Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BlackBerry Bus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kajal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BlackBerry Bus
    Posted: 27 Aug 2013 at 12:44pm
There is a mini-bus (25-30 passenger capacity) sponsored by BlackBerry that is picking up passengers at Bob's. This morning I was behind the bus. It picked up everyone who was in line (about 10-12 persons) except for one guy who decided on principle that he was not going to ride with them and came with me (THANK YOU!). this means that at least 5-6 cars behind the bus had to wait extra time to find passengers. The bus did the same thing for a long time at the Rolling Valley slug line. It wreaked havoc for the drivers who had to wait long periods of time to find passengers. Sometimes the bus will even wait until it is full before leaving!

Is there a way to stop them? Can the authorities (who??) intervene?
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 4:52pm
Sorry, I have to object. The bus has its pluses and minuses. I recall once when the bus stopped at the 19th and F pickup line. That day the line was VERY long. Thanks to the bus, I got home at my usual time, vs 30-45 mins later. I've ridden it 4 times. Another time it was a very long line at Bob's on the 18th St line. It was great to go from 25th in line to getting a ride. They will only be running the bus for a few more days (according to them) so you won't have to put up with it much longer. I, for one, will miss it.
billybaru View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billybaru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 8:48am
I feel that this taints the whole "slug" system. Although blackberry may end this promotion who is next ? The Clorox bus ? The Tide express ? If this continues drivers will be discouraged to pick up slugs because .....well there aren't any in line. The system is based on people donating a seat in their car and in return the slugs get a free ride into DC. Simple and it works, why disrupt something that works. just my two cents respectfully
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 9:46am
I didn't find it to be a disruption. In the afternoon at 19th and F, there were still PLENTY of people in line when they came and picked up. At Bob's in the morning, there was only one car behind them, and 2 people from the back of the line got in. Perhaps the bus is more of a disruption at other lines, however I found it to be great for the lines I use.
RetiredMarine View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RetiredMarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2013 at 3:07pm
I think this is great for the slugs and reduces the amount of cars on the road!!
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 8:08am
Rode it the other day. They are extending it thru Sept. I told them we could really use them in Dec/Jan/Feb :-)
jonmalay View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonmalay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 7:27am
The Blackberry busses (and others which may follow) are a serious disruption to a very good system. There's an inherent "contract" between riders and drivers. The riders offer themselves as HOV passengers and drivers offer a free ride. If riders willingly get on the BB bus, they're breaking the contract. Drivers, who of course pay for gas and parking, are left with fewer riders and have every right to be angry. I'm not a lawyer, just a ticked off driver who is asking riders to step onto the bus, tell its driver to leave, get off, and then get into one of the cars waiting to give them a FREE ride. Just saying...

Jon
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 8:40am
I'd love to see you try that argument when it's 20 degrees and snowing.
ETC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ETC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 10:00am
Have to agree that the BB Bus ruins slugging for drivers. This is supposed to be symbiotic relationship
colossus911 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colossus911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 11:49am
I convinced my partners to change away from blackberry's products directly because of this bus. There are 25 employees in our firm and we all changed last year after I ranted about this in a principals meeting.

Whole process has easy solution, if we can cost blackberry more customers then they get from the promotion we win.

See thing I don't get is why Blackberry thinks it is a winning process. I am guessing most riding slugs don't control the purchasing authority for their firms/offices, while I would bet there are more than a few drivers who do.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic