lot to FBC. Since the vast majority of all bus service runs through Horner Road this will allow slugs to take any bus to Horner and then take the shuttle to FBC.

The shuttle is scheduled to leave Horner Road for the FBC lot at
***Corrections*** See Link PRTC Site with Shuttle Information
Shuttle
D-121, D-206 - 7:05 PM, 7:15 PM
D-123 - 7:26 PM, 7:36 PM
NX-1 - 8:24 PM, 8:34 PM

Commuters will also still be able to use the Rosslyn line to travel between the Horner Road and First Baptist lots in the morning and earlier in the evening.

On the return trip, slug should use the existing Potomac Mills slug lines. So, the line would actually be Potomac Mills/FBC.

For 14th/18th/WNY Slugs:

A new line is already underway at the Rt.123 and I-95 commuter lot to help the overcrowding at the Old Hechingers lot. As you know, the Old Hechingers lot gets full by around 8:00 am. Placing a new line at Rt. 123 makes it easy for drivers and slugs to shift to this location once Old Hechingers is full.

On the return trip, use the existing Old Hechinger's lines. The idea is that drivers will be willing to drop slugs at either Rt. 123 or Old Hechinger's. This is similiar to how Tackett's Mill drivers operate - they pick up slugs for either Horner or Tackett's.

Please provide input and thought on if this will work or if it could work better.

shorty5646 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shorty5646 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 1:36pm
Admin - is there ANY way that we could add a line to L'Enfant from FBC? I think that this could definitely work for those of us trying to get downtown later in the morning.

As far as the afternoon, we can use the existing Horner slug line to return - we could either create a line that goes back to FBC there, OR catch the PM Rosslyn bus as it reaches the Horner lot en route to FBC at 4:19, 5:07, 5:53 and 6:51pm.

The options for us L'Enfant slugs are just SO limited these days, especially towards the tail end of the commute.
jmattey View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmattey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 6:20pm
I'm starting at Pentagon in July will look to slug from I-95 & rt 123. JM
VAwitch View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VAwitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 9:36am
I ECHO a L'ENFANT LINE IS NEEDED @ FBC!!

I currently ride from Dale City after PM closed, since I can't get to Horner earlier due to child-care restrictions.

I stand in the Pentagon line now, and run about 50/50 for drivers &/or riders being 100% L'Enfant destinations.

So another L'Enfant line, at Dale City or the FBC is badly needed.
fed up View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 12:47pm
I agree. We need a dedicated L'Efant line.
zansmom View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zansmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 11:53am
Shorty,
I'm starting to think the Admin isn't paying attention to our request for secondary L'Enfant Plaza line. I think we may be on our own as far as getting the word out that SLUGS WHO CAN'T GET TO HORNER ROAD BEFORE 6:20 AM CAN BE PICKED UP AT OTHER LOTS.

It would be very helpful if the Admin would help us post signs for DRIVERS to see that if THEY will go to the other lots in the morning and the evening, we will be there for the rides.

The problem is NOT relaying the message to SLUGS, we obviously come on this site for direction. But it's a matter of someone either passing out flyers after 7am at Horner directing drivers over to 123/95, Tackett's or FBC, with a message saying we need rides BACK to those lots OR signs on posts giving them the information (just like when they directed people to split up the lines that time).

BOTTOM LINE: Parking spaces + Rides = Happy Slugs. One without the other = stranded slugs, going and coming.
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 5:27pm
I am paying attention and am more than happy to add L'Enfant to the map and website. I assume this includes 14th and 18th street too. Please advise.

I intend to send out a broadcast email tomorrow and another next week to help spread the word. So please post comments!

The planned start date is May 2nd.
shorty5646 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shorty5646 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 9:44am
Thanks, Admin! :)

I don't know if there is interest in creating a line for 14th/18th - maybe it would be good to include those at least in the beginning? Although I don't know how those slugs would plan to return to FBC. My plan from L'Enfant is to wait in the PM Horner line and then catch the Rosslyn bus from Horner to FBC in the evening.

PRTC's plan to provide a shuttle is a joke if you ask me, considering how late it will start - the parking lot is almost completely cleared out by 7pm when the first shuttle is scheduled to arrive!

In any case - YES! Please at least include L'Enfant in the map/website. If others have interest in added 14th/18th, I guess now is the time to speak up!
zansmom View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zansmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 10:50am
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

I am paying attention and am more than happy to add L'Enfant to the map and website. I assume this includes 14th and 18th street too. Please advise.

I intend to send out a broadcast email tomorrow and another next week to help spread the word. So please post comments!

The planned start date is May 2nd.

Admin -- Thank you so much for not only paying attention but for addressing this issue. I am not actually in a position to respond as to whether the 14/18th St. lines should be added in. Those slugs would need to speak in regards to their plight.

From what I have observed, 14/18 St. slugs have the Old Hechinger Rd. lot as a pretty large alternative to Horner Rd. However, L'Enfant Plaza slugs have only been able to slug directly out of Horner (and PM, if they get there at 6am).

But just as Shorty 5646, stated the gap in time between shuttles is too large. If someone gets to the lot just after 6pm, they will have to wait until 7pm to shuttle over to FBC. We appreciate all the help, but she's right, by 7pm the lots are practically empty. Look at it this way, a slugger that can't get to Horner until 6:30am or 7am, goes to FBC. That same slugger gets to work at 8am. Nine hours later they're leaving work: that's between 5 and 5:30 pm. Add to that a 35 minute slug ride. At 6:05 or so they arrive at Horner. Then they must wait until 7pm to get to their car.

AND PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE HELP US GET THE WORD OUT TO THE DRIVERS. (If it were an election year, we could get the candidates to pass out flyers in the lots to drivers and slugs. They were definitely out there in passing out their literature last year.) [B)]
Slugger05 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slugger05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 1:40pm
This is very exciting news!! I am SO happy that we are starting another L'enfant Plaza slug line FINALLY!

My only request is this: please make sure there is a returning PM slug line back to THIS FBC lot! It is very inconvenient to have to metro to another location or catch a bus ride back to my car. If I'm going to park my car here in the morning and slug to work, it would be great if I can also find a slug ride back to my car.

Thank you!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic