Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BlackBerry Bus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2013 at 7:36pm

I haven't ridden this bus yet. However, . . .

Because there are less drivers during the summer months, I don't have a problem with this bus operating during that time. During the summer, riders wait twice as long for rides (both morning and evening). This system was built on patience and flexibility. And that worked when it was HOV 4 in the 70s. When it is hot and the line is long, it does test every riders' patience. .

scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2013 at 9:43am
quote:
Originally posted by colossus911

I convinced my partners to change away from blackberry's products directly because of this bus. There are 25 employees in our firm and we all changed last year after I ranted about this in a principals meeting.

Whole process has easy solution, if we can cost blackberry more customers then they get from the promotion we win.

See thing I don't get is why Blackberry thinks it is a winning process. I am guessing most riding slugs don't control the purchasing authority for their firms/offices, while I would bet there are more than a few drivers who do.

If anyone (running a business) made a decision to switch their mobile platform based SOLELY on a bus picking people up, then I have to laugh.
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2013 at 9:47am
quote:
Originally posted by ETC

Have to agree that the BB Bus ruins slugging for drivers. This is supposed to be symbiotic relationship

Where do you draw the line? People who pick up 3 instead of 2? What about a mini van who decides to fill every seat (to the cheers of the people getting in)?
mpatoka View Drop Down
Junior Slug
Junior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpatoka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2013 at 1:14pm
The BB bus is not deliberately ruining slugging. They were pulling up to the 610 lot in the morning last week and there have been 60+ people waiting for 30 minutes for a ride. As soon as the bus pulled up, people flocked each day with no impact to the few cars that were showing up. It's like anything, some days lots of slug, few cars and vice versa.

I'm not sure how effective this type of advertising is because I know many people were just taking the ride and not using the the BB gadgets during that time, as was the intent.
RetiredMarine View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RetiredMarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 7:35am
I wish more companies would do this, this doesn't hurt slugging!!!
colossus911 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colossus911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2013 at 4:49pm
Bus stopped and picked up every rider going to Rolling Valley one night. Sitting in traffic behind the #$%@#54 bus and watched rider after rider get in ignoring the guy behind waiting for riders....doesn't hurt slugging...sure.
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013 at 8:07am
Oh my gosh, you had to wait.....in your fully air conditioned car, while seated comfortably. Whereas I have waited: in 100+ degree heat, in 20 degree cold, in pouring rain, in blinding snow. All while standing, sometimes as long as an hour. So I think you waiting comfortably for a bit until two more people show up is quite alright.
ETC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ETC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013 at 11:04am
Problem with the BB bus is that slugging is a two way street. Drivers give you FREE rides into the city in exchange for a faster trip. Drivers in turn should expect to be able to pick up riders leaving the city. Riders basically are paying the drivers by allowing access to HOV and a faster transport. Win-Win. BB bus throws a wrench in the system.
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2013 at 11:12am
Again, as I mentioned. What about the guy who picks up 3 people? The Minivan that picks up 6? To quote Jean-Lic Picard, "How many does it take before it becomes wrong?"
ETC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ETC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2013 at 2:48pm
Actually, if the line of drivers is long, I only pick up two. Only when the line of riders is long do I pick up more than two. Have to look out for each other. So yes a BUS that has the capacity to pick up 20+ is undermining the system. (I mean, if you are the rider, it's great! But don't get angry at me if I never pick up more than two and leave someone standing waiting for a ride.)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic