Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Afternoon Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A plea to PM Pentagon Drivers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdatkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A plea to PM Pentagon Drivers
    Posted: 25 Jun 2003 at 9:21am
Based on about a month's worth of observations, it seems that the Pentagon pick up lanes (for Horner/234 etc.) get really backed up.

It seems as if there are far more 234/Montclair drivers than available slugs. So what happens is 2 drivers end up side by side, waiting for 234 slugs, and the Horner/Potomac Mills cars can't get through. Then the Horner slug line grows and growns and grows.

What can be done about this? I can think of two things. First, if 234 drivers would not park side by side, that would help tremendously. Second, if 234 drivers would take Horner or Potomac Mills slugs, this would help too. 95 south is *usually* not backed up between the Horner Lot and 234, although it can occassionally be bad.

Anyone else noticing this problem?
savannahr1 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savannahr1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2003 at 9:05am
I often slug to 234 in the evenings and actually I think the problem goes both ways. Sometimes the 234 line has cars waiting and holds up traffic. But the same also applies to when there is nobody in the Horner/Pot Mills line but there are a bunch of cars waiting in both "lanes" and holding up traffic. I don't know what the alternative is except to be patient and wait it out.
savannahr1 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savannahr1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2003 at 9:08am
And I don't think drivers would want to take anybody all the way to 234 if they drop off at Horner or Potomac. If I was a driver and lived in Lake Ridge or the immediate Pot Mills area I wouldn't want to drive all the way to 234. Getting off at the 234 exit can be a real pain, especially in the summers and almost always on Friday's.
cdatkins View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdatkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2003 at 10:10am
"And I don't think drivers would want to take anybody all the way to 234 if they drop off at Horner or Potomac. "

Right...I know I wouldn't.

But if I normally pickedup 234 slugs, but only Horner slugs were available, I wouldn't hesitate to go to Horner. I drive from Horner to Dumfries everyday by myself, and it usually takes 15 minutes. :-)
wdossel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wdossel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2003 at 12:30pm
Couple of thoughts (as a driver):

1) If you're going to Horner and there are only Potomac Mills slugs, pick them up, it's only a few more minutes and you won't be blocking traffic (vice versa as well). If there's a long line, consider taking a third (especially as we move into the hotter part of summer).

2) If you are waiting, make sure you are pulled over either to the curb on the left, or as far as you can go on the right. I've found that *most* vehicles (larger SUV's excluded) are able to navigate the opening left in the middle that results, even if vehicles are still parked in their spots on the right.

- Will
Sheepish View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheepish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2003 at 5:56am
As a follow up to what cdatkins said, if you normally pick up riders for 234, but you are sitting in line waiting for them-- I have found it much quicker to pick up people for either Potomac Mills or Horner and get going. Once you drop them off, it's only a few extra minutes out of your way that probably equals out to the time you'd experience just sitting and waiting for riders. I realize not everyone will agree with this, but I'd rather be moving along, than just sitting there and unintentionally blocking traffic at the Pentagon.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic