Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Curb side parking at Horner Road

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Our Mom Spot View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Our Mom Spot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Curb side parking at Horner Road
    Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 3:32pm
quote:
Originally posted by Malai2000

Guys - What's happening in Horner Road curb parking? I see that everyone getting tickets again even in very decent curbside parking from all the lots?

The Officer who writes the tickets @ Horner Road stated that he could ticket any car in any unmarked spot & has been instructed to do so.

----------
Are you a mom?
Visit www.OurMomSpot.net ... a safe place for moms to have fun, LOL, & connect with other moms!
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Our Mom Spot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 3:30pm
quote:
Originally posted by southbridgemom
Not that I have to justify myself to a name caller like you, but when my now 8 year old was born, we spent the first 3 years of his life leaving work on emergency runs to the Dr, in and out of hospitals, and going to work late COUNTLESS times. The first thing we learned was to ALWAYS have a backup plan. My husband was the one who was at the mercy of when commuter lots filled up. He knew (and still knows) where to go at what time so he can get a bus to work, or a slug ride to work. He also knew when he had to bite the bullet to go to Metro and shell out the hideous amounts of money to park and ride the subway.

The fact remains that many many people in Woodbridge don't have the life circumstances that you and your husband do.

((whispers))Did you know that some mothers in Woodbridge don't even have husbands?! ((gasp))

quote:
Because of my work location at the time, I could not take advantage of public transit or carpools. No one would go there. We learned very early on to ALWAYS have a plan B, and sometimes a plan C. It was the only way to get to work at all somedays. Fortunately he is much better now, but lessons are lessons no matter what age we are.

I am not sure where the disconnect is between your mind and reality, but even the judge realized what the real issues were.

quote:
While I'm glad your ticket was dismissed, you made the choice to park in an area that was not a space. AND, YOU call ME names for voicing my opinion. Doesn't sound very adult to me.

That could be because of your child-like reasoning ((shoulder shrug))

quote:
I think your time would be much better spent coming up with backup plans for those days when you wake up and your plans are turned completely upside down. Instead of making excuses, why don't you go to your elected officials (as YOU stated was suggested to you) to ask them to come up with more commuter solutions. Why don't you come up with some ideas yourself for those elected officials?

I really don't care how you think I shouild spend my time.

quote:
Name calling and whining won't solve the problem. WORKING towards a solution will. Coming up with plans for your family (for those days when the commuter lot fills up early) will help you deal with the problem.

Neither will prosthelytize and finger wagging.

quote:
It's not right that we're left with having to leave for work at ungodly hours just to get a parking space. But we do what we have to do. And when you KNOW you're parking in a possibly illegal space, and you still do it, don't come whining about it when you find another ticket on your car. It's all about choices.

Remember what they say about sticks and stones...

I thought this was a discussion area for people with commuting concerns. Are suggesting that I should not join in on the discussions here - just like you?

You say I am whining about getting a ticket.

You appear to be whining about my whining - LOL!

Again, the main focus for all of the adults who have entered the offline discussion on this issue is - how do we provide adequate commuter parking for all the working people in Woodbridge & nearby areas?

Until that happens, people are going to park on the curb @ horner road...

The officer who tickets the cars - who I spoke with personally, the court people overloaded with paper work - who I spoke with on the phone, and the judges who have to hear the "cases" all agree that the random and inconsistent ticketing is a monumental waste of time.

I realize that my conversation with you falls into the same category.

----------
Are you a mom?
Visit www.OurMomSpot.net ... a safe place for moms to have fun, LOL, & connect with other moms!
Malai2000 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malai2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 4:35pm
Does anyone know about the new construction at Telegraph Rd/Old Horner Road intersection just off the ramp? Is it a new parking being built?. I hope PWC admins should know horner road parking is one of the priority to work on?
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 5:47am
It's to fund the expansion of the Horner Rd parking lot... To all that contribute, we thank you kindly.

-------------------------
Times to beat:
Horner Rd to/from Pentagon: 12 mins Without Slugs - 17 mins With slugs
Dale City exit to/from 3rd St Tunnel, D.C. 18 mins (No slugs - Holiday)
KennyP View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KennyP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 2:09pm
Everyone who parks in unmarked parking spaces must contribute to the fund of Prince William County...[:)]
Malai2000 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malai2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 3:58pm
Guys - What's happening in Horner Road curb parking? I see that everyone getting tickets again even in very decent curbside parking from all the lots?
southbridgemom View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southbridgemom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2011 at 10:12pm
quote:
Originally posted by Our Mom Spot

quote:

I have a comment re/ "self entitled jerks." I think that characterization is extreme.

Considering the lack of parking options in Woodbridge since the shut down of Potomac Mills commuter parking & the lack of consistency in enforcement, many people park along the curb or on the end caps out of desperation. Marked spaces are usually gone by ~ 7 a.m.

Everyone in that lot = tax paying citizens who are just trying to get to work.

Sure, we desperately need more commuter parking, but until then you park in a LEGAL spot, or you should be ticketed and/or towed (as applicable). The law is the law. Period. End of story. Your argument doesnt hold up. They are tax paying citizens, but that doesn't give anyone the right to do what they want. You park in a LEGAL parking spot, you get there in time to find a legal spot, and you don't park in front of curbs, at bus stops, or anyplace that's not a legal spot. Otherwise, you find another way in to work. It's common sense -- what gives you or anyone else the right to imply that anything else is acceptable? These are hard times, and I am fortunate to HAVE a job. But I still have to follow the law.

I'm the mother of 2 children (one is 18 and commutes daily to NOVA Annandale). Even SHE knows you park in a legal space in a parking lot.

As parents it is OUR job to set the proper example. Especially to those in our families who are of legal driving age. If not, we set ourselves up for failure when we DO get additional commuter parking. We also do our children a disservice by showing them 'do as I say, not as I do'. It's WRONG.

Sorry if it sounds harsh, but following the rules is something that many adults have forgotten how to do...

You do sound harsh. But that's your right and you have the right to your own opinion.

Every adult knows that just because something is legal does not mean it's moral or right. See my post above. The JUDGE was on the side of the taxpaying commuter.

You have adult children & that's wonderful. For me and the scores of other parents in court that day with small children - the REAL issue is a lot more clear. We need more parking so we can take care of our families & get to work.

Your response doesn't address that. It's judgmental finger wagging...Now we know where the future judgmental finger waggers come from - people like you.

----------
Are you a mom?

Not that I have to justify myself to a name caller like you, but when my now 8 year old was born, we spent the first 3 years of his life leaving work on emergency runs to the Dr, in and out of hospitals, and going to work late COUNTLESS times. The first thing we learned was to ALWAYS have a backup plan. My husband was the one who was at the mercy of when commuter lots filled up. He knew (and still knows) where to go at what time so he can get a bus to work, or a slug ride to work. He also knew when he had to bite the bullet to go to Metro and shell out the hideous amounts of money to park and ride the subway. Because of my work location at the time, I could not take advantage of public transit or carpools. No one would go there. We learned very early on to ALWAYS have a plan B, and sometimes a plan C. It was the only way to get to work at all somedays. Fortunately he is much better now, but lessons are lessons no matter what age we are.

While I'm glad your ticket was dismissed, you made the choice to park in an area that was not a space. AND, YOU call ME names for voicing my opinion. Doesn't sound very adult to me.

I think your time would be much better spent coming up with backup plans for those days when you wake up and your plans are turned completely upside down. Instead of making excuses, why don't you go to your elected officials (as YOU stated was suggested to you) to ask them to come up with more commuter solutions. Why don't you come up with some ideas yourself for those elected officials?

Name calling and whining won't solve the problem. WORKING towards a solution will. Coming up with plans for your family (for those days when the commuter lot fills up early) will help you deal with the problem.

It's not right that we're left with having to leave for work at ungodly hours just to get a parking space. But we do what we have to do. And when you KNOW you're parking in a possibly illegal space, and you still do it, don't come whining about it when you find another ticket on your car. It's all about choices.

Remember what they say about sticks and stones...
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Our Mom Spot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2011 at 4:08pm
quote:

I have a comment re/ "self entitled jerks." I think that characterization is extreme.

Considering the lack of parking options in Woodbridge since the shut down of Potomac Mills commuter parking & the lack of consistency in enforcement, many people park along the curb or on the end caps out of desperation. Marked spaces are usually gone by ~ 7 a.m.

Sure, we desperately need more commuter parking, but until then you park in a LEGAL spot, or you should be ticketed and/or towed (as applicable). The law is the law. Period. End of story. Your argument doesnt hold up. They are tax paying citizens, but that doesn't give anyone the right to do what they want. You park in a LEGAL parking spot, you get there in time to find a legal spot, and you don't park in front of curbs, at bus stops, or anyplace that's not a legal spot. Otherwise, you find another way in to work. It's common sense -- what gives you or anyone else the right to imply that anything else is acceptable? These are hard times, and I am fortunate to HAVE a job. But I still have to follow the law.

I'm the mother of 2 children (one is 18 and commutes daily to NOVA Annandale). Even SHE knows you park in a legal space in a parking lot.

As parents it is OUR job to set the proper example. Especially to those in our families who are of legal driving age. If not, we set ourselves up for failure when we DO get additional commuter parking. We also do our children a disservice by showing them 'do as I say, not as I do'. It's WRONG.

Sorry if it sounds harsh, but following the rules is something that many adults have forgotten how to do...

You do sound harsh. But that's your right and you have the right to your own opinion.

Every adult knows that just because something is legal does not mean it's moral or right. See my post above. The JUDGE was on the side of the taxpaying commuter.

You have adult children & that's wonderful. For me and the scores of other parents in court that day with small children - the REAL issue is a lot more clear. We need more parking so we can take care of our families & get to work.

Your response doesn't address that. It's judgmental finger wagging...Now we know where the future judgmental finger waggers come from - people like you.

----------
Are you a mom?
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Our Mom Spot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2011 at 4:04pm
quote:
Originally posted by kingdon777

My opinion is that law enforcement should ticket vehicles in cases where the parked vehicle is impeding the flow of traffic, or blocking pedestrian crosswalks or sidewalks. Many of the individuals who park in this lot are military or retired military. I feel our law enforcement could easily find more important public safety concerns than rather a member of our Armed Forces is parked in a striped parking space in a commuter lot.

I frustrates me when I drive past a 7-11 convenience are there are easily 50 non-english speaking individuals loitering to seek work for which they will pay no income tax. However, our law enforcement drives right past these individuals and proceeds to ticket military individuals, who parked at the lot to go do work at the Pentagon to help defend our country.

Now for the idiotic individuals who park in the roadways inside the lot, no mercy. But whether someone parks curbside at a bus stop which is not impeding traffic flow. So what. Who is it actually hurting?

Interestingly,

This is the POV of County enforcement.

I called the County & they stated this. They will not ticket anyone in that lot who is not impeding the flow of traffic. When I called the State, they had something different to say. They said that they will ticket any cars not parked in designated spots. So if a County officer is in the lot one day you're OK...but if a State Officer stops by, you may get a ticket.

I think this is confusing for the average person. The State & the County should work together & speak with one voice on this. I emailed them both to say as much.

When I went to court, I had the opportunity to speak with the State Officer assigned to write tickets in Horner Road. He is a very nice man by the way...In my experience / observation, he seems to favor writing tickets on the cars parked on the lines only. When I showed him a few pics & asked him to confirm, he wouldn't come out and say that this is the case. He advised NOT parking in any non designated spot because he believes that ALL of the cars should be ticketed. The judge in the County Court that day stated that they are all aware that the parking situation is bad. She dismissed the charges for everyone who had a parking ticket related to this that day. She advised that we write our State legislature & ask that they provide more parking rather than send officers out to write tickets.

----------
Are you a mom?
southbridgemom View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southbridgemom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 8:53pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic