Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHOV HYBRID exemption

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billybaru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HOV HYBRID exemption
    Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 4:24pm

SB 209 HOV lanes; extends sunset provision on use by vehicles with clean
special fuel license plates.

SUMMARY: HOV lanes; use by vehicle with clean special fuel
license plates. Extends until July 1, 2013, the sunset
on use of high-occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes by vehicles bearing clean special fuel license plates,
regardless of the number of occupants.

I am against this proposal. All vehicles using 395 HOV lanes should be three +
occupant regardless of their clean fuel plates. The effort would take two
additonal cars off of the HOV lanes. Reducing traffic should be one goal and promotng carpooling should be the other goal. This extension does not accomplish either.

RetiredMarine View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RetiredMarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 9:22am
Write your delegate
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 3:49pm
quote:
Originally posted by billybaru

SB 209 HOV lanes; extends sunset provision on use by vehicles with clean
special fuel license plates.
[...]
I am against this proposal. All vehicles using 395 HOV lanes should be three + occupant regardless of their clean fuel plates. The effort would take two additonal cars off of the HOV lanes. Reducing traffic should be one goal and promotng carpooling should be the other goal. This extension does not accomplish either.

A better proposal would be to eliminate all but buses. That would take 13+ cars off the express lanes during peak commuting hours. Why the half measure?
smithma View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 7:06pm

A better proposal would be to eliminate all but buses. That would take 13+ cars off the express lanes during peak commuting hours. Why the half measure?

Dude - give it a break. When and your SOV Hybrid gets out of the HOV it will be a better place. Your hybrid gets 35mpg/person on the highway. My car with 3 people gets 65mpg/person on the hwy.
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 12:09pm
Can we please STOP POKING THE TROLL?
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 12:26pm
quote:
Originally posted by smithma

Dude - give it a break. When and your SOV Hybrid gets out of the HOV it will be a better place. Your hybrid gets 35mpg/person on the highway. My car with 3 people gets 65mpg/person on the hwy.
My hybrid gets an average of 40 mpg ALL THE TIME. You only get 65mgg/person when you have 3 people in it. Do you ever have less than 3 people in it?

What about the polution factor. According to and article in the Post, you need to be HOV-5 to match. Does your car take 5 people 100% of the time?

When you and your fellow polluters and gas guzzelers get hybrids, then - and only then - will the express lanes during peak commuting hours be a better place
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 12:28pm
quote:
Originally posted by scottt

Can we please STOP POKING THE TROLL?

Hey scottt!
Back in the day you wanted to debate the cost effectiveness of a hybrid. You insisted that the battery would fail and it would be hard to make payback. I think I had 70K miles back then and had already broken even. Now I'm at 150K miles and on the same battery. How's that crow taste?
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 11:59am
Sorry, following my own advice.
RetiredMarine View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RetiredMarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 7:56am
Just looking forward to the HOT lanes so the Hybrids will either pick up or pay.
Jody View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 10:47am
In the 12 years they've been given the HOV exemption, I've never seen one hybrid driver pick up at the Circuit City lot in Springfield or the 19th St. slug line. I don't plan to take a ride from them and I hope other riders think twice about giving them a quick (and free) commute into DC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic