Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CNN Video on Slugging - May 31st, 2011

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CNN Video on Slugging - May 31st, 2011
    Posted: 24 Jun 2011 at 10:08pm
quote:
Originally posted by slug_driver

Actually, as a slug driver, it does save me money. If I commute to DC without slugs my avg MPG is around 22.5 (city driving).

If I use the HOV (with slugs) and drive at highway speeds my MPG jumps to 29. Which means I can drive an additional 100 miles with the same tank of gas.

And people complain that picking up slugs HURTS their fuel economy!
LOL

-------------------------
Times to beat:
Horner Rd to/from Pentagon: 12 mins Without Slugs - 17 mins With slugs
Dale City exit to/from 3rd St Tunnel, D.C. 18 mins (No slugs - Holiday)
CurlyHairedGirl View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CurlyHairedGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2011 at 9:02pm
I consider myself an environmentalist, so I am driving slugs to get over my guilt from not using public transportation.

Don't know if any news stories/publicity has mentioned that approach.
slug_driver View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slug_driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 7:05pm
Actually, as a slug driver, it does save me money. If I commute to DC without slugs my avg MPG is around 22.5 (city driving). That means I can drive 337 miles per 15 gallon tank of gas.

If I use the HOV (with slugs) and drive at highway speeds my MPG jumps to 29. Which means I can drive an additional 100 miles with the same tank of gas.

That being said if you do the math I save about $26 per tank (using today's gas prices).

Also city driving causes much more wear on a cars engine then highway driving so factor in the cost of reduced wear on the car traveling at 65+ vs the stop and start driving on the non-HOV lanes. I come out ahead in the long run.

I drive to get home quicker but there are cost savings involved for the slug driver as well.

JSB View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 10:29am
Wow, I can see myself getting in a car. Don't know when they filmed it.
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 8:21am
They focused a lot more on the free ride and high fuel prices... They briefly touched on the stop and go traffic with an image of still moving vehicles.

They should've shown an aerial view of I-95 at 4 or 5 PM on a Friday when the HOV lanes are moving smoothly and the mainline is parked.

Just makes it seem one sided.

-------------------------
Times to beat:
Horner Rd to/from Pentagon: 12 mins Without Slugs - 17 mins With slugs
Dale City exit to/from 3rd St Tunnel, D.C. 18 mins (No slugs - Holiday)
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 2:54pm
CNN just aired a very nice segment on slugging. Here is the link to the CNN video:

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2011/05/31/endo.slugging.car.pool.cnn

They really did a nice job on capturing how slugging operates, the benefits and the popularity.

Well done CNN!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic