Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ATTENTION - Horner Road Sluggers!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ATTENTION - Horner Road Sluggers!
    Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 8:10pm
I am relaying this message from the Prince William County Police Department. They are trying to get the word out on a traffic issue at Horner Road Commuter lot. Here is the announcement:

The Prince William County Police Department is seeking the public’s cooperation in correcting a safety situation at the Prince William Parkway / Telegraph Road ( Horner Road ) Commuter Lot. At the bus stops, passenger cars are co-mingling with the buses in the designated BUS ONLY lane during the morning rush. This is unsafe and forces the buses to stop in the travel lane, which further delays through traffic.

The parking of vehicles on the back side of the bus stop islands may be contributing to this – the back side is traditionally where the informal slug lines made pick-ups. The parking of vehicles in this area is not inside of a designated space and will no longer be permitted. Violators will be ticketed and/or towed.

Please help pass the word to other drivers and slugs.
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 8:34pm
Source?

Are they planning on putting in signage or painting the curb?

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e170/pele2048/HOT%20Lanes%20unsafe/ATT03951.jpg

Note that there are FIVE cars parked in the line.

I had a lengthy discussion last Thursday with a Prince William County officer after several other slug drivers and I called in about the parking along the curb in the Pentagon slug pickup.

There are no signs that designate it as a loading and unloading zone.
There is no yellow or red paint on the curb.

It's not enforceable...

Only the van that was blocking the handicap access ramp was ticketed.

Funny thing though... I've gotten tickets at Horner Rd. for parking on the curb that wasn't a loading/unloading zone.
jramage View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jramage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 8:28am
So start towing them already. All these cars parked haphazardly make maneuvering around the lot in the afternoon difficult.
smithma View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2013 at 4:46pm
I suspect there is a sign that says "parking in designated spaces only". Since there are no lines marking these as parking spaces they are not "designated".
diduflos2day View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diduflos2day Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 6:34am
Re: cars/buses mingling :
Why not to change the bus stops to the new, overflow lot? This will open up quite a few parking spaces on the regular lot and improve the traffic flow. Slugging is a great way to de-congest the roadway. Please, don't make it difficult for drivers to pick up passengers. There are easier, more logical ways of doing this.
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 1:55pm
quote:
Originally posted by smithma

I suspect there is a sign that says "parking in designated spaces only". Since there are no lines marking these as parking spaces they are not "designated".

Ah, but parallel parking along a curb is a standard practice.

Someone's gonna go out and spray paint those curbs red or yellow soon, I suspect.
smithma View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 6:50pm
quote:
Originally posted by Pele

Someone's gonna go out and spray paint those curbs red or yellow soon, I suspect.

I hear you. I can't speak to this lot specifically, but in a FFX County lot I got a ticket for parking in an undesignated spot while parallel parked on an unpainted curb. There is one sign by the entrance to the lot that says parking in designated spots only.

Nobody has painted the curbs and enforcement seems to be random. Guess when the cop gets bored or needs to meet his quota he visits the lot.[:(]
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 10:09pm
quote:
Originally posted by smithma

quote:
Originally posted by Pele

I hear you. I can't speak to this lot specifically, but in a FFX County lot I got a ticket for parking in an undesignated spot while parallel parked on an unpainted curb. There is one sign by the entrance to the lot that says parking in designated spots only.

Nobody has painted the curbs and enforcement seems to be random. Guess when the cop gets bored or needs to meet his quota he visits the lot.[:(]

Like I said, I've gotten tickets in the Horner Rd lot as well.
It seems as though enforcement is inconsistent.
Hopefully signage will alleviate this problem.
lisad219 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisad219 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 2:06pm
The State Police were out in full force this morning. They have also been out the past couple making sure no one parks in the slug line. I think it's great! [:X] One thing is they really should enforce parking more consistantly (parking in cross walks, on islands, etc) because they would make a killing!
old_timer View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old_timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 5:52pm
That was a count Policeman that was there for almost a week. I think he was there to enforce the "no parking" signs on the cones he put there. (He's gone, the cones are still there, signs are missing.) Anyway, all I saw him doing was blocking trafic with his vehicle. He did mention that there was talk that the curbs were going to be painted yellow. There are already signs that say park in designated spaces only. I guess some people are just lazy and don't want to hike all the way from the back end of the lot to the slug lines or get up early enough to actually get a real spot. They do ticket cars improperly parked but this is very seldom and inconsistant. The people getting the ticket probably fight the ticket saying others park there and never get a ticket. I've seen warning tickets on the windshield but what good is that? That person won't park there but someone else will. I'm talking about the small lot between the big first and second lots. Prince William County should either consistantly enforce the parking or just stay out of it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic