Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCan yall MOVE?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisad219 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 12:01pm
I have nothing against Hybrids other than I notice they are the majority of the slow pokes. Whether SUV or Hybrid - I think the main point here is stay in the right lane no matter what you drive to allow people to pass. [:D]
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 12:27pm
And let's all hope those drivers passing in the left lane will be courteous enough to let the drivers in the right lane move to the left to make their left-hand exits between DC and the Occoquan (such as Shirlington, Seminary Rd, VA-644, VA-7900, and others).
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2012 at 2:41pm
quote:
Originally posted by mdog

One of the main reasons hybrids are slow is because they are underpowered (smaller engines to keep MPG high) and overweight (extra weight of all those batteries), which becomes apparent in highway high speed driving conditions where power/weight is crucial. Long uphill stretches like b.w Duke and Seminary St. where hybrids struggle to even maintain speed is a good illustration.

However, considering a lot of them are equiped with low rolling resitance (= low friction) tires that are terrible in the road handling and stopping distance departments, them driving slow may be not such a bad thing after all.

The small gasoline engine is made up for by the high torque of the electric motor... Hard acceleration and hard braking are actually where a hybrid stands out, hence their improved mileage in the city.
One really needs to adapt their driving style to the hybrid drivetrain, they aren't the average car. I've gotten the Ford Escape and Fusion Hybrids at work hauling rear on the beltway.

I would love to get a hold of a 1st gen (2000-2006) Honda Insight or 2003-2005 Civic Hybrid. You can really get them moving on a tight road race or autocross course. Unfortunately, finding one that isn't beaten to crap and equipped with a manual transmission is damn near impossible. Until then, I'm kinda stuck with the 1991 Honda CRX.

However I do agree with you on the LRR tires. I keep three sets of wheels for the CRX. Performance all seasons on alloy wheels for everyday use; Snow tires on steelies for the winter; and R-Compounds on ultralight alloy wheels for the track. Proper traction goes a long way towards keeping one from becoming a red smear on the Jersey wall.

-------------------------
Times to beat:
Horner Rd to/from Pentagon: 12 mins Without Slugs - 17 mins With slugs
Dale City exit to/from 3rd St Tunnel, D.C. 18 mins (No slugs - Holiday)
mdog View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 8:59am
quote:
The small gasoline engine is made up for by the high torque of the electric motor... Hard acceleration and hard braking are actually where a hybrid stands out, hence their improved mileage in the city.

Torque is important for acceleration from stand still, and just like you've said, hybrids shine in stop-n-go traffic (or tight road race or autocross course).

However, at highway speeds you primarily need power, not torque, to move fast.
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 12:14pm
quote:

Torque is important for acceleration from stand still, and just like you've said, hybrids shine in stop-n-go traffic (or tight road race or autocross course).

However, at highway speeds you primarily need power, not torque, to move fast.

Not when you weigh less than 2000 lbs and have one of the lowest drag coefficients of any production car. :D

Once you get it up to speed, you can set a feather on the throttle and it'll maintain its speed.

Times to beat:
mdog View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 3:15pm
quote:
Originally posted by Pele
Not when you weigh less than 2000 lbs and have one of the lowest drag coefficients of any production car. :D

Once you get it up to speed, you can set a feather on the throttle and it'll maintain its speed.

I bet all those left lane hoggers OP wrote about think the same...
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 7:14pm
quote:

I bet all those left lane hoggers OP wrote about think the same...

Touche...

My feather is made of lead.

Times to beat:
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2014 at 12:01pm
Actually, my Prius has incredible acceleration when I use the "boost" button, which guns the drive train with immediate torque from the batteries without waiting for the gas-driven power to arrive. Have you seen the videos on Top Gear of the hybrid beating the Porsche at the quarter-mile because it gets up to speed faster?

It is completely true that the hybrids with the exemption are not reducing traffic: they need to have their privileges revoked. But you are mistaken about the battery/electricity/coal thing, at least for regular hybrids: the electricity is generated entirely by the vehicle itself, mostly from braking force being captured - there is no wallplug connected to the grid and its coal plants.

But another point is worth making: plug-in electric vehicles are different -- their emissions are worst on the first day of ownership and then improve every day. Why? Because the grid is itself cleaner every day, over time. Think about it!
KeithO View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeithO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2014 at 4:54pm
Their exemption will be revoked soon (up to Edsell Rd) and then they can pick up Slugs (Yes, I know some already do).

KeithO
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 8:34am
Actually, it's only on I-95 to Edsell. I -66 as well as North of Edsell is still HOV with hybrid exemption.

Interesting that motorcycles are toll exempt, apparently for no reason.

quote:
Originally posted by KeithO

Their exemption will be revoked soon (up to Edsell Rd) and then they can pick up Slugs (Yes, I know some already do).

KeithO

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic